Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Quick dumb question (Hopeing for a quick smart answer)

Taking the boy this weekend for a quick overnight in the piney woods of MS. Low is expected down to 35+. I have a lot of Reflectix left over from my cosey making and wondered the following:

Take a length of reflectix lay in the bottom of a HH Expl and HH Expd, place sleeping bag on top and go from there.

I have read all the threads on condensation, etc. Just wondering if this is a really bad idea for one night or a good idea for one night (and maybe beyond). I will be getting a UQ at some point in the future for me and likely for the boy since it looks as though he is going to be gung ho on this, but in the short run, Thunbs up or Thumbs down.

You just have to make sure you adequately ventilate.

My pleather couch is water-proof, yet I don't sit and sweat on it, even when I sleep on it. Because I'm using a blanket and have good ventilation.

In the military your actual bed (more like a REALLY thick pad) is waterproof, plastic coated. I never sat and sweat in bed or had condensation issues.

Make sure you ventilate and you'll be fine.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I don't think you will be warm at 35. You would be better to run by wally world and pick up a couple of those cheap CCF pads.

That's just 2 cents.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    You just have to make sure you adequately ventilate.

My pleather couch is water-proof, yet I don't sit and sweat on it, even when I sleep on it. Because I'm using a blanket and have good ventilation.

In the military your actual bed (more like a REALLY thick pad) is waterproof, plastic coated. I never sat and sweat in bed or had condensation issues.

Make sure you ventilate and you'll be fine.
    Will the hammock itself be enough ventilation? Setting Hex flies kindof high so I have enough top vent I'm sure, just the bottom I'm gigin' about.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I don't think you will be warm at 35. You would be better to run by wally world and pick up a couple of those cheap CCF pads.

That's just 2 cents.
    I've got 30" x 48" DIY CCF pads already. Just looking for something else a little more, well, moldable to the hammock. Probably not making sense what I'm driving at but anyway.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post

That's just 2 cents.
    +1

I wouldn't worry as much about condensation, especially with a younger one that doesn't sweat as much as us adults.

But, I'd be concerned that it might not be warm enough. I'm always a bit of the worrier about the kids, but I'd definitely add a CCF pad as well.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    I've got 30" x 48" DIY CCF pads already. Just looking for something else a little more, well, moldable to the hammock. Probably not making sense what I'm driving at but anyway.
    Makes sense. Both will be plenty moldable - especially for a kiddo.

I'd use both.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

I disagree, I think you'll be warm. I've used it on frozen ground and been warm. Also, WW CCF is 2.5 R-value. Minimum r-value for reflectix, according to their site, is 3.7.'

I'm sorry, http://sectionhiker.com/sleeping-pad-r-values/ has the REI Standard Blue Foam listed at 1.4. I think it's better than that though. But still, for perspective a Synmat UL 7 has an R-value of 3.1 and it's recommended down to 32*.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    CCF for sure especially for the young'in, hate to see the young'in get a bad taste for the woods from getting cold. Hey have a blast and keep us posted with a trip report
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    not to bump this off topic but 35 in MS in April is freaking nutty. (I can only hope it stays cool by mid may when my first trip take place). carry on and have fun!!

on second thought... bring it all and experiment. Southern humidity and all the rain we have blowing through this evening is gonna make everything moist this weekend anyways.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast