At this years Mt. Rogers hang out I was introduced to a new material to use as a vapor barrier. FishinFinn had an under quilt made from a thing called a Thermadrape. What's a Thermadrape (TD) you ask?A TD is a blanket made from Mylar (space blanet) with a soft backing. According to the PDF I found it's constructed from:

Cellulose and Cotton--enhances patient comfort and reduces the cooling effects of evaporation caused by perspiration.
Low Density Polyethylene--acts as a water-repellent layer to fluids.
Aluminum--retains heat; applied in droplet form which stops conduction.
The TD has almost none of the plastic-bag-like crinkle that you normally get from a space blanket or plastic sheeting vapor barriers. It is light weight (7.6oz for an unmodified TD), compacts down to a small size, and seems to be much sturdier than space blanket I've come across. Could this be the ultimate in vapor barriers?

FishinFinn had made an under quilt/vapor barrier that he used at Mt Rogers. He assumed that it added another 15-20* of warmth to his hammock setup. He will have to provide details on the quilt

Here's a shot of the package.

Here's a shot of an unmodified TD, a shot of the front and backside of the material, and a closeup of the material.

I am really excited about he potential of this material. FishinFinn sent me my TD so I have no idea where to buy them. I would assume that you could get them from a medical supply store.

My TD also included this ultra-cool head cover. I plan on making it into some sort of pot cozy or perhaps I will use it to make fake UFO videos by filming it sailing through the air