Hammock
    Clark NX-250 / Clark Vertex
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    Clark Z-Liners
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    What about a DD Tarp? Prices from £32 up to £42.

DD Hammocks (Different Tarps)
    “Yesterday is history,
    tomorrow is a mystery,
    but today is a gift.
    That's why it is called the present

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Smile

TRUER WORDS NEVER SPOKEN:

"SilvrSurfr: Light and cheap aren't usually found together. Don't waste money on a crappy tarp.

Boothill: +1 on this, imo it's better to save for a bit longer and get something that you won't want to replace, not saying any of the tarps listed aren't perfectly fine, but i have found if i buy something that isn't what i really want but i get it to save money it ends up costing me more in the long run

Save another $50 and you can get something like warbonnets bmj or wilderness logics big daddy and have something you may never even want to replace, just my 2¢"

If you still want to go down the less than $60 tarp trail here are some reviews and/or pictures of various tarps for you to peruse:

Sportsman's Warehouse (supposedly cheap tarp: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70111

DD hammock's Built-Like-A-Tank very large and fairly heavy tarp: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=DD+tarp

Here are some pictures showing the Hennessy Asym tarp, Sportsman's Emergency Shelter, and the 14-8' X 9-8' DD tarp all flat on the ground (this will show you exactly how each is sized and shaped): https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=DD+tarp

I tried using the 12' Noah's for a few trips on top of my HH. From my perspective: the tarp was too heavy; too large; and needed lots of stakes to tie down. On the plus side, the tarp was very well made. (Sorry can't find pix)

Others, much more sage and experienced than I, strongly suggest that you do some "Tarp Thinking," before going "Tarp Shopping/Buying." For instance, ask yourself:

Under what conditions am I going to be using this tarp? (Mufti-season use may lend itself to a tarp with doors.)

Am I going to be mostly going "Car Camping/Short Backpacking Trips" or am I going to be carrying my tarp for longer distance? (Longer distance tarp carries usually suggest buying a lighter tarp.)

What trip duration do I prefer? (Generally speaking, longer duration trips mean wider weather and temperature shifts. While having some mist spill over into your hammock on an overnight might be an inconvenience; wet sleeping and/or hiking clothes on a mufti-day trip could be the difference between hypothermia and survival. Longer duration trips suggest buying a more robust, well made, and highly waterproof/windproof tarp.)

Will my hammock camping needs be satisfied by a single tarp.....or even by a single tarp "For Now?"
    (As suggested by other posters, you could buy a cheap tarp to use under controlled weather or overnight use conditions while you save money for a good quality light tarp. Or alternately, you could buy a smaller good quality light tarp for summer use only....and save money to buy a high quality 3 or 4 season tarp sometime in the future.

P.S. Living on a fixed income myself, I certainly understand the problem with having champagne tastes...and a generic beer income! But just think: if you have at least one ---or better yet several--- small indulgences you enjoy each week (sodas, ice cream, movie/video rentals, store-bought large chain coffee) by skipping the indulgence and putting the money aside....you could probably buy an excellent quality tarp....in 6 months or less. Heck, I bought my Warbonnet Superfly tarp on Paypal and spent the next year paying it off.

Just saying, which is more important to you, having an extremely short term feel good buzz (particularly in the case of caffeine) or being able to enjoy the great outdoors like a King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    HH Exp., Eno DN
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    JRB nest, pad
    Suspension
    rap rings
    I got a Hennessey Hex for $64.95 on Amazon prime. Great tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rcam1977 View Post
    Check out www.bargainoutfitters.com
    They have a 11.5 x 14 tarp on sale got 19.99
    That thing's a dog, in my opinion.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    +1 on the WL tadpole for $85 + shipping
    http://wildernesslogics.com/TAD-POLE-Tad-Pole.htm

same price on the Warbonnet Edge in brown
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php

My other choice would be DIY with SilNylon 2nds, but DIY gear supply is currently out of stock of the seconds and by the time you buy 7 yards of SilNylon first quality fabric you are already at $65 without webbing, tie-outs, thread and shipping so the above choices make more sense.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Don't waste money on a crappy tarp. I did, and wish I hadn't.
    +1

I got the Hammock Bliss All Purpose Shelter, which is just a 10' x 5' tarp weighing just under a pound, for $35 and thought I was getting a steal. It did the job, since I never got any major rain while I used it, but I never had any confidence in my ability to ride out weather... Now I have a Superfly and I'm hoping to get a chance to intentionally ride out a storm here soon. You couldn't pay me to try that with the old one.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    Now I have a Superfly and I'm hoping to get a chance to intentionally ride out a storm here soon. You couldn't pay me to try that with the old one.
    Wait until you get a chance to hang in a major rain storm with the Superfly, you will be a happy hanger. I was in a rainstorm last fall that was just a complete DELUGE of rain, and there I lay in my Blackbird under my Superfly with the doors shut and never got a drop of anything on me or my gear all night. I remember thinking to myself that if I was on my old tent, I'd be getting soaked from so much rain. But there I lay, all warm and comfortable

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    +1 Tadpole. Love that thing. Here's my video review of one of mine.

If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now

Tarps

The WB Edge is similar to the Tadpole and is also $85. Mines coming in the mail today! Got it for my 8yo son and for me to use when I don't need the SuperFly.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Wait until you get a chance to hang in a major rain storm with the Superfly, you will be a happy hanger. I was in a rainstorm last fall that was just a complete DELUGE of rain, and there I lay in my Blackbird under my Superfly with the doors shut and never got a drop of anything on me or my gear all night. I remember thinking to myself that if I was on my old tent, I'd be getting soaked from so much rain. But there I lay, all warm and comfortable
    I cannot wait. I used to live in a house with a tin roof and I'd get so excited everytime the rain started just before bed. I can only imagine how nice a storm in the Superfly will be. I just need to wait for a night where I can get in and set up with enough light to check for widow makers before the storm gets going. I've already warned the wife that one day the right forecast will come and I'm gonna hit the ground running.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast