Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarps

Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

Tarps

I'm looking for an at least okay tarp. I don't really care about doors just something under $60 maybe. Only need to keep dry and keep light. So any recommendations for a tarp under these specifications?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    Scrounge local construction sites for tyvek, or a blue poly tarp are the cheapest. My tyvek 9'x9' hung as a diamond is great coverage, and IRC tyvek house wrap is around 1.25oz sq/yrd. The Kelty Noah's tarp 9 gets good reviews and is about $60, but the newer ones have a lower waterproof rating than previous years.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    [QUOTE= The Kelty Noah's tarp 9 gets good reviews and is about $60, but the newer ones have a lower waterproof rating than previous years.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know. I was thinking about a Noah, but I may reconsider. Does anybody know much about the Appalachian Hammock tarp? I know it's more expensive than what the op was asking, but it looks like a good tarp for down here in Florida.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Light and cheap aren't usually found together. Don't waste money on a crappy tarp. I did, and wish I hadn't.

If you get a Hennessy Hex, $79.95, 23 oz., and 144" x 120", that will get you started. I've also heard good things about the WL Tadpole, $85, 11.5 oz., 132" x 92", but it's not going to give you as much coverage as the HH Hex.

Some people think the Sportsman's Guide tarps are a good value, and they're on sale right now. Personally, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rgency+shelter

Here's one review:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=70111

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    +1 to what SilvrSurfr said. I went the route of a big "inexpensive" tarp to get something for some Fall camping last year (just started hanging last fall), the price was great...then I got the tarp and and to re-sew most of the seams and re-inforce all the tie out points.

Yeah, making the mods was a learning experience...but in the long run I could have A) made a better tarp than what I received for the price I paid or B) spent a little more and get what I just ordered today...Wilderness Logistics TadPole.

Staying dry is important...I can understand money being a concern, this hobby can get pricey, but be prepared to have to buy something better in a year
    or mod what you get before you can realistically use it.

I picked up my Tadpole for $85 plus $5 and changes for shipping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Bushcraft outfitters has a 10x10, good quality, for $60.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Tarps

Check out www.bargainoutfitters.com
    They have a 11.5 x 14 tarp on sale got 19.99

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dl
    Tarp
    WB Edge or SF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB web or whoopies
    Images
    My $.02, grab a blue poly tarp to start and then save up for a good tarp. Why spend $40-$60 on a tarp that you will want to replace because of the weight? Save up the $80ish for an edge from WB (i love mine) or a tadpole. They might not be the biggest tarps, but they provide plenty of coverage to stay dry and they are light.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrprince View Post
    My $.02, grab a blue poly tarp to start and then save up for a good tarp. Why spend $40-$60 on a tarp that you will want to replace because of the weight? Save up the $80ish for an edge from WB (i love mine) or a tadpole. They might not be the biggest tarps, but they provide plenty of coverage to stay dry and they are light.
    +1 on this, imo it's better to save for a bit longer and get something that you won't want to replace, not saying any of the tarps listed aren't perfectly fine, but i have found if i buy something that isn't what i really want but i get it to save money it ends up costing me more in the long run

save another $50 and you can get something like warbonnets bmj or wilderness logics big daddy and have something you may never even want to replace, just my 2¢

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrprince View Post
    +1

$60 range is the no-mans land of tarps. Go with a $15 one and/or save up for one in the $80-100 range. Tadpole, Edge or Mamajamba would all treat you well.

Or, if you have any do-it-yourself skills, you can make your own for about $60.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast