Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Newbie Question

Hi Guys,
    I bought my hammock last summer. I've slept in it about 3 times. Love it so far. My question is: Would you or have you heard of anyone placing some type of perimeter around the hammock (ie- paracord with aluminum or tin cans tied to it) to scare any large animal from stumbling/approaching the hammock when i'm asleep in the thing? I know people joke about it being a bear piñata and stuff like that and not to sound paranoid but I'm just wondering if its something I should be concerned about?

Best and thank you all for any feedback/input

Armando

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    As long as you don't set up along a wildlife run, you shouldn't have too much of a concern. Setting up during day time you can see where they have worn out their paths, but setting up after dark may pose a problem.

And the biggie of cooking away from your sleep area.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    +1 on STinGA, If you are new to the woods in general there are some of those feelings and concerns to be expected. The animals are most of the time more scared of you so I would not worry about a perimeter of sorts. So watch the game trails, I was on a trip, got in after dark and set up on a hillside right over a heavily traveled game trail and luckily nothing came barreling down the hill that night or I would have been abruptly awoken Find some buddies to go and you will naturally start to develop a trust in the wild and may even get the urge to do some solo trips. Just get out as often as you can, be mindful of your surroundings and your food,cook and hang food well away from your sleeping area and enjoy the best peace you can have, hanging between two trees in the middle of no where. Welcome to the forums!! And watch Shugs videos, here is a good one to start with, there are 9 more in the series for the new hammocker and many others of his videos are not only informational but hilarious!!

"I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    + 1 on Mountnman..the more often you can get out, the more comfortable you will be. I still get a twinge occasionally on the first night out, if I haven't been out in a while. You will be surprized how comfortable you get after a few nights in a row in the woods. However, if setting up a perimeter/warning system helps you enjoy your time out there, go for it!
    Last edited by Duffy; 04-21-2013 at 04:34.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    I forget which series it was, but i'm sure i can find it on youtube, a man tries to survive in the canadian forests for 3 months on his own. He use a portable eletric fence around his hammock to keep bears away.

though not sure how well it works on a starving grissly......
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your responses. Mountnman you are right, Shug is hilarious!!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've read some posts from people who share your fear, though can't find them right now.

Last year, I had a porcupine walk into my camp at night while I was cooking dinner - he just walked right up, five feet from me. I jumped up and was flailing and waving my arms, shining my headlamp at him. He ran off and settled about 100 feet away. I could see his beady red eyes staring at me for a couple of hours. Had a hard time getting to sleep that night. I still have nightmares about that porcupine.

Hiking out in the morning, I met the porcupine on the trail less than a few hundred yards from my campsite. I chased him up a tree just to exact some revenge.

My snoring scares just about any critter away.

I rarely have issues with my food hang. Critters keep going after my boots in the middle of the night. I'm seriously afraid of waking up one morning to missing boots cause salt crazed critter ate them.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Newbie Question

I have had a few sniffs in south Texas... But that's about it... I am also fortunate to be able to be armed in my camping spots... So that helps with any concerns...

I have had an armadillo trip over my tarp lines... Made a neck of a racket and woke me up because the tarp shook so bad, poor guy was at a dead run when he hit it apparently...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Newbie Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    +1 on STinGA, If you are new to the woods in general there are some of those feelings and concerns to be expected. The animals are most of the time more scared of you so I would not worry about a perimeter of sorts. So watch the game trails, I was on a trip, got in after dark and set up on a hillside right over a heavily traveled game trail and luckily nothing came barreling down the hill that night or I would have been abruptly awoken Find some buddies to go and you will naturally start to develop a trust in the wild and may even get the urge to do some solo trips. Just get out as often as you can, be mindful of your surroundings and your food,cook and hang food well away from your sleeping area and enjoy the best peace you can have, hanging between two trees in the middle of no where. Welcome to the forums!! And watch Shugs videos, here is a good one to start with, there are 9 more in the series for the new hammocker and many others of his videos are not only informational but hilarious!!

I agree, find some friends to hang with and build our comfort level up, I'm not comfortable enough my self to go camping by myself yet, the night noises kind of freak my out, hoping o be able to get over that one day and just be able to go into the woods by my self for an overnighter and enjoy the solace of being alone in the forest and kicking back in he hammock and just watching the stars in the sky and listening to a nearby stream

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast