Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ

04.08-09.13 Wilson River Trail Backpack (Oregon)

16.0 miles, 2000' gained, 1 night(s)

I have been wanting to do this trail for a long time. My original hope was to do a thru-hike with car shuttle but I was only able to get one friend to go with me, so we picked the Jones Creek to Elk Creek section with the intention to do an in-n-out backpack, camping at the Elk Creek Campground for the night.

We hit the trail around 9:30a and knocked out the first 7.5 miles (to the Kings Mt. Trailhead) around 12:30-1p and stopped for lunch. I really enjoyed the lush green environment. I felt like I was in the Olympic NP/NF walking through some of the woods and crossing some of the creeks. I didn't have a good map for this area (actually, I had a PDF file I had printed out with distances and that was about it) and had no idea what the elevation gains were going to be, aside from what I had read on portlandhikers.org. The first 7.5 miles was mostly going up, then gradually coming down to the Kings Mt. TH, where we again spent the final 3.5 miles going up, up and more up, before a nice steep drop into the Elk Creek CG.

This trip was designed to be "easy" so we could test out new gear. I had a new Hennessy Hyperlite hammock, a new Enlightened 20 degree top quilt, and a new MicroRocket canister stove. My friend was also trying out a new air mattress and a JetBoil stove.

We set up camp and I realized I definitely need to change out my suspension on my hammock. The stock suspension is not ideal, so I had some fun practicing my knots and getting it to work. I brought my hex tarp just in case it looked like rain but the weather looked like it was going to hold, so I used the stock tarp instead.

We cooked up dinner, got water from the river, and basically enjoyed some down time at camp. 11 miles in one day is the most I have backpacked (not the most I have walked...but that's another story!) and once we stopped, I realized that my outer ankle on the right foot was really sore. I have had this happen before but thought I would be fine in the morning.

I slept like a baby in the new hammock, only had to adjust the tarp and underquilt once. No cold butt syndrome, and it never rained, so I feel like I got pretty lucky. We made breakfast and got all packed up in the morning. I tried walking and my ankle was very "upset". This was not good. There was no way I was going to be able to limp back the 11 miles to our car.

Lucky for me I had set this trip up to have an exit plan...aka the "walk of shame" on Hwy. 6. It was 11 miles by trail to the car, but only 5 miles and on fairly level road (my ankle was having problems with a lot of the up/down and side to side movement on the trail). I knew I could make it 5 miles and so we set off, walking carefully on the shoulder of the road. Having walked 500 miles on the Camino de Santiago, some of it very similar to this situation, I sucked it up and pretended I was in Spain walking the Camino.

While I was severely disappointed in not returning the way we came, I look at the trip as a success and a learning experience. We had a great time and I am looking forward to doing the other section of the trail.

Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Love the green in the pics and the shots of the gear.
    Bummer about your ankle. I hope it gets feeling better.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Beautiful pics...

Your ankle no doubt was still swollen and inflamed the next morning. For short overnight trips, I like to take ibuprofen once in the morning and once before I turn in, regardless of how I feel. It gives the med a head start to keep the natural swelling down that trips like this produce in my old joints. Works like magic, never any pain....

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    That's a very pretty trail,,well groomed. Very nice pics as well. Sorry to hear about the ankle. Thanks for sharing.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I will never get tired of looking at the woods of Oregon. Beautiful photos!

Fronkey

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20 UQ
    Thanks everyone! My ankle is doing better as long as I don't wear boots. Planning to get a PT appt soon because I am pretty sure this is a biomechanical issue. I did take ibuprofen, Canadian-style (400mg tabs!), which I am sure helped.

Just got back from a car camping trip in Eastern Oregon that was EPIC! Trip report coming later this week.
    Blog: www.renegadepilgrim.com
    Tumblr/Instagram/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    seriously, the woods there are spectacular!!!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks. Your pictures remind me of how I need to make a return trip to Oregon.

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Thanks. Your pictures remind me of how I need to move back to the PNW.
    Beautiful.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Thanks for sharing mate. Great pics and a sharp setup with the HH and just the two tie outs.... always loved that!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

• + New Posts