Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images

How do you hang

..your hammock indoors? I am working on hanging 2 hammocks in a bedroom for fulltime (365 nights/yr) use. I have no room for stands. The walls are plaster over lathboard. Need your suggestions, experiences. Thanks!

- Duffy
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    ..your hammock indoors? I am working on hanging 2 hammocks in a bedroom for fulltime (365 nights/yr) use. I have no room for stands. The walls are plaster over lathboard. Need your suggestions, experiences. Thanks!

- Duffy
    Are you sure you can't do the portable pipe stand? You could go from wall to wall and lose only a foot or less and you can do whatever height you wanted.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    Are you sure you can't do the portable pipe stand? You could go from wall to wall and lose only a foot or less and you can do whatever height you wanted.
    Thanks, Dave! Looks like that would work, but I'm hoping to mount directly to the walls. I'll keep it in mind.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Here's a stand I built for indoor/outdoor use, still looking a bit unfinished in this pic. The wooden parts are 1 1/8" hardwood broomstick handles at about $6 each. Packs away in a lawn chair bag.

David

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Indoor hang

Use a 2x4 floor to ceiling on each side of the room to capture the horizontal pipe, and several screws or toggle bolts to mount 2x4 onto wall, 2x4 holds vertical force and pipe holds horizontal force. Wall and screws handle forces on plane with the wall. If someone starts swinging really heavily then all bets are off. It worked in my buddy's house which had plaster walls.
    He made his son's room a camo camping theme. Hung camo hammock, camo tarp, camo everything. Pretty neat. His wife insisted on having a bed in there. Rarely gets used.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Here's a stand I built for indoor/outdoor use, still looking a bit unfinished in this pic. The wooden parts are 1 1/8" hardwood broomstick handles at about $6 each. Packs away in a lawn chair bag.

David

Hey that's really nice. How heavy is it? Do you have instructions for building it?
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    It's a very small bedroom - 10' x 11' - if that helps...
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Hey that's really nice. How heavy is it? Do you have instructions for building it?
    It's probably in the mid to high teens, I'm still working out some design issues to make it easier to build for non-woodworking types and simplify some of my hardware choices to more commonly available items.

That little piece of aluminum tubing that joins the top rail is an oddball size I had to order from a place that supplies materials for making antennas. I use bicycle seat post clamps to limit the travel of the top rail at the tripods. Should be able to come up with some better options.

David

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Somewhere behind the lath & plaster are 2x4 studs. Finding them can be an issue, but most electrical outlets/switches are tacked into them on one side. An older (1920-1930's), well built home should have the studs 16" on center. Trick is to find one where you want it and screw your vertical 2x4 to it.
    You can do the square frame out of 2x4's and reinforce it with gussets, which can be trip problems like tent stakes or head bangers if they are low enough.
    The framing and gussets are centered with your hammock.
    Drill any holes for screws in the plaster first. Tapping into it with a hammer and nails or big screws can cause stress cracks and may even do more damage.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    Somewhere behind the lath & plaster are 2x4 studs. Finding them can be an issue, but most electrical outlets/switches are tacked into them on one side. An older (1920-1930's), well built home should have the studs 16" on center. Trick is to find one where you want it and screw your vertical 2x4 to it.
    You can do the square frame out of 2x4's and reinforce it with gussets, which can be trip problems like tent stakes or head bangers if they are low enough.
    The framing and gussets are centered with your hammock.
    Drill any holes for screws in the plaster first. Tapping into it with a hammer and nails or big screws can cause stress cracks and may even do more damage.
    Thank you! The house was built in the '50's (Florida tract house). The studs are concrete hard, but I believe they are 16'' on center. Appreciate the tip about drilling first.
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast