Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    Was it MedicineMan who came off with a line like that not too long ago n another thread?
    Could this be some kind of yet-to-be-identified hammocker's disease?!?

-Klauss
    They deleted that Medicine Man thread - it was the best thread ever. Something like "Cottage vendor what my corn flakes went to market and this proves fried chicken!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    A ULA pack is a great idea. A Circuit might be a perfect pack for your situation. You can shave weight quickly with that and a few other choices.

For me, a two-pronged approach was definitely needed. Lighten the pack down to 12-15 lb base weight (depending on which hammock, if bear canister is needed, etc.). Then, strengthen and lighten me! It's amazing how day hikes can be so different than overnights. Luckily, I was always faster than the slowest scout so I could always hang at the back and not feel too slow. But, get out on a guys trip and I was usually the one slowing down the group.

So, I started a regiment of slight diet, but mostly leg and cardio stuff to get me better fit. Cutting weight off my body and adding muscle goes even further when you're trying to cut the weight from the pack.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Yeah thats my beauty of a multicam pack and I dont intend to give it up for good (unless I have to). As for the hammock, I do love it, it's hard to beat the Cadillac of hammocks the clarks NX-250. But I do know I am comfortable in a blackbird and was thinking of getting one for the warmer months anyways. A single 1.9 layer black bird weighs in at 1.69 lbs and the clark NX250 sans z-liner is 3lbs 12 oz. Sounds like a decent starting point, besides brandon was trying to talk me into it at the wolf hang anyways, and I kinda feel he made a multicam hammock just for me........

Would be rude not to get one to say thanks.
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    My pack is 6 pounds. Deuter AirContact. It feels pretty good when on, but I would love to go to an ACT Lite and drop 3 pounds. The **** thing still looks new, I cant justify (to my wife...) buying another one.
    I did move to Down top/bottom quilts with a net loss of 1.5 pounds of sleeping bag. It can be done for a price!
    I know a few ultralighters. They go ultralight by leaving most everything home, then ask to borrow your stove, matches, water filter...
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have a Go-Lite pinnacle pack. I think it weighs around 2lbs, and about 3lbs lighter than my previous pack. My hammock, tarp and insulation weigh less (not sure how much, though) than just my previous t**t. I think the last time I checked, my base weight was around 15lbs. I am not trying to get to "ultralite" but am pretty happy with where I am right now.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works

I give up, time to try this ultralight nonsense...

Personally, going to a lighter pack (7lb 12oz to 2lb 7oz) was fantastic, although ill be the first to admit my bad habit of taking things I don't use or really need is the main reason my pack is so heavy. Its a long learning process I guess.

Plus its much easier (and cheaper) to drop weight myself before looking into dropping things from my pack. I'm probably carrying an extra fully loaded pack's worth weight in here somewhere between holiday sweets and general laziness.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    With your pack and hammock weights, you definitely have some opportunity to lose some weight.

I recommend you deal with your backpack last... you could get a UL pack, but if the rest of your gear is still heavy, it won't be a good experience. UL packs (say around 2-3 lbs) don't carry heavy gear well.

So, I'd work on all the other bits, like hammock, tarp, cloths, cook kit, rain gear, etc... and reduce weight there... then you can determine what pack would be a good fit.

Or you could get the lightweight pack, carry it with a heavy load, and then be motivated to drop pack weight

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Rings and webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post
    Well my packs 8 lbs, and the hammocks close to 5 lbs....
    So me thinks they be the first to get lightened. But a scale is a good idea too...
    That's a heavy hammock! My Hennessey is 1.3kg with fly, and that's the base model. But, if it gives you a great night sleep, I'd look at lightening it last.

My wife has a fancy 7 lb pack. I made a G4 pack this spring. It weighs 390 g.

If ya care, here is my skin-out load for a 5 day trip this summer (un-tested): http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10823

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree. Start with a smaller and much lighter backpack if you want to trim weight.....http://youtu.be/byCBlRoNY2E
    A bit at a time until you can hump your load with a grin and light step down the trail.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Altitude + heavy pack will eat your lunch.
    I replaced my Kelty Radial external frame at 8+ pounds with a 60L Granite Gear Crown pack. Not ultralight yet, but will be at around 25# with enough gear & food to survive at 10k feet with some time on the ground above the tree line if I have to hunker down somewhere. Trips run 3 - 10 days.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast