Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Given what I see on the trail and read in the papers I'm in the minority, but...

Dogs should always, always be on leash. It's best for the wildlife and others on the trail but, more importantly I think, it's best for the dog. A couple times each year, my local paper runs stories of dogs caught in traps. They're pretty sad stories. And of course there are other 'threats' to domestic dogs in the wilderness.

I backpacked with a wonderful Samoyed for six years...he was never off lead which was hooked to his pack harness. That came in quite handy when he slipped off the narrow trail and into the fast running Eagle River just outside Anchorage.

FB

You can also find some useful tips in these training videos, if you're still interested.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Marius, thanks. The videos look very good. I have a long history with my dogs, and I'm still learning. As this thread is from 14 years ago, and a number of the early posts sounded insightful, it would be great if those posters could share their dogs' histories on the trail since then. All my dogs have been different, and they each adapted to hammock camping in their own way, but more and more I see a natural body language dogs have in common.

Images
    Dogs differ, as does their experiences. I fed my Chow Chow Ribeyes and Chicken Wings. He was never off leash unless there were no one in sight for several miles (Yukon Trails) and Wind River Range. Rode my motorcycle with me 300-400 mile days, and slept with me in hammocks, tents, and under tarps.

Swam with me in the Gulf of Mexico and ate the trout I caught on the boat.

No sage advice here, just take 'em everywhere you can.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12