Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images

Planning a Colorado Adventure. Any CO folks with tips chime in!

I am planning a trip to Pike National Forest with my family in June. We will be doing some day hikes around the area of Colorado Springs, Divide, and Buena Vista as I stumble into them but the crown on this trip for me will be about a 20 mile loop to McCurdy Mtn. I plan to start at Goose Creek and work my to the summit and then down and back around to Goose Creek again. This appears thus far to be an attainable peak for me (Missouri boy) as a 4 day trip.

Of course I'm taking my Clark knowing that means all camping needs to stay below treeline but on this trip it should be easy to do. I'm a little concerned about the storms that come up so fast. We were at Pancake rocks near Sentinel Point a few years ago when it seemed like a storm just appeared out of thin air on top of us. There was a mad dash to get down that day and it was WINDY to say the least. I have had some struggles with tarps in the wind in the past. Being at this elevation I'm sure I can pick a sheltered site and still be looking at some serious wind.

I'm interested in hearing if there are any other neat destinations in Pike NF? I'm sure there are tons but it's not always easy to find out about them. I have to keep the day hikes in the 4-6 mile round trip area with my 5 year old girl. She's got good legs but I don't like to turn a hike into a march for her where she isn't having fun. They both like water as a destination and My wife and I agree on Waterfalls, even small ones, as great destination spots. Lakes and really great views are on the menu too.

I'm also interested to hear if anyone has spent time in hammocks at 10-12K and has any thoughts on the matter.

Images
    send a pm to "food" he knows the hiking in the state pretty well

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hankins Pass/Goose Creek

The Hankins Pass/Goose Creek loop is a classic.

From the trailhead to close to Hankins Pass was burnt in the Hayman fire. No good camping until nearly to Hankins Pass. I prefer the Lake Park route rather than the Brookside Mccurdy Trail. Lake Park is beautiful, but it is difficult to get to the water - swampy and muddy. It is easier to get to water to the right from the trail up to the ridge above Lake Park.

McCurdy Park is a special place with good water close. It is between McCurdy Peak and McCurdy Tower. The area has big granite domes that the climbers love.

Lot of good camping along Goose Creek. Visite the Shafthouse and take the hike back to the Shaft. The area beyond the shaft is magical.

On the way out climb up to Harmonica Arch.

Timberline is a range rather than a line. I consider timberline 11,200 in RMNP. In the Lost Creek Wilderness it is more like 11,700.

PM me and I will give you my phone # if you want to talk.
    Last edited by ringtail-THFKAfood; 02-18-2009 at 09:23.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Food,

I actually found the Lake Park trail last night after reading another trip log and looking at his route. It looks like a neat place. From the looks of it if you trek over to the east side of the park there is a creek that drains out of the marsh for water.

I've been to the pikes area before so I know how treeline is kind of a spectrum from normal trees to midget trees. I remember passing mature pines that were only a few feet taller than me. We were hiking up to pancake rocks and the trees were getting sparse and small at around 11,400ft. My lungs were feeling the same.

I might give you a call if you have some ideas on good dayhikes. My wife will not do backpacking or overnight camping at elevation.

• + New Posts