Newbie Sleeping Bag Question

Hey everyone!
    I am completely new at this. I'll be ordering my first hammock soon, a DangerBird from Dream Hammock. The first trip I'll take it on will be in Ohio in June. What sleeping bag temp rating should I look into? I have been told that it is colder to sleep in a hammock than a tent would be. I was mostly worried about the posibility of having some nasty weather and having it cool down on me more than expected.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Most people would say to use an underquilt. I can only give a general statement since I really don't know the weather where you are in June. I think that you should get one for at least the forties or thirties and if it gets too hot you can always sleep with it open. If you have a pad or get one you can put it under yourself but many others would say it's a bit too small, yet I have no problem. My suggestion would be to get a bag without a hood or fold it under yourself.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can offer this.......pads if you have them. June can be hot but you may need something under you.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Weather here in June, the past few years, has been HOT. a 50* bag would be fine with a wally world blue pad or a 1/8" foam pad from Gossamer Gear.

Been kinda dry the past few summers too. Get a good storm here and there and almost nothing in between. Grass has gone brown every summer since I've been at our current place.

Hope that helps. If you're more specific about location it'd be easier to give you a heads up. LIke if i you're going to Cleveland or NE Ohio, you're MUCH more likely to get rain vs. down here around Dayton to Athens it's been more dry int he summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Weather here in June, the past few years, has been HOT. a 50* bag would be fine with a wally world blue pad or a 1/8" foam pad from Gossamer Gear.

Been kinda dry the past few summers too. Get a good storm here and there and almost nothing in between. Grass has gone brown every summer since I've been at our current place.

Hope that helps. If you're more specific about location it'd be easier to give you a heads up. LIke if i you're going to Cleveland or NE Ohio, you're MUCH more likely to get rain vs. down here around Dayton to Athens it's been more dry int he summer.
    It will be at Atwood Park, Mineral City. I do plan on getting a blue pad from Walmart.

Well you're definitely more likely to get rain or lake effect weather. You're right on the line, I'd ere on the side of caution and make sure you have an adequate tarp as they say "wait 15 minutes and the weather will change" but as far as it getting too cold? 60* bag is the lowest you'd need. CCF pad will work perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Well you're definitely more likely to get rain or lake effect weather. You're right on the line, I'd ere on the side of caution and make sure you have an adequate tarp as they say "wait 15 minutes and the weather will change" but as far as it getting too cold? 60* bag is the lowest you'd need. CCF pad will work perfect.
    Thank you!!!

I used a pad until I got my under quilt and used my 30deg. Down bag and sleep down to the low 30s to mid 20s and sleep super warm. I even had to vent. I also used a piece of reflextis with my pad.

Hunterjim

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    I have used a simple gray 3/8" thick insulated pad under me and a 15 degree sleeping bag thrown over the top of me as a top quilt. I did a trip last year that got into the mid 30's and I did have to put my down jacket on. A slightly thicker and somewhat wider pad would have made it unnecessary to use my jacket. But overall it was really warm.

So a pad can certainly work and is a good way to get into hammocks step by step.

• + New Posts