BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks

Thumbs up MN - Rum River State Forest - April 19-21

What a great weekend this was! Turtleburger came up with the idea a while back and a bunch of us jumped on board. As the time for the trip neared, we got nailed with about a foot of snow and record low temps for this time of year. Mysteriously, there were several hangers who were suddenly unable to attend. I will leave speculation to the reader, but I knew what the right choice was for me. I was going camping!

I got off work early and picked up my buddy Tracey on the way out of St Cloud. He was a first time hanger and was using my extra setup (this is the first time I've had two complete setups). We both had sleds and snowshoes so we were ready for the snow. We scouted out the area that had been mentioned previously on the forums, west of the parking lot off the forest road. We tromped around in thick brush and thorns for about an hour to no avail. There were no good hanging spots back in there. Across the river, a hanging nirvana taunted us, just out of reach.

We doubled back and found Clauwitz following our original and misguided path. After sharing the good news of the tree-lined ridge across the river, Clauwitz took off that way with reckless abandon. When we went back to the road to update the signage and add a map and found Trees4Me getting ready to make the hike in to camp. We all walked in together. On the ridge we found lots of sites to hang at, and after trudging through 2 foot drifts of snow to get down the hill, we quickly found choices that suited our liking.

Shortly after we had set up camp, turtleburger and his friend John showed up. They quickly began gathering wood and were very industrious. A hungry beaver could not have done better. There was a lot of wood to burn! We congratulated ourselves on being awesome and coming on the trip, then we started a fire and stared at it in amazement. The obligatory conversations of gear ensued, and quickly turned to other subjects as well. It was obvious that we all were like-minded crazy people who loved to hang in our hammocks.

Tracey was hadn't slept in about 30 hours, so he got a little sleepy sitting next to the fire. I eventually persuaded him to go to bed. We both awoke well rested, bright eyed, and bushy tailed. He was sleeping in my Warbonnet Traveler with 20* Hammock Gear Phoenix, homemade canvas sock, Menards tarp, and had his Kelty Mistral -20* sleeping bag for a top quilt. I also used my Kelty Mistral -20* sleeping bag for a top quilt, along with my new Weight Weenie Micro (with whoopie hooks that BIAS shipped to me express), 0* Hammock Gear Incubator, and Warbonnet Superfly tarp. Tracey was very disappointed with hammock hanging because he no longer got up early and stayed up all day. Instead, he slept in and even took a nap in the middle of the day.

At some point in the day on Saturday, we started chopping on a downed tree with an ax. Chopping leads to beer, and John had some to share. The beer tasted good so it was time for a drive to Mora, where Trees4Me, John, and I visited the liquor store and meat market. We returned to camp as triumphant champions, and I even chose to ride the fatbike back. We had a very enjoyable night filled with meat and beer.

The next morning, Trees4Me and Clauwitz broke camp early and were gone before the rest of us lazy hammockers rolled out of bed. We cooked up the rest of the bacon over the fire and proceeded to pack up camp. Tracey and I were the last ones out of camp. We trudged through snow that was the consistency of mashed potatoes, which made things a little more difficult. We were happy though because the weekend was huge success. We were refreshed and invigorated by having hung out in the woods with a great group of people.

I took some GoPro videos from the weekend and I have very good intentions of making a video of the our adventures. We'll see if/when that happens. I'll update this post and insert the video in this thread if it does happen.

Thanks guys for a great weekend!
    -Dan

Bikes, guns, beer, and camping make me .

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1/1.9 gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 for now
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, pad
    Suspension
    woopies/straps
    John and I had a great time, john even said that next time he try to hang. Fire roasted bacon great idea John.
    The best things happen at the worse possible time.

It(I) might not be the prettiest thing, however It(I'm) is quite functional.

SON: Dad why do I have to make my bed? It is just going to get messed up again.
    DAD: Why do you wipe your bottom.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    Here is the YouTube video from the trip. My GoPro is not a very good camera for doing this sort of thing but that's the way it goes. Give it a watch.

Thanks all!
    -Dan

Hammock
    Grand Trunk ATHH
    Tarp
    Sky Tent
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    Byer micro ropes
    Sounds like a good time, will definitely have to join in next time. The snow scared me off this time around, I´m just not equipped for cold weather hanging at the moment.

Hammock
    diy 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Insulation
    hg incubator
    Suspension
    dutch whoopie hook
    Ha mountain pulking in April! Looks like a good time.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Yes, the worst thing about hammocks is the sleep ins. Not sure what to do about that. Fat bikes are great, I want one! Thanks for the video, Rabid Deer!

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by BWCAW hanger View Post
    Sounds like a good time, will definitely have to join in next time. The snow scared me off this time around, I´m just not equipped for cold weather hanging at the moment.
    We had some guys who made the best of it. Tracey had a 20* Phoenix UQ and Clauwitz had his own setup going on that worked for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Algonz View Post
    Ha mountain pulking in April! Looks like a good time.
    It sure does make it easier to haul a bunch of stuff with you. I don't know what I'll do when I actually have to carry stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Yes, the worst thing about hammocks is the sleep ins. Not sure what to do about that. Fat bikes are great, I want one! Thanks for the video, Rabid Deer!
    Fatbiking was a pretty tough gig on this trip. The warm weather made the snow the consistency of mashed potatoes and it was pretty sticky. You can see in the video that I only got the bike/pulk combo to work on the downhill and the flatter sections of the road. It was a lot of fun though!
    -Dan

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    HDPE tarp
    Insulation
    CCF + Synth bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling & TH
    For those who were wondering, we saw an Osprey on the trip. It wasn't a Vulture.
    http://www.blackdiamondnow.org/2010/...fish-hawk.html

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* UQ, 20* TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clauwitz View Post
    For those who were wondering, we saw an Osprey on the trip. It wasn't a Vulture.
    http://www.blackdiamondnow.org/2010/...fish-hawk.html
    Cool. Good to know!
    -Dan

• + New Posts