Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    I seen a bunch off people hanging on Saturday, hope some of them were you guys. Girlfriend and I did the loop. It was her first hike. and her first hang. she got through it like a boss, and loved it. Got a little chilly Saturday night tho. My dog jogged the whole trail with a pack. If you seen a guy and a girl walking a black and white dog with a blue pack it was us.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    AHE TOXAWAY
    Insulation
    HG INCU/ EE REV X
    We seen a couple dogs with packs we were hanging saturday night at site 6 we had 4 hammocks and a green tent. very well could have been us. It was extremely cold saturday i dont know how cold but it was cold

Hammock
    HH Exped / DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    We had a great time! Weather was perfect.
    We had a 8 yo and 14 yo on their first hike ins.
    The two Dad's (me being one for the 14 yo.) carried some extras for the younger ones. I was lucky and only had to carry all the food and shared shelter. Which I would have carried any way.
    We hiked in about 3 miles. Fair distance for 3 new hikers. We found a campsite near the river that was too gorgeous to pass up. I have seen it in pictures and videos, though it was an "established" site, but never found a site marker. The plan was to set up camp, then continue hiking a little further down and explore the trail more. That never happened, but we enjoyed the beautiful weather and the sights. We had a tarp, a USMC Tent, a Ozarks tent. I slept in a Byer traveler while the daughter slept under me on the ground, she rolls out of the hammocks, so she opted for the ground. She did say she wanted to try a hammock again next time. I am sure we passed many of you on the trail, and you all probably went by our site.

Our site:

Chillaxing over dinner:

My set up for the weekend:
    Last edited by Jeff Kindy; 04-29-2013 at 10:21.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ

believe saw some of you

Youbet think i saw you just coming off the trail almost to vehicles on upper river rd. Was your dog kinda collie'ish looking. Me and my boys hiked some of the trail by red bridge.. It's a god send that we're about 5 minutes away from the trail. we were mainly out scouting for beaver sign along the river bayou's

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood View Post
    How strenuous is the the southern portion of the NCT?
    How far south??
    The NCT stretches from New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota.

Southern Michigan is mostly road walking, converted railroad beds turned into paved or gravel trails, and some trails that are wooded, slightly hilly.

MI Manistee River Trail 4/26/13

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    How far south??
    The NCT stretches from New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota.

Southern Michigan is mostly road walking, converted railroad beds turned into paved or gravel trails, and some trails that are wooded, slightly hilly.
    I was mainly concerned about te section that links the North and South end of the MRT. I shoud have been more specific. Thanks for te reply!

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    Jeff I remember seeing that green tarp! you guys had a great spot!! Hanglife i remember your hammock you had the most in one spot the whole way. I need to get a hammock forums flag to wear on the trail so us forum members to identify ourselves.

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    Cursnfurs that was us!!!, he is border collie and blue heeler cattle dog!!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    The NCT section around manistee was no joke. Lots of up and down with 400' of vertical in some spots (i think, my friend stole my map.) What made it so fun is the leaf covered trail with roots all over that you can't see and the sheer drop 4 inches from the path. The views however make up for it all. It was fun to see Caberfae ski resort with snow still on it. I came in on the Marilla Trail Head and saw lots of snow under the bushes.

I saw you guys with the dog, we passed each other around campsite 4 I think.

Jeff Kindy, I was almost directly across the river from you. We had the sweet spot on the river bend. Did anyone get hurt from the falling tree?

Friday night was quite cold but I was more ready for it. Saturday night I had to get up and put more clothes on and use my DIY down blanket wrapped around me.

I'm quite certain no one saw me hanging as friday night we had a small creek area all to ourselves as long as you don't count the hoot owls. Saturday we had a bend in the river to ourselves and I was back in the stand of pines. We dubbed it camp deer poop.
    Last edited by cjayflo; 04-29-2013 at 20:59. Reason: added more

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    AHE TOXAWAY
    Insulation
    HG INCU/ EE REV X
    Quote Originally Posted by youbet View Post
    Jeff I remember seeing that green tarp! you guys had a great spot!! Hanglife i remember your hammock you had the most in one spot the whole way. I need to get a hammock forums flag to wear on the trail so us forum members to identify ourselves.
    That was us for sure. Any of you guys going to the june 7th hang?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast