Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ray Jardine Quilt Kit - A Question for Anyone who has made one

I've got some other quilts that we have made that are less "technical" than the Ray J. kit. My wife and I are trying to expand our horizons and our sewing experience so we decided to order one his quilts for me to see what the differences might be between his with the "gorget" and "Draftstopper". Material wise the kit is reasonable in cost.

Anyway - For anyone that has made one, I am questioning the ability to turn it inside out as he has laid out in his plans. If you have done this before, your advice on making it happen correctly and what to watch out for regarding pitfalls and such would be appreciated.

Best.

I'm not familiar with Jardine's kits, but the technique should be common sense: lay out the two shell pieces with the outsides together; put the insulation on top; stitch the insulation and shells around the outside, leaving a bit open to turn the whole mess through. I usually hand baste the 3 layers first, and trim the insulation to reduce its bulk before machine stitching. Then I trim the insulation some more. On a couple of quilts, I have pre-quilted to one shell before stitching the other shell on and then turning. This reduces the number of quilting points that go through both shells. Its only real advantage is to make turning a little easier.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Turning it insideout is easy. It is just like turning your socks back around, only BIGGER. At least I hope the quilt is bigger than your socks

Notes / Words of warning:
    The static cling of the insulation will draw stiff from miles away, well, a few feet anyway. So make sure your work area is pristene.

Sew it all together INSULATION SIDE DOWN!! To me this was counter intuitive & it took me over an hour to sew 2' with the insulation side up. The remaining 18 or so feet (including re-sewing the mistake area) took 30 minutes. Sew it all together INSULATION SIDE DOWN!! Sew it all together INSULATION SIDE DOWN!! Sew it all together INSULATION SIDE DOWN!!

Leave a 12' - 14' hole in the FOOT end: Then turn the quilt inside out, or right side aout actually: reach in between the 2 pieces of shell material, & pull GENTLY. Smooth out all the wrinkles, then sew closed the opening you left. Were I to do it again, here is when I would do the quilting (and you DO want to do the quilting!!!) then do the foot pocket if you want one. I did the quilting after sewing the foot pocket, this made it a bit harder to do the quilting.

Including the lay out / cutting, discounting the wasted time I spent trying to sew it wrong side up, it took about 2 hrs to sew together. Then about another 2 hrs to quilt.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Machine sew with the insulation on the bottom....!!!

otherwise you will have to fight the stinking presser foot getting caught in the fibers.

Unless you use a roller foot or something like that.

In that case you can trim the insulation after you sew the three layers together.

The interior quilting is done last if you go through all three layers. If you prequilt as above then that can be done before you sew the three to gether.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

So, the insulation is on the bottom? :-)

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    So, the insulation is on the bottom? :-)
    Yes!
    That is unless you really like using foul language.
    I personally hope I never use most of those words ever again.
    I was even inventing words.

Then I read the directions, , , Sigh!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

I think the first one I sewed was insulation up and you're right it is an enormous PITA. I did one this weeked insulation down and it was a piece of cake.

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    With the insulation down, did you find it bunched up as you went and became out of alignment with the shell toward the end?
    Thanks
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    With the insulation down, did you find it bunched up as you went and became out of alignment with the shell toward the end?
    Thanks
    If you are worried about that run a few hand basting stiitches first. That will stabilize the whole thing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I have been forgetting about this forum over and over and today reminded me why I shouldn't anymore.

I appreciate all the responses. After reading the advice given and going back over his directions, I see where I got my concern from. I was reading them wrong

The quilts my wife and I made previously, we cut the insulation and fabric together to form the same shape, sewed the bag bottom and sides, then slid insulation in, finished seams at top then quilted the insulation in.

Those were attempts with no one else plans that worked ok, but was not exactly pretty either. However, we have noticed the insulation on the sides not really staying in place correctly even with the quilting. Those experiments are what led us to try one of his quilts. More as an experiment to learn this a little better.

Again, thank you gentlemen.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast