Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    New Member Falkon00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hesperia, CA
    Hammock
    SMr Pares
    Tarp
    Nubé
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Posts
    14

    Top Quilt Purchase

    I am looking to buy a top quilt. Most of my hanging will be with temps in the 40's to 50's in the evenings. I do not want to limit myself in case I decide to stretch it to 3 seasons. If I get a 20* top quilt and a 20* bottom quilt, will i be too hot at night?...I am a pretty warm sleeper to begin with, if I do have a problem spot it is cold feet sometimes. Tell me what you guys think...I don't mind spending a little extra on the 20* stuff, but want to make sure i am not going to roast.

    JDM

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Verona, VA
    Hammock
    AH DL Custom
    Tarp
    AH Big-Sil
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Posts
    25
    I'm a newbie myself but I think you would be okay just venting the TQ.

  3. #3
    Senior Member breyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Variety of Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Hook
    Posts
    1,955
    If you might do three season stuff, a 20* set is a great conservative place to start. As mentioned, it's relatively easy to vent to stay cool. Then, once you save up enough, you can get a second 40* set.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

  4. #4
    New Member Falkon00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hesperia, CA
    Hammock
    SMr Pares
    Tarp
    Nubé
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    If you might do three season stuff, a 20* set is a great conservative place to start. As mentioned, it's relatively easy to vent to stay cool. Then, once you save up enough, you can get a second 40* set.
    Do you think that is the better way to go? 20* first then a 40* later? or vice versa? That actually is an even better point then my original question...I want best bang for my buck with my first top quilt and bottom quilt purchase.

    JDM

  5. #5
    Senior Member Moondoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Radford,Va.
    Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Posts
    504
    Go lite makes great TQs I have two one for myself and one for my son ! Best bang and weight for your buck in my opinion ! Arrowhead equipment makes great synthetic UQs that will be more versatile than down! I recommend down TQ and Synthetic UQ . My reasoning is moisture comes up from underneath you , down and moisture don't mix well ! I have both but the synthetic is superior in warmth and versatility from my experience . Everyone has there own opinion and experiences though! I hope this helps.
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

  6. #6
    Senior Member breyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Variety of Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Hook
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkon00 View Post
    Do you think that is the better way to go? 20* first then a 40* later? or vice versa? That actually is an even better point then my original question...I want best bang for my buck with my first top quilt and bottom quilt purchase.

    JDM
    I guess it depends on how realistic your three season trips would be. If you'll be dipping down anywhere below 40 soon, I'd start with the 20*. Otherwise, go with the 40.

    If it were me, I'd recommend 20* first as I wouldn't want to exclude myself from any trips due to temperature.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    367
    Another option you might consider: 20* Underquilt w/40* top quilt. This would reduce the weight/bulk in your pack slightly. The underquilt creates a micro-climate above so a lighter topquilt would be adequate.

    Good luck

  8. #8
    AaronAlso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Posts
    709
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Another option you might consider: 20* Underquilt w/40* top quilt. This would reduce the weight/bulk in your pack slightly. The underquilt creates a micro-climate above so a lighter topquilt would be adequate.

    Good luck
    I would concure!

    My experience supports what others have said; that warmer on bottom is more important than warmer on top. A 20º UQ with a 40º TQ will be comfy for most in the 30º range.

    I might suggest the following products.


    MollyMac Shamu UQ (for 50º+)
    Any of the cottage shop 40º TQ's
    Any of the cottage shop 20º UQ's (for temps bellow 50º)

    These 3 will give you a lot of flexibility for temps from 70º down to 30º and maybe lower.

    As for TQ specifically I'm partial to the multi-use functionality of the JRB Sniveller series.
    "The more laws that are written, the more criminals are produced." - "The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao Tze

    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

    Ephesians 6:10-17

    Hammock Forums is my social network.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    Argon Streamliner sl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
    Go lite makes great TQs I have two one for myself and one for my son ! Best bang and weight for your buck in my opinion ! Arrowhead equipment makes great synthetic UQs that will be more versatile than down! I recommend down TQ and Synthetic UQ . My reasoning is moisture comes up from underneath you , down and moisture don't mix well ! I have both but the synthetic is superior in warmth and versatility from my experience . Everyone has there own opinion and experiences though! I hope this helps.
    I don't think Golite makes their full line of quilts anymore. On their website, the only quilt is a 30 degree down quilt for $249. I heard good things about their older lines of quilts, but it looks like they are going in a different direction.

  10. #10
    Bic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minnesota!
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,720
    +1 for the 20* uq and 40* top quilt. This is what I just ordered and I think it'll be perfect. I can vent the quilts in summer if need be and if it gets a little cold for my top quilt then I can jus add layers of clothing like my down jacket.

Similar Threads

  1. Where to purchase down?
    By Wyley in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 15:30
  2. Win a quick 10% off a Quilt Purchase!
    By bartlax4 in forum Other Vendors and Services
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-01-2014, 19:04
  3. First purchase
    By Just swingin in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-17-2012, 17:14
  4. purchase under quilt in Canada for HH Explorer?
    By I hear banjos in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 20:56
  5. Need to purchase Down NOW
    By BigTurtle in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 14:29

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •