Images

Please help me decide - UQ

Okay, I suppose I should admit up front that I know I'm opening a hornets nest potentially but I really want some honest feedback on two particular UQs.

I guess I should run through my hammock set up first so you know where I'm at and where I'm going.

I have a HH Expl Classic. I do intend to have the 2QZQ Mod 4 done on this hammock in May. I am in a southern climate but will be hiking and hanging in cooler climes throughout the year. About the lowest I would see on a regular basis is mid to low 30s in MS. I know I could potentially hit or wish to hang in some lower temps elsewhere but this would be my go to areas and temp range in the low 30s.

It is my understanding that I can use a lower temp rated UQ in warmer temps i.e. 60s - low 70s if I need it by adjusting the UQ so there is more airflow between the UQ and hammock. If this is not correct I need to know that now.

I'm trying to decide between the JRB Nest and the HG Incubator 20*. They seem to be very similar in all areas but I can't get my head around which way to go. The ready slit for the JRB was a big plus until I decided I wanted the Mod 4 zippers added. Now everything seems pretty equal.

So there it is. If you need more info to make a more informed recommendation, then by all means ask, but I need some help here before I spend the very hard earned money I will have to put to this. Throw me a bone here gang, I surely need it.

Images
    50 views and nothing. Bump for another look. I really want to hear what the prevailing logic is here.

Thanks again for the help...when it comes.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Well first thing - are you having the underslit sewn up? Many do after the mod but just as many leave it available. Having it available would at least keep the reasoning for the Nest. I have a 20* incubator and it is a great UQ. Fits well, is extremely warm and beautiful with zippered or non-bug netted hammocks. I do not own the nest or any JRB quilts but i have heard they are very well made.
    However, the nest is a standard 800 down fill as opposed to HG's 900 standard fill. As well, the nest seems to have a warmer rating to the cooler one for the incubator. And with all that the Incubator is cheaper as well (not that price is everything).
    If it were to be my choice and I was for sure going with a zippered hammock, it would be the incubator for me.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I don't own either. I'm actually buying my first UQ and went with a different version/vendor than either of your choices for different reasons.

Looking at the two you're specifically comparing, I think the "bottom line" here is how much do you feel that slit for the BE entry is worth to you?

The HG incubator is filled with 900 fill down, and runs $239. You have that 900 fill option to go with on the Nest...but it raises the price to $279.

So the question becomes how soon you're going to the 2QZQ mod, and/or if you feel that bottom entry version is worth the price difference. I can see valid arguments either way, so I'm not really making a recommendation here.

Just pointing out factors to consider.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Well first thing - are you having the underslit sewn up?
    In truth I intend to keep the bottom entry. In the heavy misquito season we have in the south I will want to have the option of using it. The 2QZQ mod is to make it easier to get the morning tea going and get the bug net out of the way when the bugs are not present.

Well that didn't complicate things did it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've been using a JRB Sniveller for a few years now and can attest to it's quality. You can read the JRB website as to why he doesn't offer 900 fill option for the time being:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/fill-alt...onsiderations/
    In the past JRB has said it was hard to get 900 fill to actually fill to 900 cu in, but he doesn't say that anymore, so don't know if the 900 fill added price is worth the extra money.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog
    There are differences between some Fords and some Chevys, but not so much on Buicks and Oldsmobiles. Either of your quilt choices will serve you well. There are no major or minor shortcomings in either of them.

Buy whichever one comes up next on the used gear forum knowing you can sell it for almost as much as you paid for it when you decide you want to try a different one. You don't have to marry your gear, you can buy a different one in a couple of years.
    Last edited by heyyou; 04-25-2013 at 22:41. Reason: second thought

Images
    Okay so the decision has been made. I'm gonna go with HG Incubator. I've already ordered the fabric to do a custom with them and they are on notice. Should have it fairly soon. Will post photos when she lands. Looking forward to this one.

• + New Posts