Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    teedee, where do you get your microfiber poly 1.8?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF, Exped Synmat
    Suspension
    Buckles/carabiners
    My experience with clothing is that polyester breathes (wicks away moisture) much better than nylon.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Brandon - I got the microfiber polyester ripstop from Rockywoods. It's black and weighs 1.8 oz/sq yd. It is the absolute best material for a hammock I have ever found.

Only one problem - they no longer have any. Seems it was a special order for somebody and they listed what they had left on the web site. I stumbled across it and got 2 orders before they ran out. I still have enough for one Bridge and am hording it for that one special Bridge.

I am now using their microfiber polyester. They list the color as gold and zinnia or some such. On my last order they ran out of one and they substituted the other color. The colors are almost identical. The one they ran out of is 2.8 oz/sq yd. The other one is 2.7 oz/sq yd. Which is really only 0.5 to 0.6 oz/sq yd more than DWR nylon. It is more than worth the extra 0.5 oz/sq yd for my Bridges since that amounts to only 1.25 oz extra weight. The polyester is much superior to nylon for a hammock.

I keep checking their web site hoping that maybe they just might get the black microfiber polyester back in stock. The weight at 1.8 oz/sq yd was ideal and it is super soft even with the DWR. I haven't checked, but if enough people were interested, hopefully they would/could get a special order at a reasonable price. I would be willing to do that if enough want it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7 Dbl & ENO Dbl.
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Anyone know anything about this fabric?

Nylon Taffeta Camouflage Fabric - NatGear

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ha...uflage-NatGear

Is it thick/strong enough for a single? I like the pattern/color. Shipping weight is 4oz per yard.

Are the Taffeta's uncoated? Anyone with experience ordering Taffeta from them?

This one is nice looking too..

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ha...abric-Predator

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Taffeta is a weave pattern and roughly relates to fabric weight. It would be heavier than the rigpstops but by how much I don't really know. Lots of hammocks are made of taffeta. I think my new house hammock is made of taffeta. It is a very suitable fabric but on the heavy side as lightweights go.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    Grand Trunk (formerly Travel Hammock) has their Skeeter Beeter UL made out of tafetta. With bugnetting, it runs 20 oz. It's on my schedule to order one next week. I'm trading out my Skeeter Beeter Pro.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Thanks for the quick response.

I like light; but, its not everything for me since I am not through-hiking and my backpack trips are pretty mellow nowdays.

I've got an ENO for now and will want to make something lighter in the future.

I am just looking for a fun project and something to hang in the local hills if a dayhike through one of the local regional parks gets extended "accidentally".

I'd like to make something out of 1.9 ripstop; but, just don't like the color choices out there.

I've read were Supplex is more durable and weather resistant than Taffeta... but does not breathe as well.

Hammock
    Tarp
    GoLite Cave 2
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Rings n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sbmcghee View Post
    Grand Trunk (formerly Travel Hammock) has their Skeeter Beeter UL made out of tafetta. With bugnetting, it runs 20 oz. It's on my schedule to order one next week. I'm trading out my Skeeter Beeter Pro.
    Thanks for the heads up and info.. just curious.. Why are you going for the UL over the Pro?

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    I'm switching for the weight savings. There is about half pound difference between the two. The UL is also about a foot shorter which doesn't sound like much but when you lay in the Skeeter Beeter, you have to zip the bug net all the way up to the top. I'm 5'9" and that is a long stretch. If they had put 2 zipper mechanisms in it so they meet in the middle of the zip I wouldn't have that problem.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Anyone know anything about this fabric?

Nylon Taffeta Camouflage Fabric - NatGear

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ha...uflage-NatGear

Is it thick/strong enough for a single? I like the pattern/color. Shipping weight is 4oz per yard.

Are the Taffeta's uncoated? Anyone with experience ordering Taffeta from them?

This one is nice looking too..

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ha...abric-Predator
    Look at the Hennessy site. They cite most of their hammocks as made of Oxford nylon. It used to say nylon taffeta. Don't know if they switched fabrics or just switched the description on the web site.

Nothing wrong with taffeta. Essentially it can be the same as ripstop without the ripstop threads. Ripstop itself doesn't really do you much good in a hammock as it does in clothes. Ripstop is mostly used in DIY hammocks because that's what people started using and it is readily available. Other than that there is no special reason for always using ripstop in hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast