Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Newbie : Hennessy Hanger

I've decided to become a tree hanger! I just opened my new Hennessy Explorer Deluxe and I've a couple of questions:
    1. What's the loop on the inside bottom of the hammock designed for?
    2. In the lashing video on the Hennessy website, he shows alternating across the taut line and then down through the tree huggers to make the "Figure 8" lashing. I cannot tell from the video, but do you alternate the directions across the taught line on each successive lash (or are all lashes across the taught line made in the same direction)? I realize the grammer on this is terrible and confusing at best, but look at my username!

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Welcome!

Not sure about the loop - is your hammock a side or bottom entry? If you could provide a picture it might be helpful to identify exactly what you are referencing.

All lashes are made in the same direction - at least thats how I do it and haven't had any problems.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Thank you for the feedback on the lashing direction. I thought they all went in the same direction, but on one of Mr. Hennessy's videos he appeared to alternate directions. I've practiced tying the knot since my original post.

It's the zip model. The loop is on the bottom of the hammock on the size opposite of the zipper. I was speculating that it might be to help hold a pad or insulation in place?

Thanks again!

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    pic please

the loop has me puzzled, too

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    I'll have to dig my Hennessy Exp out of the hammock closet...but I don't recall seeing a loop on the interior.

And not to discount the Hennessy way of suspension, but I would highly recommend upgrading to whoopie slings / tree straps, or a cinch buckle / strap system. I use both depending on which hammock and like them equally, and far above the lashing approach. But suspension are about personal preference and what you like...just my two cents.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoHanger View Post
    I'll have to dig my Hennessy Exp out of the hammock closet...but I don't recall seeing a loop on the interior.

And not to discount the Hennessy way of suspension, but I would highly recommend upgrading to whoopie slings / tree straps, or a cinch buckle / strap system. I use both depending on which hammock and like them equally, and far above the lashing approach. But suspension are about personal preference and what you like...just my two cents.
    +1 on the alernate suspension method. I have biner/rings on mine (no it's not light weight) but I love how quickly it sets up (literally under a minute tho I'm not trying to win any races when I hang out). I still use the figure 8 method on the boy's Exped (I like tying lashings and knots - it relaxes me) but it does take a bit longer to get the spacing where I want it and the angle of hang dialed in.

Really hopeing for a photo. I'm curious about the loop.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Supershelter, MSS
    I think the loop is the asym tie out for that side, there should be one on each. These tie outs make a diagonal lay much easier. Not sure why it's inside though.

I immediately went to whoopie slings/toggles for my suspention. I now use the stock cordage for my tarp.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    It's the zip model. The loop is on the bottom of the hammock on the size opposite of the zipper. I was speculating that it might be to help hold a pad or insulation in place?

Thanks again!
    I think you're correct. They look like they would be the attachment points for the Double Bubble Pad. If you look at the photos of it on the Hennessy site it has two of the mitten hooks, one connected to the pad at the shoulder (left side) and one at the foot end (right side).

I was really curious so I ran out to hang my Expedition. Apologies for the bad pics.

Foot side (inside):

Shoulder (zipper) side:

Just like MotoHanger I didn't recall them being there. I used CCF pads in this hammock, but didn't have a lot of issues. These would have been nice to utilize though!

It seems like it would work to hold a pad in place, not just the DB but could be used on a CCF or store windshield sunscreen. It would be pretty easy to fabricate attachment points on/to a pad.

As everyone has mentioned, there are alternative suspensions that are easier and faster to use, some lighter and some heavier. I never found the lashing to be terrible. It's simplicity and utility are attractive to me. Use it for a while, and if you hate it, you have lots of options to try.

Here's another question that arose as I was taking pictures:

This velcro attachment "flap" on the outside near the foot end pullout. I didn't see a matching one at the headend. Wonder what it's for.....
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    . . .

Thanks again!
    Yep! and as you note further down there is one next to your shoulder as you lay in the hammock. I bought the reflectix pad with mine - the loops line up with the attachment points on the pad. On my Explorer Dlx (purchased two months ago) there was a short piece of 3/16" shock cord with glove clips on each end looped through one of the loops. No idea what that is for.

Chuck

That's it!

HappyHiker,
    You got the right picture! That's exactly the loop that i was questioning.
    I just got back from setting the hammock up for the first time and "climbing aboard". I almost fell asleep in less than 5 minutes. Nice breeze and gentle sway. I can't wait till my next trip to the woods
    Thanks to everyone for their responses.
    Happy Hiking!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast