Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

New NX-250's Here, Yes, I'm Pathetic

So here are the first of my nooooob questions.

The instructions say the 8-10' cords are for deploying the tarp. Is anyone using a separate ridgeline for a NX-250 tarp; possibly with prussiks, under or over the tarp for the NX-250/150?

Do you like use a 'biner on your tree strap to
    1. Complete the loop around the tree?
    2. Clip to the hammock ridgeline?
    3. Both?

How do you "size" your tree straps if the strap is too long for the trees in your selected site?

Anyone using Niteline or Triptease reflective tarp guylines (and NX-250 ridgeline?) to avoid stumbling over them in the dark?

What one thing do you wish you had, and/or had known before your first wilderness hang?

Thanks in advance for your tips and your patience.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 04-24-2013 at 15:45.

Advice before your first hang

Advice 1: don't underestimate the cooling effect of the hammock. That makes it ideal for warm climes. but, when the nite temp is < 65F you'll feel the chill from the natural convection-cooling underneath. If temp <60F, even a sleeping bag will compress under your weight and lose its isulating property. Unless you have an underquilt or ZX-Liner, I use a sleeping pad+bag in the NX250 to add some warmth underneath. Note: the z-Liner isn't a good value for its price. Nice idea, but an incomplete design as an insulating option. Once you are prepared for cold conditions, hammock hanging is an awesome and far more comfortable experience.

Advice 2: I find my knees muscles will hurt from the slight inverted curve of the hang that locks your joints into a hyper-extended bend. My remedy is to use a pack pillow (or rolled clothes) under my knees to give them a slight bend. And a head pillow seems to be a redundancy in a hammock anyhow.

Advice 3: Per the clark's instructons, be sure you set up where the closed NX250 has a slight sag or crease in its closed position (when the mesh or cover is zipped up). If its set up too taught, you will find it hard to zip close when lying inside and may stress the zippers. Hang it with a slight sag/slack/crease before you lay down; it will then tighten up to an appropriate tension and allow easy 1-handed zipping open and close.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    [QUOTE=Oblique Angler;996110]So here are the first of my nooooob questions.

The instructions say the 8-10' cords are for deploying the tarp. Is anyone using a separate ridgeline for a NX-250 tarp; possibly with prussiks, under or over the tarp for the NX-250/150?

QUOTE]

I bought my NX-250 without the tarp so I am not sure what those 8-10' cords are for - but - I hang my tarp from a separate ridgeline running the entire length from tree to tree. I use prussiks to position my tarp over the hammock. I also use a prussik to attach a Figure 9 for tensioning. As for tarp over or under the ridgeline, I have tried it both ways - don't really have a preference. Underneath with the ridgeline makes a good place to hang clothes.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Re: New NX-250's Here, Yes, I'm Pathetic

Thank You! for your thoughtful response. 1. I would always carry at least a 1/4" ccf or Thermarest.. Both of my mountaineering bags have integrated space blankets.
    2. I am generally a side or stomach sleeper.
    3. Is a "calf ridge" that interferes with a flat lay caused by the hammock being too loose?
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thank You! for your response. I am a former mountaineer and know knots well enough to tie in the dark and with cold fingers. The figure 9 looks like a cool item but I'll start with knots until I know I'm hooked.

The 10' lengths of stock cordage that came with my Vertex tarp implies no ridge line is required but I will probably use one for hanging gear and drying clothes.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 04-26-2013 at 09:30.
    Brian

I am using the supplied cords to hang my tart, the vertex size. I did try a continuous ridge line, hanging my tarp below it, as I don't want to chance wear on the tarp from friction against the ridge line. I changed to using a separate line at each end as it just seems easier to deal with. Both options will work and very well, so try both ways and see how each works for you. By the way, I have over 300 nights in my nx 250 and look forward to many more.

Hammock
    Freebird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ WB MJ
    Insulation
    UGQ, Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Strap/Rings/Dutch
    I have the same set up, NX-250 with the Vertex Tarp, Awesome rig, however I quickly decided to swap out the stock suspension with the "whoopieslings all in one" and the continuous ridge line also from whoopieslings, ran under the tarp with prussicks for easy adjustment. I love the mods I made, I was able to shed a little bit of weight but more importantly the ease of set up is incredibly quick and super easy.
    Happy travels...
    Fair Winds & Following Seas.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thank You so much for your insight on the lack of necessity for a separate ridge line for the NX-250/Vertex tarp system. I think I'd definitely want the ridge line if it was snowing, and possibly in high winds. But simplification with no cost increase and a weight decrease is a win if the tarp can be pitched without a ridge line.
    Brian

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap &amp; Whoopi
    There are a couple of options for long tree straps. Some of them are more/less of an option depending on how you attach your suspension to the strap.

1) Use a strap with multiple attachment points like the "Slap Strap"
    2) Wrap the strap around the tree multiple times.
    3) Turn the strap so that the loop crossover isn't towards the hammock, but on the other side of the tree to use up additional slack
    4) Tie a knot in the strap to use as a beaner hook. (many old school strappers are using this by default, as there are no loops at all on some straps)
    5) Use D/climbing rings for a similar purpose (make sure they can hold your weight!)

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin42 View Post
    There are a couple of options for long tree straps. Some of them are more/less of an option depending on how you attach your suspension to the strap.

1) Use a strap with multiple attachment points like the "Slap Strap"
    2) Wrap the strap around the tree multiple times.
    3) Turn the strap so that the loop crossover isn't towards the hammock, but on the other side of the tree to use up additional slack
    4) Tie a knot in the strap to use as a beaner hook. (many old school strappers are using this by default, as there are no loops at all on some straps)
    5) Use D/climbing rings for a similar purpose (make sure they can hold your weight!)
    Thank You! My 2" poly straps have no intermediate loops. Since an overhand loop is very difficult to remove from webbing (1" tubular anyway) after loading, I figured out I could make a Larks Head Loop through a (climbing) carabiner (got lots of those) that I'd clip to the hammock line, or tie a figure 8 loop but that uses a lot of webbing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast