Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Gosh I would love a bag that held the pad in place but can't afford a new bag right now. Is there anyone on the forum that would make me a SPE for a decent price? I have no sewing skills whatsoever.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    to keep this thread going

our family all has big agnes bags keeps the kids from sliding off the pads and I like it also
    we use nemo pillow top bags astro and cosmo models my youngest has a Q core keeps him more centered from rolling around

so switching to hammocks myself and wife and kids found our pads to thick ? they are 3.5 inches and with air your bum sinks in then the air goes to the ends making it really banana shaped ? more air they get to tall and moving around you can slide off easier

ended up going to some old regular blue CCF pads we have and works quite well for stability and comfort

I do want to try a 1-1.5 inch self inflating also in our big agnes

of course the pad stays under you how it should tried some of my older bags with no sleeve and wow pain to stay on the pads in a hammock for sure

also going to try UQ so I know how they work etc.. dont like the pack size of the blue pads even though we car camp rather keep gear small and light save room inside our vehicle

If you can find reflectix it's 15.00 for 25ft roll here and has an r value of 4 or 5. Blue FCC is 2.5 r value and twice as thick. I've got several people over the newb hump with cost and field effective solutions that is reflectix lol

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    +1 on reflectix. A cheaper alternative is a car windshield reflector from Walmart. They are pretty much made out of the same stuff and only the exact amount you need

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shaq67225 View Post
    +1 on reflectix. A cheaper alternative is a car windshield reflector from Walmart. They are pretty much made out of the same stuff and only the exact amount you need
    wait...what?! for real?
    googling now...

or Slo, do you have a source for this stuff?

Thanks

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    lowes has it sure home depot does to
    they use it to wrap duct work etc... so its a common big box home repair stocked item so check those two stores near you

do a search here also tons of info on it on this site and what folks do also read about the issues with moisture

Quote Originally Posted by JasonACraft View Post
    wait...what?! for real?
    googling now...

or Slo, do you have a source for this stuff?

Thanks
    Last edited by ckmaui; 09-05-2014 at 22:48.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I sleep in my Big Agnes Encampment and Q-Core pad with my hammock all the time. I've gone down as low as 20° very comfortably. I don't like mummy bags, and top quilts seem kind of strange to me. I won a very nice top quilt at the winter hang, and still prefer my Big Agnes. I gave the quilt to Amanda and she absolutely loves it, says it's the warmest she has ever slept outside.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream12
    Insulation
    HG all around
    Suspension
    Sling and bling
    I have used a big agnes with pad system for most of my hammocking. I recently decided to jump into an UQ. With a pad I find that my back is warm but my shoulders get cold. I end up sleeping on my side to keep the hammock off of my shoulders and it is not as comfortable. I eventually roll onto my back then wake up with cold spots. I could carry something to cover the shoulders but that defeats the point for me personally. I really like the BA bags because they pack down better because of the lack of insulation on the back. The question now is how will my BA bag do now that I am using an UQ. I may still have to sleep in it like a sleeping bag vs opening it up like a TQ.

~HEH

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I tried my encampment 15 and my neoair pad Saturday (43 degrees). I have a WBBB. I found myself trying to lay on my side, my sleep. Doing that, my shoulder was in contact with the hammock, and the pad was still on my back. Trying to reposition, while zipped up in a bag, while laying in the hammock was difficult. Air adjustment was tricky also. Too much and you feel like youre rolling off. Too little, and there is no insulation and your butt gets cold. Someone suggested a blue pad, placed like a t under my shoulders would work. Gonna try that next. Im really thinking I wont be happy until I get an UQ,

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gogrillz View Post
    I sleep in my Big Agnes Encampment and Q-Core pad with my hammock all the time. I've gone down as low as 20° very comfortably. I don't like mummy bags, and top quilts seem kind of strange to me. I won a very nice top quilt at the winter hang, and still prefer my Big Agnes. I gave the quilt to Amanda and she absolutely loves it, says it's the warmest she has ever slept outside.
    Are you a back sleeper. I sleep on my side and my shoulders got off the pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast