Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Imperatriz, Brazil
    Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope
    Posts
    49

    Exclamation Cambium Damage - Rope vs. Tree Straps



    This video was inspired by a little argument here on the forum about Cambium Damage that Ropes causes and that everyone should use Tree Straps to hang hammocks. BIG DEAL! Are we running out of trees? Lets plant more! Ok we do need to be careful in over populated places on wear and tear. Let us not equal trees with human beings because they have a body but no soul or spirit, animals have a body and soul but no spirit. We human beings are the most unique in creation! We are made up of body, soul and spirit!

    Check out my blog www.amazonhammock.blogspot.com!
    Last edited by Denis Bailey; 04-25-2013 at 09:46. Reason: smoothed out the text

  2. #2
    Paul Zissou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Guide gear
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    line/strap
    Posts
    107
    I'd be hard pressed to believe your statement. I've definitely seen some people do some soulless acts. But never have I seen a majestic oak do anything other then stand tall and provide me with shade and oxygen. I've gotten into arguments with vegetarians about a similar issue. In my opinion, and that is all it is my opinion, just because we have no way of communicating with the natural world around us doesn't mean we should assume that we are in some way more important. Or that they dont have souls or spirits. Trees and plants help to maintain our world and should be given respect which is something many don't give to this earth which is probably why we are in a climate crisis.
    "Its not the fall that kills you, its the sudden stop at the end" -D.A.

    "Hold on to your butts." -Samuel L. Jackson

  3. #3
    canoebie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    Posts
    2,698
    That is a very absolute statement about which we really know absolutely nothing. Check out Findhorn Garden. A different perspective on plants and souls. Regardless, rather than being absolutely positive, I prefer to protect the trees and be a good steward of the resources provided, be they trees, plants or animals. Human beings are not the center of the universe.

    ego-eco[1].jpg
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

    Bobby Seale


    http://www.riverjourneys.org

  4. #4
    Redoleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennfield Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Posts
    3,454
    Images
    70
    No matter how good the argument, perception alone will win the day for straps.
    Good luck,
    RED

    My Youtube Channel

    Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Imperatriz, Brazil
    Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Zissou View Post
    In my opinion, and that is all it is my opinion, just because we have no way of communicating with the natural world around us doesn't mean we should assume that we are in some way more important.... Trees and plants help to maintain our world and should be given respect which is something many don't give to this earth which is probably why we are in a climate crisis.
    Don't take me on the wrong note! I didn't mean to make us something more important...I just communicate it in a way that people seem to elevate trees above humans from a comment made in another place on the forum. I do not mean that we are in the center of the universe we need and depend on everything around us to be able to thrive!

    I don't doubt we are in a climate crises but looking at the facts it is only going to get worse...should the government start birth control like in China? What will happen when the world reaches 14 billion people? YIKES...i dunno but we should start carrying more for our planet it concerns me as i shared in the video that metal and plastic is being used more and more as we run out of wood! PLANT more trees! It can be a wild topic here...

    I got my first dislike in YOUTUBE! =) It is bound to come not everyone will agree with me and I with everyone...sorry if i came out to harsh! Or didn't express myself correctly!

  6. #6
    Senior Member OldRagFreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis Bailey View Post
    Let us not equal trees with human beings because they have a body but no soul or spirit, animals have a body and soul but no spirit. We human beings are the most unique in creation! We are made up of body, soul and spirit!


    Sorry dude, but your argument is nothing more than an opinion. Tree straps don't weigh much, and actually grip the tree really well... I think I'll keep using them.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Imperatriz, Brazil
    Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    Tree straps don't weigh much, and actually grip the tree really well... I think I'll keep using them.
    Hey! Don't have stop using your tree straps! I bet they weigh a lot lighter! Keep using them! Maybe someday I will too.

  8. #8
    XTrekker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Posts
    2,141
    Images
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post


    Sorry dude, but your argument is nothing more than an opinion. Tree straps don't weigh much, and actually grip the tree really well... I think I'll keep using them.
    After reading and re-reading all the posts. I think everybody is arguing the exact same point. I think the OP is saying just to not use ropes and don't leave straps up for long periods of time..Although, I could be completely wrong..lol

    Some of these posts are hard to follow. The sentence structure and thought flow is a bit off so please correct me if I am wrong about this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member OldRagFreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    After reading and re-reading all the posts. I think everybody is arguing the exact same point. I think the OP is saying just to not use ropes and don't leave straps up for long periods of time..Although, I could be completely wrong..lol

    Some of these posts are hard to follow. The sentence structure and thought flow is a bit off so please correct me if I am wrong about this.
    Ya I don't exactly know what he's saying... But when I hear 'we don't have enough trees? Why don't we plant more?' I get a little testy. Either way, what was presented as a factual argument turned out to be nothing but opinion. I don't like any opinion that could be interpreted as 'don't bother with tree straps' to go unchecked.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Posts
    1,305
    Here's my thought.

    It doesn't matter if YOU...or I...or anyone else thinks that tree straps are less damaging to the trees.

    It MATTERS because it's been the primary change that hammock campers have made that has allowed us access to many, many parks and locations that were previously could not go because of damage done by previous campers.

    Whether or not you agree that they reduce damage to the tree is pretty much irrelevent. Whether or not you think damage to the tree is important or not is irrelevent.

    Others do feel that they reduce damage, and that damage matters.

    And it's THEIR perceptions that we've got to work with in order to be allowed to camp in the fashion we've chosen.

    Ergo...tree straps for the win, in my book, every time.

Similar Threads

  1. Why we use straps: The cambium layer
    By Gravity in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-15-2014, 04:28
  2. Rope vs. Tree Straps
    By Denis Bailey in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 08:58
  3. Tree Damage
    By doc in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 16:39
  4. Hanging without straps and rope damage
    By jscalia in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-05-2007, 09:41
  5. Tree Damage?
    By Curt in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 18:41

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •