Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV Mountaineer View Post
    I'm a forester by trade. In deciduous forests, planted trees are out grown by tree shoots off stumps due to logging. Trees species in their native habitat needs not to be replanted. What I'm saying is trees are a renewable resource. We should use them and treat them that way. The death of a tree is just as beneficial to ALL organisms and life as the growth of them. This country has declined proportionally as we move from conservation to preservation.

Use the dang rope guys if that fancies you. I promise another tree will grow back if you damage one from hanging from it repeatedly. God Bless
    I agree,,and I will say it again. Where I live, barbed wire in trees everywhere and they live forever. I have a yellow poplar tree,,about 2' dia. that we used to use for hanging our targets on, and shoot into to sight in guns before hunting season,,about shot half way thru and full of lead,,and its all growing back closed and now 3' dia. I am not going to say this tree will eventually die of disease, but it"s healing itself. Hang with straps, rope, what ever. Your not going to hurt the bark of a tree. You need to take a look where the squirrels have stripped the bark off another huge yellow poplar next to my house going up and down it all winter long to feed on the seeds of the 2 bird feeders we had up all winter. the feed cost me about 300 bucks feeding the wildlife but the tree will re-grow its bark.

We need to support our rules that we hang by. We need to set the example of being good stewards of tree care in the parks and where we hang. I agree to all the rules we hang by. But still,,,trees are more resillent than we are. And, here in the US,,our forest lands are growing because of our stewardship towards protecting our trees. Just my 2 cents. Peace!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Cambium Damage - Rope vs. Tree Straps

None of this makes any sense to me. Strap vs rope? What is the context of the tree? Young vs old, what species ? Where is this tree? I care more about a tree at a campsite used by hundreds OD campers each year than a tree way out in the middle of the forest.

It seems to me this would be pretty easy to apply some science to if you understood the context.

Here in the US our forest lands are more productive due to timber management by FORESTERS and TIMBER companies. Not Sierra Club volunteers and groups that "protect" our forest. As science proves, preservation leads to extinction of any plant or animal. Even though there is less forest land right now since the beginning of the 20th century because of of urban sprawl, the resource is at it highest demand, while being produced off of less land reserves. If a forest can survive and proportionally be more productive after being introduced to chainsaws I doubt a tree strap or rope is going to matter in the long run.

Follow the rules where you hang. Other than that, the effects of hanging a hammock on a tree really is a mute point, unless somebody makes it one. God Bless

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Climate change? Who says.
    Um, scientists say? Based on the rest of your comments, I sincerely doubt you're going to beat anybody down with your superior knowledge of science. Not gonna happen.

The thread is about straps versus rope, and their effect on trees. Anything to add?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    ... "preserving", i.e (protecting) a resource that demands utilization to be productive....
    I've seen first hand what happens to a forest if productivity is the only driving force to "keep" a forest.
    Borneo. Logging and palm oil plantations. Not a pretty sight...
    Good judgement comes from experience - Experience comes from bad judgement

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Guys, I think this conversation is getting carried away. Rope vs Strap debate is about causing as little amount of damage to the tree as possible. I think we can all agree that a Rope or a strap will not KILL the tree. It all stems back to LNT. Straps simply do less damage to the bark and tree itself IMO. How much less is not as important as the act of doing the least amount of damage possible. Besides, it makes the Park officials happy, and nobody wants an unhappy park ranger around them.

Wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked. Personally wouldnt mind it even being deleted. lol

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    This topic crops up every so often. It always ends the same way. Too bad there isn't a way to highlight the past discussions so we can avoid rehashing the same old same old in this case.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Guys, I think this conversation is getting carried away. Rope vs Strap debate is about causing as little amount of damage to the tree as possible. I think we can all agree that a Rope or a strap will not KILL the tree. It all stems back to LNT. Straps simply do less damage to the bark and tree itself IMO. How much less is not as important as the act of doing the least amount of damage possible. Besides, it makes the Park officials happy, and nobody wants an unhappy park ranger around them.

Wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked. Personally wouldnt mind it even being deleted. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    This topic crops up every so often. It always ends the same way. Too bad there isn't a way to highlight the past discussions so we can avoid rehashing the same old same old in this case.
    Well put guys. A good note to end on, IMHO.

Hammock
    Brazilian Hammock
    Insulation
    Quilt or Blanket
    Suspension
    Rope
    My goodness! What a thread! Sorry you all for such a confusing topic! Some people understood what I was trying to get across and I see why I wasn't so clear. I didnt give my argument a good backbone when I was talking about Ropes vs. Tree Straps. I was bothered by the fact that some people attacked the knot rope idea and someone commented....

Just as a test...put your hand between the tree bark and rope then have a friend hop into the hammock. You'll get a huge red mark, your fingers will go to sleep and there will be a significant amount of discomfort/pain. Now multiply that by 8 hours x multiple hangers and you get the idea.

Once your hand stops throbbing you can try it again using some webbing.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=71168&page=2

I was disgustied that people would dehumanize people to the point of comparing us with trees. Not to use our ego...we are not independent nor dependent but interdependent on life and everything around us!

As for body, soul and spirit, that was a rabit hole...as I said I was upset that people would bring us humans down to a low level such as trees...as for soul vs. spirit our soul is our mind, will and emotions. We think, we decide and we feel the effects of our thoughts, decision and it creates a feeling (positive or negative). Thats why animals have a soul, trees don't. We have a spirit which makes us the most intelectual beings on the planet (sadly we don't act like it many times).

I will make another video to refine e redifine what I said and how I said it. It will be a while as I don't have constant access to internet.
    Last edited by Denis Bailey; 04-29-2013 at 08:12. Reason: text correction

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Instead of continuing this particular line of discussion, and even doubling-down on it as the OP has just done, this seems like a good place to end the conversation.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234