WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas

Well this is the main trail that I backpack through. I've been looking for some buddies to go, but everyone doesn't seem too interested with the idea. Wondering if anyone here wants to plan a trip soon? I live about three hours south of here and was raised around this area. Trail is called Eagle Rock Loop, Ouachita National Forest, Arkansas. Just looking for some fellow hangers

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Just did the loop solo last weekend. Perfect weather. Tons of water. Hope you get the hike in solo or otherwise.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Haven't tried solo hiking yet. How was it on that aspect? I'm really considering it due to the low amount of people I can find that are interested.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I thought I would not enjoy the hike as much solo as with my buddies, but the opportunity to go came up on Wednesday for hiking Friday-Sunday, so I didn't even try to find any hiking buddies.

I had a blast. Hiked at my pace. Took breaks when I wanted. Went as slow or as fast as I wanted on the creek crossings/shoe changes.

It was truly relaxing. I wished the loop was about 20 miles longer so I could have stayed out another couple of days alone.

Take a book or a Kindle. Get to camp, get set up, gather a little firewood (you just need a little fire alone), then just sit back and enjoy.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    I thought I would not enjoy the hike as much solo as with my buddies, but the opportunity to go came up on Wednesday for hiking Friday-Sunday, so I didn't even try to find any hiking buddies.

I had a blast. Hiked at my pace. Took breaks when I wanted. Went as slow or as fast as I wanted on the creek crossings/shoe changes.

It was truly relaxing. I wished the loop was about 20 miles longer so I could have stayed out another couple of days alone.

Take a book or a Kindle. Get to camp, get set up, gather a little firewood (you just need a little fire alone), then just sit back and enjoy.
    Yeah I'm debating it because it's my all time favorite hobby and I want to do it a lot, but everyone else is kind of not into it as much. So I may have to take up solo hiking. Just need the kick start to do so because I'm worried if something were to happen lol. I agree with the relaxing part though. I've been out there three times so far and I always come back with a clear mind. Any tips on solo hiking besides keeping myself entertained?

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Make your hiking plan ahead of time. Leave a copy of that hiking plan with friends and family. Leave another copy VISIBLE on the dash of your car at your designated parking spot. Then stick to the plan.

Include the ranger district's phone number on the plan and tell your friends/family to contact the ranger district if you don't return some time after your expected return date/time... i told my wife to wait a day.

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I'll go with you, but I need to find the right weekend... The next 2 or 3 weekends will be very busy, but after that I will be free...

Also, check out backpackingarkansas.com people on there always looking for someone to hike/backpack with...

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Make your hiking plan ahead of time. Leave a copy of that hiking plan with friends and family. Leave another copy VISIBLE on the dash of your car at your designated parking spot. Then stick to the plan.

Include the ranger district's phone number on the plan and tell your friends/family to contact the ranger district if you don't return some time after your expected return date/time... i told my wife to wait a day.
    Thanks for the safety heads up Shane!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeHouse View Post
    I'll go with you, but I need to find the right weekend... The next 2 or 3 weekends will be very busy, but after that I will be free...

Also, check out backpackingarkansas.com people on there always looking for someone to hike/backpack with...
    Sounds good SmokeHouse. I'm usually always free during the weekends. Just let me know ahead of time with your info in a PM or something. I think in the next couple weeks I'm going on a short deployment for like a week or so, but that's all that I think would get in the way.

Hammock
    Smokehouse Gathered End Hammock
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

ERL info

You might consider becoming a member of Backpacking Arkansas. There are folks hiking that trail just about every week. Leigh, also a member here,
    just hiked it last weekend and has a lengthy trip report posted. Lots of good info on the trail.
    Former hiker due to health issues those days are over.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by ouachita hiker View Post
    Leigh, also a member here,
    just hiked it last weekend and has a lengthy trip report posted. Lots of good info on the trail.
    On this forum or the other... I don't see it if it's on this forum... I see Shane's trip report from a while back...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast