Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!

Beach Hang? SC or NC

Background:
    Trying to get the wife and daughter into camping... Wife wants to go to the beach. I thought I might try to get to decent car camp ground at the beach. When I was kid we went to "Hunting Island" several times but it seems it is all booked up for next couple of months.

Do you know of any decent camping areas along the beach in NC or SC maybe even northern GA?

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    You might want to check out Edisto Island. I think there are two campgrounds there (State Park?). One campground is right beside the beach but may lack anything to hang from. The other campground is a half mile or so from the beach but is on the marsh.

Hammock
    GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Yes, it is tough to get camping spots at Hunting Island and Edisto State Park in warmer weather. We booked our beach front site at Edisto for June, 11 months ago! People do book months in advance and find they can not make the trip and cancel so you can keep checking and Reserve America has email alerts if a site becomes available that you like. The back loop of Edisto is not on the beach but may have sites available. If you don't mind primitive camping you can Ferry your car to Cape Lookout NC, or if you have a boat Capers Island SC has boat in camping .

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 9
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Durangoz View Post
    Cape Lookout NC, or if you have a boat Capers Island SC has boat in camping .
    Oh those look prime for a Forums "group" hang. I so want to hang out there. But does not look like something I will attempt for first camping trip with family.

Hammock
    GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Those two places are on my bucket list to camp. Also on that beach list is Bahai Honda sandspur campsites in the Fla Keys. Hubby will need to make some folding hammock hangers to bring for the treeless beachy goodness.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Carolina Beach State Park in NC is probably the only place in NC you can hang a hammock along the beach ( I have not camped there but I know some forum members who have ).

Hammocks Beach State Park NC is not hammock friendly. Its a bit inland but Merchants Mill Pond State Park in NC is hammock friendly, has hiking trails and canoe rentals. Cliffs of the Neuse State Park is also hammock friendly, has hiking trails and a swimming lake. Both of the these two are the park at your camp site, with water and showers/restrooms.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Carolina Beach State Park in NC is probably the only place in NC you can hang a hammock along the beach ( I have not camped there but I know some forum members who have ).
    Gunner,

CBSP is a good place to camp - Paddles and I have hung over there a few times this spring. Does leave you a little ways (~1 mi.) from the beach. There are numerous parking lots in town for daytime beach goers - you would most likely have to use one of those. They have the same "gate locks at 8PM" policy like the other SPs. There are sandy hiking trails that lead to great views along the river. Swimming is not allowed anywhere in the park - mostly due to strong currents.

Please let me know if you decide to come here - I can point you to places in town and it would be good to see you guys again.

Chuck

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post

Hammocks Beach State Park NC is not hammock friendly. Its a bit inland but Merchants Mill Pond State Park in NC is hammock friendly, has hiking trails and canoe rentals. Cliffs of the Neuse State Park is also hammock friendly, has hiking trails and a swimming lake. Both of the these two are the park at your camp site, with water and showers/restrooms.
    Merchants Millpond is a great spot for hanging. But, it's a little late in the season. The bugs take over from now 'till October.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    BIAS XL Camper, ENO DN
    Tarp
    12x10 WL tarp
    Insulation
    Junebug quilts
    Suspension
    WS, TH, ET
    Images
    Huntington Beach state park is where we do the spring swing. The primitive section is only for groups though. I've not tried hanging in the rustic sites but others have.

Some of us are looking at myrtle beach state park. As of now I have no info to give on this location.
    Life looks better from a BIAS hammock.

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    I'm thinking about reserving a site at Hunting Island for the fall. Does anyone know which site numbers are best i.e. trees for hanging, private, away from motor homes etc...?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast