DH Dangerbird 11' 2 layer
    Tarp
    SLD Multicam
    Insulation
    Solar Ridgerest
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

I know, probably a stupid question.

But are the Rothco Jungle Hammocks that bad? I'd love to get a tree boat (new to hammocking, but like the idea of laying flat, not like a bannana). I don't plan on backpacking or using it as a main source for camping. I want something to get me off the ground to sleep in that can be packed in a bug out bag in case the SHTF. I don't have a lot of money, so while not trying to be cheap, I do need to be frugal as there is a lot of stuff I feel I need in a short amount of time. Anyone here ever use these? I've really only seen one bad review.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. Those hammocks look like they weigh a ton. Why do you need a lot of stuff in a short amount of time? Is the Zombie Apocalypse coming?

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

I know, probably a stupid question.

I don't know the rothco but I watched a few YouTube on them and they look useable. I would go with a eno dn for more comfort and lighter. You could save up a little a get something nice like a BIAS camper xl. But anything is better than nothing.
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Really! I'm in Indiana too

BOB is not really the place I think of skimping. Especially on the major hardware. Shelter, Water purification, High quality Syn Insulation, Firearms. Just doesn't seem prudent.

There are however a ton of other items that can be found at low or little cost, DIY'd or repurposed. Take a spin through a local Dollar General or the like, for dried soup mixes, canned and tinned shelf stable meats. There's cordage, biners, candles, sunscreen, the lists goes on and on, and most for about a buck. Try Wallyworld, and Kmart for cheap pots and light weight cookware(IMUSA pots).

I would probably consider something else hammock wise, if I was going to have to call it everything from home to bunker. Clark makes a fine line of top end bombproof hammock shelters. Too heavy for most to consider them for long distance backpacking. On the higher end cost wise, but you also get what you pay for, a great bombproof shelter.

You said BOB, so I'm not going into the discussion over weight penalties vs the need to move fast and/or on foot. There are also a bunch of other things to consider like scanning all ID's, Titles, Insurance papers, Bank and Credit cards, Birth Certs, etc, onto a flash drive, to be taken with you. You need to have a plan and a place to go, with other people on the other end, that know you will be coming in the event of a disaster.

Most people that got really messed up during Katrina, were not just impoverished, they were socially impoverished. In most cases they had no where to go or anyone to turn to.

On the other hand, if you can show, LEO or other Government responders, that you have means to take care of you and your's, a destination locked in, and real people on the other end, expecting you to show, they are less likely to think they can keep you sitting on an off ramp, or bussed away to somewhere you don't want to be.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Sv: I know, probably a stupid question.

Wouwkwiáw èbåqe
    Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You don't sleep like a banana. Common newbie misconception. Use a diagonal lie with a quality hammock and you sleep quite flat. Read up some more on the forums and you'll find more than everything you never needed to know plus a whole lot you do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Ramblinrev put it well, in a good hammock there isn't any banana shape to it. I know that many or possibly most non-hammockers have that misconception, but it just ain't so. My best advise would be to get a hammock that is at least a couple of feet longer than you are, and around 50 inches wide. This along with the great advise and instructions from Derek Hanson's book will most likely insure the possibility of sleep, and comfortable sleep at that. I understand the tough job of balancing the need for good gear and keeping a lid on cost at the same time, but don't give up, it can be done, and you will be a happy hanger.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    +1 to what Ramblinrev and old4hats said.

I'm also going to note that knowledge and practice are the two biggest things you can put in a bug out bag. If you know how to make an hammock with found materials, if you know how to make a tarp with found materials, if you know how to stay warm in cold and wet conditions and cool in hot and humid conditions, it will serve you well in emergency conditions. Same as knowing basic first aid and how to make a survival fire.

Just a thought.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    +1 to what Ramblinrev and old4hats said.

I'm also going to note that knowledge and practice are the two biggest things you can put in a bug out bag. If you know how to make an hammock with found materials, if you know how to make a tarp with found materials, if you know how to stay warm in cold and wet conditions and cool in hot and humid conditions, it will serve you well in emergency conditions. Same as knowing basic first aid and how to make a survival fire.

Just a thought.
    aye!! +1 to this...knowing is half the battle. (YO JOE!!) I'm still trying to figure out how to string together zombies to make a hammock. vid as soon as i get it figured out. (I kid, I kid.)

As for Rothco... they make airsoft quality, midgrade military knock offs basically. They are a foreunner in the knock off industry so you could do worse. However, I'd sooner put my life into a DIY tablecloth factory hammock. Do a search for it and fronkey's DIY bugnet. A plus to this along with any BOB is having multiple uses for all items. This way everything is modular and you can tuck away whats not in use...sometimes you need a tarp, sometimes ya don't, bugnet the same as well. I'm not gonna go into the banana myth...that only happens when you try to squeeze yourself into a hammock too small for you from what I've seen and experienced.

+1 on what Rolloff said. a Bob is not something you really want to skimp on. a good place to do some research is The Zombie Squad forums.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    OH god the survivalistboards talk has made its way to hammock forums. I thought I escaped the BOBers when I came here. dang it...lol
    I'm gonna have to just stick to the Trip Planning section and DM Section...lol

I kid, I kid.....kinda

But I would go with a HH Explorer over the Jungle hammock for a BOB... Its just easier to use and more durable IMO

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast