Thread: Hello NC

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    $16 Brown WallyMt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hello NC

I currently live in SW PA. However my wife has just taken a position at Duke. So it looks like I am Durham bound. Actually not real sure of the location yet. Thought I might ask around here some. What are some nice areas in and around Durham to relocate to? More importantly where can we hike camp and ride our bikes? Any information you may be able to give would be greatly appreciated. My wife's sister and husband live in Clayton. So I am vaguely familiar with the area close to their house but that is about it.
    Thanks in advance

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Eno River State park has hike in camping. Falls Lake and Jordan Lake have several camp grounds most of which are car camping. Umstead State park has some great multi-use trails that are popular with local mountain bikers.

Raven Rock State park and Uwharrie National Forest aren't terribly far as well and both provide great places to be outdoors.

Oh, and an early welcome to town. Too bad you just missed the Inagural Smoke Butt Hang.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Welcome to NC! Raleigh is a great place to live and Cary is popular too. However- traffic throughout the entire area can be time-consuming during rush-hours. Might want to time your expected commutes before you find a home??

The HF members in the Carolinas are an active bunch and within about 3-4 hours drive you have more trails, parks, and national forest destinations than anyone can visit in a year of weekends. Keep your eyes peeled on the Southeast trip-planning forum and come join us

After you have conquered all the bike trails nearby consider going to Pisgah (near Asheville) cause there is a large and thriving trail-bike community there too.

PM me if you have school-age children. My daughter teaches in the Raleigh system and I may be able to do some recon for you.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome to NC! Life is good here and you will love it. Particularly the lighter winters. From the Durham area you have hiking, camping, lakes, the beach, the mountains and fellow hangers all close by. Enjoy!

Chuck

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness and DUKE. I grew up in Durham and my father worked at Duke so if was anywhere on campus word always got back to him.

Lots of places to ride (MT Bike, road ect), hike ( of course I recommend the Neusiok Trail) and camp from the Mts to the Sea.

We also have the best BBQ and Seafood.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    $16 Brown WallyMt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Lots of places to ride (MT Bike, road ect), hike ( of course I recommend the Neusiok Trail) and camp from the Mts to the Sea.

We also have the best BBQ and Seafood.
    Now those are the kinds of things I wanted to hear. I spend some time on the Outer Banks in the summer. I know it took me around 3 hours to get from Corolla to Clayton last summer. From the Durham area what would you say are the nicest beaches close by?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RovinIIA View Post
    Now those are the kinds of things I wanted to hear. I spend some time on the Outer Banks in the summer. I know it took me around 3 hours to get from Corolla to Clayton last summer. From the Durham area what would you say are the nicest beaches close by?
    The most family friendly are the Brunswick county beaches - Oak Island, Holden Beach, Ocean Isle, and Sunset Beach. Takes about 3.5 hours to get to them. These are south of Wilmington.

If you like commercialized beaches, Wrightsville, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach are less than 3 hours.

In the middle still about 3.5 hours away is the Crystal coast which includes Emerald Isle, Atlantic Beach, Morehead City, and the quaint village of Beaufort.

5-6 hours are the Outer Banks, which everyone needs to see at least once in their lives. That's home to Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, where the Wright brothers made their historic first flights. Farther north is Corolla with a nice lighthouse and wild horses. South is home to Hatteras and its famous lighthouse.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The outer banks are a great place to visit but beware that in the summer the place is jammed pack with tourist plus very hot and humid
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Our beaches

As a rule, I tend to avoid the beaches on the mainland simply because they are tourist traps. Ocracoke--the Southernmost settled island--is fantastic, but be forewarned, there is no bridge to the island, so you either take the ferry, an airplane, or swim. Also, the campgrounds feature very few trees.

You might also be interested in Hammock's Beach state park. Don't let the name fool you though; it is impossible to hammock camp there. The campgrounds are on Bear island. Nothing taller or more substantial than dune grass on Bear island.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    $16 Brown WallyMt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    How unfair to name a beach Hammock beach and not be able to swing.

• + New Posts