DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images

Paddy Creek Wilderness, MO (19-21 APR 2013)

Hoot, Kerflop, and I hiking the North and South Loops of the Big Piney Trail in the Paddy Creek Wilderness of the Mark Twain National Forest.

37°31'14.55"N 92° 7'25.70"W

Last edited by RamenShamen; 04-22-2013 at 02:06.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    What was your total distance covered? Pics are awesome as always!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Some nice country on that trail. You must have parked at the Roby Lake trailhead. I would imagine the water was up in Paddy Creek Campground. My wife and I have started hiking the wilderness area alot. It's kinda my backyard. Bout 15 min or so from the house. Great pics of the area. Looks like you guys had a good trip.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    What was your total distance covered? Pics are awesome as always!
    Thanks, Owl. The entire trail is 17 miles. We circumvented the north east end of the loop (we lost the trail), so it was probably right around 12 miles.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

--Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markunas View Post
    Some nice country on that trail. You must have parked at the Roby Lake trailhead. I would imagine the water was up in Paddy Creek Campground. My wife and I have started hiking the wilderness area alot. It's kinda my backyard. Bout 15 min or so from the house. Great pics of the area. Looks like you guys had a good trip.
    You are lucky to have easy access to such an awesome area. It was my first time down there...I am a fan! It is quite lovely down there.

We cut across Paddy Creek Road after we lost the trail, so our trip ended up being a bit shorter than planned. We met a few characters along the trail. A very "inquisitive" turkey hunter was kind enough to ferry us across the low-water bridge (which was covered in rushing water) in the back of his pickup. After thanking him, and a brief discussion amongst ourselves, we decided to camp off trail, far from where we told him we were going to camp. "Does any one hear banjos?"

Stay tuned, Hoot's video trip report is in post-production editing, and should be up soon.

Thanks for watching...this was my first attempt at a video slideshow.

--Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Hahaha..."banjo's"...some folks would give you that impression. I live here but I would hesitate to camp in the campground. Local party people you know. Camping off trail is a treat though, so many choices of great places. Did you take the south loop from Roby and come back on the north or the other way around ?

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markunas View Post
    Hahaha..."banjo's"...some folks would give you that impression. I live here but I would hesitate to camp in the campground. Local party people you know. Camping off trail is a treat though, so many choices of great places. Did you take the south loop from Roby and come back on the north or the other way around ?
    I much prefer camping off-trail. We went counter clockwise, taking the North Loop, across Paddy Creek Rd., and then down the South Loop.

--Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    I see. Did you lose the trail around Paddy Creek campground or someplace else. The horseback riders have cut part of it off on the north loop. One of these days I'm gonna try and find the small part that has been abandoned. All in all it's a fun trail. We do quite a bit of hiking on different parts of the national forest. No trails though just kinda make a big loop. We haven't made it to the OT yet but plan to this summer. It's not far either. Great pics you posted too !

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    We lost the trail just after the spot where the old military road cuts across the little Paddy Creek. As you head up around to the far Overlook the trail in the flood plane was washed out. But we bushwacked our way to the Paddy Creek Road and hitch a ride across the raging torrent... This was my third trip and had a great time. We saw more people this time then I have ever seen... The hunter I liked to call Billy Joe Jim Bob (and I am also from the area so I can make fun of the locals ), a couple of hunters from Arkansas, one of which you couldn't understand, a farther and son team that looked more lost then we were (I know Ramen, you and Hoot weren't lost... ), a few folks on horse back, two dear and a turkey.... All in all, a wonderful weekend and I look forward to heading out again.

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    nice job on the video/pictures Jeremy and great music... I told you that was not an easy trail! LOL- especially if you ran into some locals...

ya'all have a pretty mouth boy!
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast