Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Full timers, what do you guys use?

Hello!
    I'm new here. It was time to buy a new mattress, and the options in my price range were less than impressive. Somehow, I stumbled across hammocks and fell in love with the idea. I bought the Vivere one with the stand from Amazon as it got fantastic reviews, http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004YJ...sr=8-1&pi=SL75 but it didn't work for me. The hammock is a thick canvas and creates pressure points. It's going back.

What do you guys use?

Some parameters: I'm about 5'2, 110 lbs. My bedroom is only 12' long, and I'm not keeping a hammock in my living room forever . I was originally thinking a Brazilian hammock, but after my experience, I'm scared. But I am also really good at getting snags in socks and sweaters, so I'm a little leery of Mayans, too. And there can't be fringe; my cat will destroy it . I live in a mobile home and am unsure what my studs are made of or if they'd even work.
    Also, do you have to experiment with hanging heights? I don't want 16 holes in my walls.
    As you can see, I really don't know what I'm doing. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Full timers, what do you guys use?

There are several stands that work of you search for stands on here their are lots of options... On hammocks it seems like people just use whatever they have... A friend of mine sleeps in his weight weenie micro in his Vario stand... In his living room...

Ikea has a stand and hammock combo that looks promising... There is no need to mount into the studs if you don't want to... But if you decide to you can always install a horizontal 2x4 that spans a few studs and that way you spread the load out...

There is a hammock hang calculator... There is an app for it on android and iPhone... I don't remember the site but there is a webpage... I bet google would bring the page up... I hope this helps...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Definitely do some searches on hammock stands, wall studs, inside hanging, fulltimers, etc... here at HF...there are multiple threads on these subjects -many with photos and even what some use as bedding in the hammocks. There are also a few posts that illustrate how they went about attaching hangers from wall studs and such.

it might also do ya some good to look at Derek Hansen's website and book, both are very informative. http://theultimatehang.com/

you can also find the calculator there as well- it will help you dial in the proper hang http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/
    Last edited by toygun; 04-26-2013 at 14:42.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat
    For house hammocks....I like the old school central american woven ones. All the weaves minimize pressure points. The bigger the better. I have a solid black one from Guatemala I love in particular.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Here is the link to the stand I DIYed and sleep in every night. The hammock in the pics was my first DIY and I'm still sleeping in it every night. Goodluck on your search.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Thank you all so much! I will see what I can come up with.

Hammock
    HH expedition ; BB double layer
    Tarp
    hh hex WB Supr Fly
    Insulation
    .5ccf speer s.p.e.
    Suspension
    variety
    I ahve found the Byer Amazon wonderful and have used it for years... Also have a byer stand... they are great
    How many time have you heard.......? "nice hammock what about when there are no trees?"

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Sorry, I just went back thru this thread and realized that I didn't link the link, Duh.https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=35273

Might have been one of those senior things.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    My full-time hammock is made from a burgundy crinkle taffeta tablecloth. Directions are somewhere on this forum...here's the link where I bought the thing: tableclothfactory.com

Duffy's still working on installation, been working so many hours lately there hasn't been much time for the project, but soon, I will have it all set. Those details won't matter much to you, because - although the room is close to the same size (as is the occupant, as a matter of fact) - the house is 50's concrete block and plaster. He made the hammock a double layer, and I have an old mattress pad inserted in it, to increase the 'cozy' feel.
    Last edited by MightyMouse; 04-27-2013 at 06:36. Reason: clarity
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I use a stand and and ENO hammock. I got the stand at D-i-c-k-'s Sporting Goods for $70, it takes up one whole side of my small apartment bedroom but it's worth it. I also use two one foot lengths of chain on the stand so that I have some flexibility with my hang height. Add an UQ and I'm good to go with just a blanket on top. I have two cats and have never had a problem with them destroying any part of my set up. Sometimes, I think they enjoy it more than I do...spoiled kittykats that they are Good luck with whatever you decide
    Debi

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast