Thread: New to this

New to this

I am wanting to start hammock camping. I like to do everything cheap but don't want to cut cost on comfort do I get the enos DN with bug net and rain fly? Or The Byer of Maine Moskito Traveller and rain fly? I am sick of setting up a tent and want to make life simpler

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Personally I would go with the ENO hammock with the bug net, but I wouldn't get the rainfly because I don't like the amount of coverage I get from rain. Just doesn't seem effecient. I have the Kelty Noah 12x12 and although 12 feet seems like a lot it's nice for the extra coverage. At only 2 lbs. I don't mind the weight in my backpack.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Warbonnet Blackbird with a Superfly. You will be ready for anything

The eno fly is pretty heavy for the coverage that you get.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Warbonnet Blackbird with a Superfly. You will be ready for anything

The eno fly is pretty heavy for the coverage that you get.
    and short. Both the hammock and the flys. If you are approx. 6ft or taller I'd avoid an ENO hammocks. they are made well but are really short which will make for a not as comfortable lay as a longer one. look for a 10-11ft hammock. The fly's are meant for blocking the sun on the beach and aren't really made to cover you too well in downpours. (my first setup was all ENO). For the price you are considering dropping on an ENO you could make a DIY gathered end hammock and a bugnet (search for DIY gatherend hammock and Fronkeys bugnet) and probably still have the cash left over to buy a warbonnet superfly.
    Last edited by toygun; 04-26-2013 at 14:52.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: New to this

I can back up what these guys are saying about the ENO tarps... Short and narrow, not really good coverage for a lot of weight...

Look up the wilderness logics tadpole, it is a little more $ than the ENO profly but a lot more coverage and almost 1/2 the weight...

Hammocks, you can make your own pretty easily and cheap... If weight isn't that big of an issue the table cloth hammocks ROCK!!! But next to that I would say look at the BIAS weight weenie, or the weight weenie micro depending on your needs... Get their buginator net and your all set other than your suspension which there is also a million options on...

Welcome to the insanity my friend...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from Florida!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Re: New to this

Thank you for all the advice, but after doing a ton of reading and videos I think I'll give the taffeta tablecloth hammock a try first.

I got the tablecloth in today. Now I need to find the time to sew it. The fire pistons are keeping me very busy. I will post some photos.

• + New Posts