Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenpossum View Post
    I had some extra amsteel left over from some loops I made and just quickly tied the ends together to test some new straps. I managed to sit in the hammock for about 10 minutes until it came undone and the weak point was where the knot was in the amsteel. One bruised elbow & ego later, I was getting up off the ground and making a mental note to not do that again!
    for those of us who used to water ski, we remember the slipricity of the ole SKI ROPE

whenever we would break an original unit, we would always try to just tie it back together, to finish out the day

and the knot almost always failed

butt(pun intended, since that's what we are landing on) the water is way softer than falling to the ground, in the middle of the night

some of us went to the hardware store & bought the hollow fid & spliced a new eye on them, which is similar to what we are doing w/ the AMSTEEL and it worked

Hmmmmmmmm???

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    yeahbut - look at the requirements for climbing. Strength is not listed as they just use big enough ropes. Hammockers looking for ultralight are also pushing for minimum rope sizes.
    according to the information in the OP, as long as we stick to the proven sound method of splicing the 7/64" AMSTEEL, there shouldn't be any worries

i, personally, am willing to risk my 260# butt on the 95% rating of the splice

AND... I WILL REMEMBER to avoid the temptation to tie a knot in the slippery stuff

MANY THANKS FOR THE LINK

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Amsteel is slippery by nature and doesn't hold knots well. Climbing ropes are designed to hold a knot. Ropes are rated at the number of recommended falls and a kilonewton rating. Most dynamic climbing ropes (9-10mm) are rated around 9 kN (about 2000lbs). Static rescue ropes (11-13mm) are rated around 29 kN (about 6500 lbs). Even still knots derate the ropes significantly.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    In the paper there are two tables of knot strengths. Table 3 is of knots in traditional rope, Table 4 is many of the same knots in Amsteel. There are two differences that make knots worse in Amsteel.

First is the slipperiness as several have already mentioned. If you really want to you can put a cover on the Amsteel or buy rope with a Dyneema core to make that a non-issue. The real problem lies in the fiber type. Dyneema ropes are made from Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW-PE). The nature of this fiber makes it so you need a 8:1 bend radius to maintain the full strength of the rope. So, a 1/8" line would need a radius of 1". A traditional kernmatle rope only needs a 3:1 radius. The radius requirement is where most of the performance difference in the charts comes from. And as Rain Man has already pointed out, you can also run into this problem with hardware.

I'm going off of memory for the radius numbers, so if I'm wrong please correct me. I hope this clarifies some of the rope's properties.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the info. That's really useful to have quantifiable results and not just heresay.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    diy whoopie slings

Why knots are not recommended in Amsteel or similar lines

I just recently started using amsteel. Glad I read this. Thank you!

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I'm glad this helps clear stuff up.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I'm glad this helps clear stuff up.
    I'm sure it won't stop people from using knots with Amsteel, but it gives me peace of mind and confirms what I already thought.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    But don't forget, hardware can weaken ropes just as much or more. A really sharp bend over an edge or hardware with a small diameter can be worse than a bad knot. Even dynamic forces can permanently weaken a rope.....
    True. I had 1.75 zing it ridge line on my tarp fail in the middle of the night where the dutch hook was.

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This is the first time i've seen this post. What's ironic is I was looking up how to determine loads on a rope with the forces placed on it in a hammock just this morning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZNSoSIurQ8

My hammocks have 7/64 amsteel whoopie slings. I'm over 300# and have concerns as to how long this stuff will hold me. Thought about going to 1/8.

BTW the formula didn't help a bit. I done gragiated from the 6th grade ya no.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Firetruck, the last time I was on a scale (about 3 weeks ago) I was #319. I use the 1/8th Amsteel Blue and tie off with a quick release half-hitch (after winding up the excess between 2 carabiners - like a block & tackle) and have had no problem with slipping nor have I seen any sign of the material being overstressed.

Just my $0.02

Rob

<edit> I found some 1" webbing that I *think* is poly, not nylon. Regardless, it doesn't stretch much if at all. I bought enough to make combination tree straps and suspension lines. That hammock has an Amsteel ridgeline held on with bowlines. Failure there being more nuisance than hazard
    Last edited by Rob In AL; 05-01-2013 at 20:28.
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast