Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me choose my first

New to hammocking/tree swinging. Live in SW Arizona. Mostly something to go in outings with the Boy Scouts. I'd be getting one for me and my son. I'm 6'2" and 180#. He's 5'6" and 110#.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Help me choose my first

Look at the butt in a sling hammocks... I think their new lite hiker is an awesome choice... If your going to be hiking I highly recommend their weight weenie micro... Their bugnets are nice as well...

If your really budget conscious I recommend the table cloth hammocks... If you make it all yourself you can be air born for less than $30 a set...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Help me choose my first

No limitation on money.....buy once, cry once is my philosophy

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Help me choose my first

Well if that's the theory... I'm great at spending other people's money... Warbonnet blackbirds... By far one of the most all around best hammocks ever... They are all in one system that beats all else... A little heavy, but worth the oz for an all in one set up... Just a short look around YouTube or search around here will show that they are popular. And for good reason...

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by offtosleep View Post
    No limitation on money.....buy once, cry once is my philosophy
    I would be surprised if you will only buy one hammock. Hammocks are addictive. Once you got one, you wonder what another will be like...

My first hammock was a Blackbird, and I was never sorry for having spent the money on this hammock. I also don't think that Blackbirds are on the heavy side, provided you want the bug net. If you don't need a net, there are lighter options.

I have heard good things about Dream Hammock as well. The DangerBird and the RoamingGnome are on my wishlist. The difference to Warbonnet is, that you have more choices (length, width, material). Which might be bad for a beginner. Sometimes less is more

Maybe also consider the Warbonnet RidgeRunner, a bridge-style hammock. That's another hammock on my wishlist

In the end, you'll probably have to buy and try. And maybe sell and try another one. It's also a good idea to go to a hangout, because you will be able to see and maybe even try different hammocks.

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    I haven't commented in a long time and don't have near the experience a lot of folks have. However, I'll say this much as we are close to the same size (I'm a bit shorter and heavier but not much) my blackbird is an awsome hammock but I do get some calf pressure after an all nighter. I have a ridge runner on the way that will hopefully correct that. You have to consider how you sleep. I'm a side sleeper only and hope the flatter lie of the bridge will suit my needs better and increase my comfort. Also, look for a local hang, most will be happy to let you give thier rig a test lie......2 cents
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

Help me choose my first

I was considering the Blackbird. Glad I got some confirmation from the group. I'll post pics when I get it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by offtosleep View Post
    I was considering the Blackbird. Glad I got some confirmation from the group. I'll post pics when I get it.
    Great to hear! LOTS of good choices out there but the BB is the most comfortable gathered-end hammock I've tried. I'd definitely recommend it as the best place to start.

I'd get the XLC in 1.1 for you as the extra length will help and the standard 1.1 for your son. Get a single layer if you plan to start with underquilts (which will save weight) or a double layer if you want to start with a pad as your bottom insulation (the double layer helps keep the pad in place).
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    ....does it really matter? By the time you're done with this obsession...er, I mean healthy hobby of ours, you'll be the happy owner of several different hammocks and your entire family will be able to hang....if not the entire troop. Just saying. K.I.S.S approach.

Help me choose my first

What strap system should I go with? I have a ton of 7/64 Amsteel here at the house from a different project.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast