Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

I don't need no stinking "summer" UQ, ...

... I gots reflectix!

One of a few happy discoveries as a result of my first night out in a Warbonnet Ridge Runner is how well a 24" x 48" piece of reflectix positions and remains in place between the double layers of this hammock. I plan to add a wing of some design to wrap around and utilize the width of the "pad sleeve" even better. I'm confident that this is all I'll need to go down to 40* (maybe mid 30s) if I wear a couple light layers of clothes on my upper body, maybe a pair of thermal bottoms, wool socks, and a 20* sleeping bag. If it hadn't been for my upper arms, I would have been fine in a t-shirt and shorts with the 20* bag at a low of 50*F last night. Had to add a light poly/wool top to keep the upper arms warm.

A real selling point for this type of hammock, imo. Didn't affect the comfort of the hammock either - although I've never slept in it any other way.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Reflectix works just fine - before Ed Speer came out with his original PeaPod and the Jack's their Nest many years ago (I have both), I successfully used Reflectix down to the low 40's on a regular basis. Makes a great sit pad, I still use some for that a la Shug style.

Seeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on Reflectix. It is amazing and underrated stuff.

But, I have to say that if you can spare the money, the Lynx and RidgeRunner combo is truly the most magical thing in the hammocking world. The fit between the two is so amazing and perfect it's tough to explain. A full length, 20* Lynx only weighs 17.3 ounces and provides plenty of coverage. Set it and forget it ease. No shifting or posssible gaps during the night. It's definitely worth considering.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    No, you don't need it to start out, but they sure are nice when you get to that point. Just so long as you're able to get out there and enjoy the great outdoors.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    "the Lynx and RidgeRunner combo is truly the most magical thing in the hammocking world"

+89 !! Yup! Fits like a glove - no adjustments needed.

Also you can add a length of bungee and a cordlock to one of the Upper suspension loops. Clip the Lynx onto that, instead of onto the suspension loop, and you can loosen the corner when you need to vent the UQ (think- August).
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    A film which is not vapor-permeable -- and reflectix is made with one -- will cause the inner layer of fabric to load up with moisture under many conditions of heat and humidity. You're sleeping on a plastic sheet, one thin, nylon sheet distance from your body.

Before you depend on the reflectix overnight on the trail, try it in your own bed at home to find out if you perspire so little there is no problem.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 04-28-2013 at 16:55. Reason: spelling and worse

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    A film which is not vapor-permeable, and reflectix is made with one, going to cause the inner layer of fabric to load of with moisture under many conditions of heat and humidity. You're sleeping on a plastic sheet, one thin, nylon sheet distance from your body.

Before you depend on it overnight on the trail, try it in your own bed at home to find out you put out so little perspiration there is no problem. For some that is no doubt true.
    Good reminder. I've used it on the ground down to 20*F (not sure of the humidity) and always with a few layers (various combinations of clothes, sleeping bag(s), bivy bag, ccf pad) between me and the reflectix. I've never used it with less than a couple layers of clothes and a sleeping bag between me and it. No problems with moisture yet.

I did get considerable condensation on the inside walls of a 3-season tent that I tried to rig into a 4-season tent one time by draping mylar "survival" blankets under the rainfly. The tent was so brittle with ice in spots, I'm lucky it didn't shatter.

• + New Posts