Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Postal View Post
    I did not notice anywhere in your post that you had a pillow. This made a huge difference for me. Nice down pillow to stay light and small but just pig enough for neck support with a bit for under the head too works for me. Some also use one between their knees to get the right lie as well.
    Exactly what I was going to say. I find my neck hurts if I just lay my head on the hammock. I don't need the pillow for elevation, just to support my neck. Without the neck support I find it's the same as the pressure you eventually feel when you put your feet on a coffee table without anything under your knees. With regards to your back, is it your lower back? Perhaps something small tucked back there for lumber support?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Pillow

I used a small stuff sack with clothes as a pillow. And yes lower back. Felt like sleeping on the ground.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Agree with Gunner76. Also use http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/ to check and verify your settings. You can scroll down on that page or get the App.

As a newbie - I made a cheat sheet for each hammock and my preferences.

Before departing,

Some of the inputs do not change (given the same hammock):
    • Ridgeline Length: I believe the WBBB ridgeline is fixed at about 100"
    • Preferred Sit Height: use what you will, i use 18"
    • Weight in Hammock: Your weight ###, plus a few for quilts, gear, etc.
    • Hang Angle: 30* (for the Blackbird)

So, given the same hammock, only the Distance Between Trees will change.

I write down the resulting Hang Point (Tree Strap Height) for different Distance Between Trees possibilities (11',12',14',16',etc.). Yup, I carry a cheat sheet.
    Then record the suggested Suspension Length for each Distance Between Trees onto the cheat sheet

In the Piney Woods:
    I've been known to carry a lightweight tape measure if not hiking long distances...cause estimating - umm not so easy for me. (<--<<< Noob!)

Once two suitable trees have been selected - and the Distance Between Trees is accurately determined:
    • refer to the written correct Hang Point measurement (strap height) and hang both straps.
    • next, before hanging the hammock, I set the suggested Suspension Length (distance between the tree and the hammock (less any loops on the hammock itself).
    • Now, attach the hammock and the Hang Angle should be pretty close to 30*

Finally, I'll tighten the footend strap or whoopie to raise the footend a few inches for the WBBB (over 1' for the XLC).

From here fiddle with things until you have a comfortable lay. Hope that helps!
    The cheat sheet is a good idea. I put my hammocks up between the same two trees most of the time and have difficulty when in the woods with different trees. I have thought about bringing a tape measure because of the same difficulty measuring distances, but was afraid people would laugh! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    The cheat sheet is a good idea. I put my hammocks up between the same two trees most of the time and have difficulty when in the woods with different trees. I have thought about bringing a tape measure because of the same difficulty measuring distances, but was afraid people would laugh! Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
    Measure certain things that you are or carry and commit them to memory. Carry hikings sticks, get someone to measure the distance between the two tips when you hold them outright at shoulder level!. Measure your foot length and pace it off.

And if you really want to take a measuring tape in to the bush with you, make it a dressmakers tape, they weight next to nothing...

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I have had some similar problems with comfort, especially with a ridgeline in the fabric. Anyone have some suggestions about that?
    "May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view."-Edward Abbey

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I have had some similar problems with comfort, especially with a ridgeline in the fabric. Anyone have some suggestions about that?
    That's sometimes due to the hammock being a bit too short. You might want to try a longer one. 11-footers are popular for folks over 5'10" or so.

You'll also want to make sure your structural ridgeline (the line running up above you from one end of the hammock to the other) is set right. Make sure it's the appropriate length for your hammock and that there isn't any sag in it (it should be crazy tight either, though - just taut). I find that I get a ridge in the fabric most when most structural ridgeline isn't tight enough. If you don't have one on your Eno, do some searches here on the forum on how to make one.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Original Poster - +1 to what others have said. Keep it up. Practice makes perfect in this case.

Also, you'll also want to make sure your structural ridgeline (the line running up above you from one end of the hammock to the other) is set right. Make sure it's the appropriate length for your hammock and that there isn't any sag in it (it should be crazy tight either, though - just taut).

A few other thoughts:
    - How tall are you? If 5'10" or above, you may want to consider the BB XLC, which is longer and more comfy for most taller folks.
    - If you give it enough of a chance and still can't get right in the BB, try the RidgeRunner. It is much easier to get a very flat lay and most find it EXTREMELY comfortable.

I know it's a bummer to go through so much gear. Luckily, most like-new gear holds its value very well here on the forums and you can try one and sell it as needed. Also, Warbonnet has a 6 week satisfaction guaranteed policy. You could always order a RidgeRunner and BB XLC, try them out and return one or both if they don't work. All you'd be out is the cost of shipping.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Ridgeline

I bought a WBBB I was under the impression it was preset and its around 11' long already. I do get that ridge in the fabric but I don't think they make a longer hammock I'm 6'4" 210lbs. I was under the impression the WBBBas forgiving for newbies and the most comfortable. I hate to say it but I don't see a difference between this one and an eno as far as comfort goes. The WBBB was very finely crafted no issues like that just saying I don't feel a difference from my cheap gathered end hammock. Maybe because I'm a restless sleeper or I need to get hat suspension just right. I'll keep trying.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edge308 View Post
    I bought a WBBB I was under the impression it was preset and its around 11' long already. I do get that ridge in the fabric but I don't think they make a longer hammock I'm 6'4" 210lbs. I was under the impression the WBBBas forgiving for newbies and the most comfortable. I hate to say it but I don't see a difference between this one and an eno as far as comfort goes. The WBBB was very finely crafted no issues like that just saying I don't feel a difference from my cheap gathered end hammock. Maybe because I'm a restless sleeper or I need to get hat suspension just right. I'll keep trying.
    The original WBBB is a 10 ft hammock. He has recently released the XLC that is 11 ft and made for the taller user. But I have owned both and once you figure the correct set up for you as well as that sweet spot in the lay you will find it is nice. Actually just figured out the sweet spot in my XLC this weekend. Hoping I can recreate because it sure does make a difference.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edge308 View Post
    I bought a WBBB I was under the impression it was preset and its around 11' long already.
    Breyman was referring (I believe) to the tension on the ridgeline. Does it hang loose? Or is it tighter than a piano wire? Brandon showed in a video to have it tight, with just enough flex you can bend it slightly with your hand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast