Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtupnsmoke View Post
    I've been wondering this same thing. I have a 20* incubator and a DIY under quilt, but when I bought my ridge runner, it seems like a pad might be a better option. Do you like the pad better than the quilt for your bridge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    To be fair, I've never used a UQ with my bridge. That being said, just using it without the pad I notice a difference in comfort. With my pad, it really feels like a floating bed. I was sleeping sideways fetal, on my stomache, you name it. Without the pad I find it a little more difficult and I'd have to put a little more time in to "tuning" the hammock vs the pad it's a "close enough" and perfect lay everytime. Just my experiences though.
    While I agree that a bridge is the more capable handler of pads due to the shape and way you lay in it, I have to jump in with a nod to the Lynx. Light, perfect fitting, it's o' so great.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

I switch between pads and UQs on a regular basis. Most recently I used a 20F underquilt supplemented by a 35x45x1/4 volara pad in cold, damp weather. The UQ just couldn't keep me warm in that condition. For summers I just use the 1/4" pad. Pads have always kept me warm, but with UQs, I've found they sometimes just don't work as well as I would like. If I had to choose one for a long hike or bike tour with tough weather conditions (damp, breezy), I would take the pad. The pad works when damp and breezes don't steal heat from pads like they can from UQs. Plus, in the unthinkable situations of having to go to the ground, pads win.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have used both, and I'm planning to switch back to a pad. Not necessarily completely; I will keep my underquilts and probably still use them.

I started out with a pad, and while some people hate the feeling of a pad in the hammock, I liked it. It keeps the hammock open, and I feel that it eliminates calf pressure pretty well. I also found a pad way easier to use than an underquilt. Although I have been using underquilts for 2 years now, I still have trouble getting rid of cold spots. In order to get the quilt to close up well, I need tighten the shock cords considerably, which doesn't feel great when I shift near to the cord.

Pretty much the only issue I had with a pad was that it wasn't wide enough in the shoulders. I plan on sewing a SPE to fix it. If this issue is fixed, I think a pad is actually preferable. Provided you have a double layer hammock. The warmth-to-weight ratio is better, imho. And you can always go to ground. A pad is also a better shield from wind.

I should say that I'm using a Therm-a-Rest ProLite pad, which I found ideal. I didn't like simple foam pads not that much. Too stiff and more sweaty.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I have gone back to a mat for hangs where I might need to go to ground.

In extreme cold, I need the option of being able to go to ground or into a snow shelter and the mat (Exped downmat usually) does this.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Insulation
    JRB MT Wash4 & ORM
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    UQ in fall, winter, spring; light pad during the summer.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    One of my issues is that I have had some trouble sleeping well using pads - mainly just keeping the pad where I want it to be - and I am hoping an underquilt will help.

My hope is that with an underquilt I will be 1) warmer and 2) more able to focus on a comfortable sleeping position without worrying about keeping my pad under me.

I've always felt having to use a pad (single layer hammock) somewhat diminished the experience of using a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For me, down to about 20*, no

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Talk to Neo. He's a seriously conflicted individual on the pad vs UQ question.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I never left pads - always have a short (torso length) CCF with me for my feet and sitting around camp (and as an emergency go to ground option). I simply added UQ's as another option in the "insulation toolbox".

Inflatable pads, CCF pads, underpads (HHSS - just got this one, currently testing), reflectix and a down 3/4 UQ give me lots of good choices for under insulation depending on the trip and weather. Each excels in a different area/application. Always good to have options IMHO.

It's hard for an UQ to beat the utility/cost of pads, and hard for pads to beat the comfort of a good UQ. Insulative properties are about even, and pads get the edge for water/windproofness (is that a word?). And lastly, even though not as comfortable as UQ's (even with a DL gathered end hammock), a pad in the hammock is still far more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Knotty DIY, WBRR
    Tarp
    OES, camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighlo 66
    Suspension
    Whoopies, webbing
    Like some of the others I have a UQ for the gathered end and pad (Exped synmat) for the bridge. Both are comfy. Getting ready to DIY a torso length CS UQ for the bridge and if it ends withan epic fail, get one from Arrowhead. The Exped doubles for when I have to tent or hang. But I sure feel better in my AARP bones when hamocking, or pad, even the Wall World blue ones

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast