Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Worried about peeing on your boots? A gear hammock will do you good. Mine is just large enough to hold my boots & a 1L water bottle. One end is attached to my hammock at the head end, the other goes to one of my trekking poles. Both ends are attached by mini biners. The trekking pole end has a guy line pre attached & that is usually just staked to one of the tarp stakes. I have tried the "tie your boots to the hammock / ridgelne" & dont like doing that, the gear hammock is easier & I like easier.

Instead of snake skins, I use a Black Bishop bag with double openings to store my hammock gear. Everything fits inside: Hammock, underquilt, overquilt, sock, gear hammock & suspension webbing. I can fully set up my hammock this way in under 30 seconds. Taking everything down is about 1.5 minutes, but I don't have to pack the quilts seperatly, it's all in one.

My hanging straps are pre attached to my hammock via ring buckles. At the far end of each strap is a climbers carabiner for ease of attachment around the tree. On a nice day, with plenty of light left, this and the Black bishop bag are simply conveniances, on a Cold rainy night, with little or no light, it is (to me anyway) vital.

Figure 9s for attaching tie outs to your tarp! I have 12 on my tarp, (2 on the ridgeline, 10 at ground level) all pre attached. As with the Biners on the straps & the Black Bishop bag: on a nice day, simply a conveniance. Where they really shine is on a dark & stormy night.

I have a small generator light, weight 0.75 Oz dedicated to the hammock ONLY. It is attached to my ridgeline by a JRB mini biner & is great for reading by or checking on stuff without having to look for my headlamp. And I never need to worry about changing batteries.

In cold weather: I hang my water bottle inside the sock, from my ridgeline at my feet. This has kept it from freezing down to 11 degrees.
    You can really set it up in 30 seconds? Do you leave your underquilt permanently attached while hiking? Any pics or video of the procedure. I use two separate stuff sacks...one for the hammock and tarp and one for the underquilt. Do you pack the hammock/underquilt in one end of the sack and the tarp in the other end? Thirty second is pretty remarkable....even a minute.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH EXP-ASYM CAMO
    Tarp
    HH ASYM CAMO
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Never hang higher than you are willing to fall.

Never hang over something you are not willing to fall on / in.

..."Never hang under something you are not willing to have fall on you"...
    In other words, "respect gravity as gravity will not look out for you".

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    1.pack for night time temps. Meaning, don't go out on a hot day thinking that you will not need something warmer for the night.
    2.Also along these lines, always check the weather forecasts for the area you're camping in.
    3. No matter what the forecast, still pack for a few degrees colder. I packed my summer quilt (rated at 40degrees) for a trip that had forcasted the nights to be around 50ish. Temps dropped and I got to test my quilt out, the hard way!! Yep, it's really rated at 40. I slept chilly but not cold.
    4. always pack a tarp. No rain expected, pack a small tarp, you just never know.
    5. Always pack your quilts so that they will stay dry!!!
    6. Keep your food away from your hammock!
    7. Keep you backpack sealed up, your shoes hung up, your netting closed/sealed when you are camping in the south!! Spiders will get into those things while you sleep!! I woke up one morning with a huge wolf spider sitting on my pillow, just in front of my eyes when I opened them!!!
    8. storms expected, don't pick the tallest trees to hang around.
    9. don't pack your wet tarp with your hammock!!
    10. don't make fun of the people in tents!! Especially when it's pouring rain and they've put their ground tarp way out from the edge of their tent and it's funneling the rain right under their tent!!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    You can really set it up in 30 seconds? Do you leave your underquilt permanently attached while hiking? Any pics or video of the procedure. I use two separate stuff sacks...one for the hammock and tarp and one for the underquilt. Do you pack the hammock/underquilt in one end of the sack and the tarp in the other end? Thirty second is pretty remarkable....even a minute.

Miguel
    Hammock, OQ & UQ are packed together in a 2 ended stuff sack (a stuff sack with draw strings at each end.) with the UQ "Permanently" attached &: Yes, if I take my time it takes 30 seconds to hang my hammock once I have chosen my site. If I hurry, it takes about 2 minutes, sometimes longer.
    My suspenson is: Dynema ridgeline to ring buckles, 1.25" wide webbing with climbers carabiners at the far end & the near end threaded through the ringbuckles. I leave the webbing attached to the ring buckles all the time.
    To set up: I reach around tree #1 with a biner, click back on the webbing, open the large end of the stuff sack & walk away from tree #1, reach around tree #2 & click. Pull on the tail end of the webbing to adjust about 1/2 of what I need, walk to the other end of the hammock & adjust the rest of the way tight.

My tarp takes about 2 minutes or so to set up. I use figure 9s to speed up the fastening time, and all of my guy lines are pre-attached. I can set it up faster if properly motivated, like as when a really big T-Storm is comming my way, but usually taking my time is faster than when I hurry.

"The hurrieder I go the behinder I get!"
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Double ended stuff sack

That's awesome. I'm definitely going to start doing this. I don't suppose anyone knows a source for lightweight double ended stuff sacks?

Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Doctari: Double ended stuff sack instead of snake skins, you bet! I use one for my clothing as well. Day wear goes in one end and night wear goes in the other. Makes finding stuff easier.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    That's awesome. I'm definitely going to start doing this. I don't suppose anyone knows a source for lightweight double ended stuff sacks?
    like you even have to ask...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Words of wisdom (aka don't do what I did)
    If you are setting up on a tight area that limits your tarp, at least make sure the tarp covers the footbox. I didn't and when it started raining, the rain came off the tarp into my footbox and made a nice pool under my butt.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Live and learn ..... thank you for that. always a good reminder when in that situation....
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Here's a tip... how to make a VCCB.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Here's a tip... how to make a VCCB.

Did you mean to say, snot balls?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast