DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    I had the chance to both meet PapaSmurf and check out the new hammock. Both of which are top notch. Missy Lou made the mistake of trying out the new Thunderbird and it's on her list of must have hammocks. Its getting expensive going to these hangs, I walked away with a Darien UL in my quest to be sub 10# for spring summer and fall pack weight. I'm sure it won't be long before we add a Thunderbird to the fleet of hammocks as well...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    When I ordered a Darien UL awhile back, I inquired about removable tie outs. Apparently Papa Smurf had already been testing the pack hook idea, and I had him add those to the Darien UL. They worked great for being able to dial in the tie outs...I only used the one on the head end/side to help pull away the bug netting further from my face. Being able to pick and choose which tie outs to use and/or remove them completely was awesome. I'm glad to see this idea be incorporated into one of his hammock models!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

ThunderBird available

I finished the changes on the website and the ThunderBird hammock is now available to order.
    Several existing DangerBird orders have been upgraded to the ThunderBird, so keep an eye out for them as they are built and shipped.

Here's the ThunderBird web page. http://www.dream-hammock.com/ThunderBird.html
    Still lacking photos, but those will come when we get the chance to leave the workshop again.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL,WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I just read the description and as I understand it you can only have the cover or the netting attached to the hammock at any given time not both like the Danger bird.
    Is this right?
    So both attach at the feet and zip up toward the head..
    Where the Danger bird has one on each end.

"The ThunderBird has a dedicated head and foot end. To use the netting or overcover, you simply attach one or the other to the ends of the dual seperating zippers located at the foot end on the hammock."

Living and camping in the south I doubt I will ever have a use for the overcover but If I due want to carry with me how would it store?
    At the head end?
    Then to use it would I remove it from the hammock and move it to the foot end to attach it?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hey Randy. I have a question about the zipper system. Are there two zipper pulls on each zipper so that it can be zipped or unzipped in either direction or does it need to be zipped all the way to one end like the Dangerbird? I like to have my zipper right next to my shoulder when I'm sleeping. Hope this was clear.

Miguel

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by CLANKBANG View Post
    ....you can only have the cover or the netting attached to the hammock at any given time not both like the Danger bird.
    Exactly right. Either zip on the net or zip on the overcover.

Quote Originally Posted by CLANKBANG View Post
    I doubt I will ever have a use for the overcover but If I due want to carry with me how would it store?
    The peak bags are removeable and clip on to a small shock cord loop at the head end or foot end. I'd clip on the one you're most likely to use on the foot end and the other one on the head end. For temporary storage (while you're out hanging), you can use the peak bag to stuff the net or cover into and keep it out of your way without completely removing the zippers. For longer term storage or to leave one at home, just unclip the whole peak bag and throw it on your gear shelf.

In your case, I'd have the net peak bag hanging in the foot end where it's handy and optionally have the overcover hanging in the head end, just in case you need it. When you do need the overcover, just switch the bags so that the overcover is hanging at the foot.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Are there two zipper pulls on each zipper so that it can be zipped or unzipped in either direction or does it need to be zipped all the way to one end like the Dangerbird?
    There is only one zipper slider on each side of the hammock. To zip completely up, you must reach up to the head end of the hammock.

Not to confuse things, but this zipper configuration has one slider attached to the hammock body, one on the netting, and one on the overcover. This reduces the weight because when you leave one of the covers at home, you're also leaving a zipper slider at home too.

There are zipper pulls with reflective cord installed on all interior zipper tabs, but the exterior tabs are without pulls. This gives you better access to the zippers from the inside where it counts without the weight and expense of pulls on the outside where you can easily reach the zippers.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    PapaSmurf:

How about a little tech talk on this. You are using #5 zippers, associated (in my limited experience) with Clark hammocks. And with that association, ""heavy. Of course, the larger the (quality zipper), the less delicate, more durable, or at least less likely to fail in the field.

So, did you decide on #5 zippers, where another maker uses the lighter #3 zipper, from feedback from the field, maybe your expedition-company connection?

And are these zippers YKK?

PS: Am I misreading the angle in the photo, or is the final angle for your (polyester) hammocks closer to 45 than to 30 degrees?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    PapaSmurf:

How about a little tech talk on this. You are using #5 zippers, associated (in my limited experience) with Clark hammocks. And with that association, ""heavy. Of course, the larger the (quality zipper), the less delicate, more durable, or at least less likely to fail in the field.

So, did you decide on #5 zippers, where another maker uses the lighter #3 zipper, from feedback from the field, maybe your expedition-company connection?

And are these zippers YKK?

PS: Am I misreading the angle in the photo, or is the final angle for your (polyester) hammocks closer to 45 than to 30 degrees?
    I use both #3 and #5 zippers for many of the hammocks I build depending on the particular situation. Sometimes, heavy hangers will ask for the #5 and it does indeed make for a more robust zipper. Most other times a lighter #3 coil fits the application just as well.

The zipper used in the ThunderBird is a #5 coil separating zipper custom manufactured here in the US. There are very few zipper manufacturers left in the US and this particular manufacturer does not offer a #3 size. It is not a YKK zipper.

That particular photo (by Yoda), was taken slightly toward the head end of the hammock. Probably because Lazy River Road (on the stool) was in his way. The hang angle in the photo is 30 degrees (or darn close). The distance between the uprights on that stand are 144" apart and the sliding collars were set exactly at 59.6" from the ground.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 05-02-2013 at 13:30.

Formerly Known as Sespe Drifter Jerven's Avatar
    Hammock
    Shelltowee Boone 20
    Tarp
    Need one
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    buckles&amp;straps
    PapaSmurf, would it be possible to post the specs or directions for the new hammock stands you built? Thanks Sean

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast