Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict

The Maine Hang 0.1 at Thomas Point Beach in Brunswick, ME

I've been camping for years and, like most campers, I've developed a list of favorite places. Many are tucked away near streams in ponds just out of sight of the main trails, but I enjoy some car camping as well.

Car camping is an exercise in relaxation, packing too much stuff, and enjoying friends and fun by the campfire. As much as I enjoy finding a secluded spot, there is much to be said about taking it easy with other folks in a pretty spot. Some places you return to, and others you smile about and think, "No... never again" – but then there are the ones that you come back to again and again.

For me, I keep finding my way back to Thomas Point Beach Campground in Brunswick, ME. Back in college, a friend invited me to a bluegrass festival held there at Labor Day, and I've spent every Labor Day weekend there since 1993, listening to the sound of banjo and fiddle echo back across the bay.

After the kids came along, we started camping during non-festival weekends – catching the nearby 'Moxie Fest' in July, or just lounging with friends and cousins. After my health started acting up a few years ago, I would go up by myself for those quiet retreats when I didn't feel up to hauling my pack into the mountains. In total, I think I may have spent seven months worth of nights staying on the property. I only spent nine months in my first condo. I hope to beat that time.

So... it is clear I love the place. But why?

Location – the site itself is a mix of tall pines and grassy fields with a good amount of frontage along the bay. Even deep in the trees, the breeze off the water is refreshing. The flat bay makes for impressive tides and a large intertidal zone makes for an interesting ecosystem to explore – and a somewhat protected area for paddling around the estruaries. The area is regularly frequented by great blue herons, graceful egrets, and the resident Osprey pair for a nice touch of coastal wildlife - if watching the local clamdiggers go about their paces isn't enough. Lots of shopping, biking, and pleasant car rides nearby.

Management – Over the decades, I've gotten to know the owners and have always found them honest, conscientious, and helpful. They're hammock-friendly as much as you are tree-friendly.

Facilities – This may be personal, but I like my camping to feel like camping. There is a small rec hall for the kids, but there is none of the water-park, arts and crafts, 'easter egg hunt every weekend' stuff you find at larger family campgrounds. In season, there are three bathroom buildings, one with hot showers, and a rec room for the kiddies to exile quarters in. Campsites are reasonably large, shaded, and level. Even when the campground is pretty full, there are always plenty of places to walk to for a little solitude.

After talking with a few other hammockers last Labor Day at the fest, we realized that it is just about a perfect setup for a group hang – but it would be better if we weren't limited to individual sites. After talking it over with the owners, we got clearance to give the event a go during pre-season at the campground.

Due to me being me, I was using the wrong contact info to reach them – and we got a confirmation about 8 days before the event. So we decided to go for it and call it a test of concept.

Just before sunset on Friday, we all began arriving. First, my son Henry, my friend Dennis and myself. Soon after, Jerry and his daughter Grethen. We were mostly unpacked and the fire started by the time Steve and Jen arrived, and Mark trusty VW pulled in last.

The weather was crisp and cool, but quite pleasant by the fire. So we pretty much stayed there until bedtime before hitting the hammocks, 'cepting Mark who was snoozing in a neat Nemo bivy sack/tent.

Saturday morning, we woke to a lovely sunrise and a yelp as Dennis discovers the 'dreaded calf ridge cramp'. We recover quickly to a breakfast of pancakes, egg sandwiches, and bacon. Lots of bacon.

With fully distended stomachs and an open agenda, we were ready to start lounging in earnest. Mark went off to do something called "werk" (spelling anyone?). Jen went off Kayaking, Jerry and his daughter explored the park and worked on temporary housing efforts for the recently displaced fairies of the fairy village. Henry savored the simple childhood joys of burning things and throwing acorns. Except for the shower building water heater being recalcitrent, all was going better than expected.

I had hoped to do a little bit of pickin', and we were lucky enough to have a day guest from the bluegrass group who lived down the road. Jim brought along his mandolin and we picked out a few. Even when I reduce the festival to TWO other musicians, I am still the weakest link. When I consider all the hours I've spent not practicing, it could have been worse.

After swing by Jim's house in the quest for beans, we returned to turkey burgers and some dutch oven chili. Fortunately, we were all camping outdoors.

As the evening settled in, we awaited moonrise around the fire. At one point, Steve's knee scooter (crutch alternative) was commandeered for timed loop trials around the park. Spent some time trying to trick a mostly automatic camera into taking a night pictures outside its standard modes - but after a 100 pics of moonrise, I have maybe 3-4 usable pics... depending on how much tweaking work I want to do with them.

Sunday, more breakfast, cleanup, and the traditional game of leftover-pancake frisbee. We left a couple of hammocks up by the water. After cleanup, we lounged and hour or so, and said goodbye until the next visit.

The conclusion – we have to do this again next year with more hammockers, ground-dwellers, more bacon, more musicians, more boats... and a lot more advanced notice.

Mark your calendars for the last weekend of April and we'll see you next year!

Some pics available here - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=36ae9627b4

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet BMJ
    Insulation
    Hammockgear Addict
    More pics HERE.

Did I mention it's a great location? Check out the pics and set aside the last weekend of April 2014.

For only having a smallish turnout, it should bring some good business to the cottage vendors. Poor Steve never used an underquilt/topquilt before... Dennis is leaning towards a Warbonnet XLC, while I'm looking at another cuben fiber hex tarp after seeing Jerry's rig. I got even with Jerry and let him try out the Hennessy and my WB Blackbird - asymmetric lay for the win.

Jen, who took the above photos, spent her first couple of nights in a hammock (BIAS Weight Weenie) - so our goal of uplifting our lowly ground-dwelling brethren was also fulfilled. Low temp of the weekend was 31°F in the dark hours of Sunday morning. If you can sleep through that, imagine how comfy it will be in warmer days.

Join the Hammock Revolution - the only revolution where the victors shall hang!

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Looks like great fun! Definitely plenty of spots to hang.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Excellent write up, and some amazing pictures. I would love to come out next year!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Images
    Good Job Russ! This was a really nice place to hang. It must be all the baby bumble bees that keep it so nice. We had good weather, learning, exploring, eating,shared stories and made new friends, and what a moon! I took my three year old daughter with me these memories made wont be forgotten. So many hammock trees , this place could easily host a huge hammock fest. Nice beach, local bike path, vintage playground, Fairy village, stump jump , places to explore and find wildlife. I was able to play along to a few bluegrass tunes on guitar. I went tarp-less the second night and enjoyed the star filled sky. Bacon

• + New Posts