not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    Suspension
    not sure yet

Red face New Hanger Several questions

My daughter and I are about to begin hanging when when hike instead of trying to keep the ground warm and I wanted to ask a couple of questions. So without further ado here we go:

1. I am 6'4" 260. I was planning on making a 1.9oz nylon end channel hammock that is 11' long but I found the MSB thread and it has peeked my interest and I would like to know how much length I could take off if I used one?

2. My daughter is 4'2" and skinny as a twig. I wanted to know If I should make her hanger with the 4 feet additional length like I will mine or at this height is shorter better. Also with her being so small should I make the hammock a bit more narrow than the standard 60"?

3. Will we need TQ/UQ for the spring and summer if we are located in the Athens, GA area and if so could you point me in the right direction as far as insulation types for these warmer temps?

Well I think that that is all I have at the moment. I am sure I will have more though. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'll tackle question #2.

Your daughter is best served by a smaller hammock to match her stature. I'd say a 9' hammock, at most. You can go proportionally narrower to save weight but that's optional.

Best wishes.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    Suspension
    not sure yet

thanks Knotty

Thanks for the rapid reply Knotty, that is what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure. BTW I am going to be making my hammock using your stretch side mod. I can not wait to hang in the yard a check these things out.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    WELCOME! from southern VA.

My daughter is my hangin buddy also. He loves my 11' dbl-layer, but usually ends up in my 10' sngl-layer DIY when we're out.

Hammocks do a great job of cooling you off in hot weather due to the airflow underneath. However, this same effect means you'll need some insulation when you wouldn't normally think so.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    welcome, from another one in loganville i am 5'2" and i like larger hammocks, but my eno has served me well for 12+ yrs...
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    Suspension
    not sure yet

thanks

Thank you for the awsome replies so far everyone. Can anyone help out on the msb and insulation questions.

Peanuts what type of insulation do you normally use for the everything but winter hanging around here and could you recommend and places to go that don't have to much extreme elevation changes.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    cpl charlie, when i out to the woods, i tend to do it in late fall and winter(yankee). on the rear occasion i have gone out in warm/hot weather, i will use a first gen peapod(synthetic) hung loose in the hammock. if really hot and humind a blanket is fine for me. i sleep warm/hot.

when you ask around here, do you mean around loganville??? if that is so, i can not help there. now if you are looking for the general ga area without much elevation change, you have:

pine mountain( home of the little white house)
    panther creek trail
    chatooga trail

others are free to chime in here please...senior memory here
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock, WBBB 1.1 DL and DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly & Tadpole
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Strap
    First, welcome to the hammock forums. In response to your questions.

1. I don't have any experence on a MSB on a gathered end hammock. But, my suggestion is start our with an 11 footer. Once you spend a little bit of time in it, you can always trim it down if you want it shorter. If you go the MSB route, I'm guessing that any weight savings by trimming down the length would be off-set by the weight of a MSB.

2. For my kids, my 12 (about 5' 1" tall) year old has a Hennessy Scout which is about 8.5' x 4'. He also has a 9' gathered end DIY. Personally, he likes the full 60" width of his DIY because he folds the excess over himself.

3. Im here in Georgia. For three-season camping, a blue walmart pad wil be all you need for bottom insulation. Duing the early spring and late fall, a 20 degree sleeping bag will serve you well. During the summer/late spring/early fall, you won't need a lot of top insulation. I tend to use a 40 degree top quilt/bag.

I took my scout troop camping several times this past winter (Raven Cliff Falls, Brass Town Bald, etc.). I had a 20 degree Yeti underquilt and a 20 degree overstuffed top quilt. I layered up my clothes a bit and I was warm and toasty.

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    For insulation, if you plan to do DIY, you could do the pad route (or even try Reflectix, which I plan do for temps down to 60 this year as something new) or an underquilt made with APEX which is a synthetic insulation.

Apex comes in varying degrees of thickness, the thicker the warmer. I am no expert on CLO values and guesstimating temp ratings...but a UQ with 2.5 oz APEX (sandwiched between 1.1 oz ripstop) may do the trick. If it is too warm you can vent the ends to get some air flow.

If you search the forum (DIY section) for APEX you should be able to find more specific insulation. I went the APEX route as I am not brave enough to deal with down yet...and APEX is less expensive, plus the other perks synthetic insulation provides.

As for top insulation, sounds like a fleece blanket may work...or if nothing else a sleeping bag mostly unzipped until you get an idea of what you may need in terms of ambient temps.

Now if you want to buy...I would recommend Wilderness Logics, he has both UQs and TQs made with down and he is "good people" to deal with. Not to say the other cottage vendors are not, but I have had great experience with him (Marty) and will go back to him first for that reason.

Hammock
    not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    Suspension
    not sure yet
    thanks for all of the awsome replies especially about the insulation because I want to make sure my daughter is completely comfortable. I think I will make her an apex uq and a fleece tq with a 1.1 shell. I am not to worried about my self seeing as how I sleep very warm and have plenty of experience with much worse weather than Georgia can throw at me from my time in the Marines. As far as the msb I was going to go this rout for myself because of what I had read on it reducing the calf ridge.

I hope that by this fall I will be ready to go cold by myself. I prefer to do things DIY because I enjoy making things. I have order supplies from DIY gear supply already and I was very pleased with the service I received.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast