DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    For CLO ratings associated with synthetic insulation, the following formula is how it's calculated: 84 - (CLO rating * mass of insulation in oz/sq yd * 14). This assumes no base layer. If you're going to wear a base layer to bed, the equation changes to 70 - (CLO rating * mass of insulation * 14). The result is in degrees F, and it assumes perfect fit, no humidity issues, no wind, and the theoretical "average" sleeper.

I'm going to assume your daughter and you are going to wear something to bed (most folks do). So, the rating for a 2.5 oz/sq yd Climashield APEX quilt would be: 70 - (0.82 * 2.5 * 14) = 70 - (2.05 * 14) = 70 - 28.7 = 41.3* F. (I pulled the CLO rating from the Thru-Hiker website.)

So, roughly 41 F would be the rating assuming perfect conditions. I'd eyeball that as a ~45* F rating for most folks' comfort while sleeping, since perfect conditions don't usually exist outside of a lab. Me, I'd be willing to push that down to freezing-ish, but I'm a nearly-inhumanly warm sleeper.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Tree Strap w/ Beet

New Hanger Several questions

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    welcome, from another one in loganville i am 5'2" and i like larger hammocks, but my eno has served me well for 12+ yrs...
    Peanuts, what areas do u hike? And what types of TQ and UQ do u use for are area of climate?

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    you may want to look into Poncho Liner under quilts. Cheap and plenty warm and still very breathable for us southerners in the humid summer months. I use one for my summer UQ and absolutely love the thing...but I'm a hot sleeper.

here is the DIY no sew version: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=11777

for my top quilt I usually use a 1-2 season down sleeping bag or a fleece throw...but I've been considering a silk bag liner or just a cotton sheet- again I'm a hot sleeper.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    Suspension
    not sure yet

Thank you

Thanks everyone for all of the awesome feed back. Many of these answers helped me make my final decision on a couple of these questions. And others created even more questions that I am finding answers to in the forums.

I hope to hang at the Burrells Ford Campground area on the Chattooga river in the next couple of weeks. Got any advice on which trails would be good for us Peanuts? I would like to do a 2 or 3 day one or 2 nights for this first trip and maybe hike between 5 and 7 miles a day so that we can spend a lot of time enjoying the scenery.

In early June the family will be going to Florida and I was thinking of possibly doing beach hang depending on the weather and maybe an overnighter while we are there.

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Charlie View Post
    My daughter and I are about to begin hanging when when hike instead of trying to keep the ground warm and I wanted to ask a couple of questions. So without further ado here we go:

1. I am 6'4" 260. I was planning on making a 1.9oz nylon end channel hammock that is 11' long but I found the MSB thread and it has peeked my interest and I would like to know how much length I could take off if I used one?
    As nobody has addressed the MSB question, I'll take it on. At your size, you don't want to take anything off the length of your hammock. You'll already be taking off approx. 6" on each end for a channel, so don't skimp on the length anymore. With 6" MSBs that are 5" between holes, you will be excessively comfortable. I would also think about a DIY bug net if you're going the MSB way. Most commercial bug nets have some difficulty with the MSB. It can be done.

I got my daughter hammock camping last year and now she loves it. I am sure your experience will be the same. Good luck and enjoy the trees.

Hammock
    not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    Suspension
    not sure yet
    Thanks Alrainy187. I wasn't planning on cutting down the length anymore. I was going to use the msb to make the hammock feel longer. I think everything that I am going to use i DIY including the bug net. I just like to make things myself so I can make it how I want it not how some one else likes it.

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Charlie View Post
    Thanks Alrainy187. I wasn't planning on cutting down the length anymore. I was going to use the msb to make the hammock feel longer. I think everything that I am going to use i DIY including the bug net. I just like to make things myself so I can make it how I want it not how some one else likes it.
    If I was making a bug net to fit a msbs, I think I would go with the TED net.

And yes, the msbs will make the hammock feel longer. I have outfitted 4 hammocks with MSBs and they all achieved improved comfort. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12