Beach camping in mid atlantic region

I am scoutmaster of a troop here in NJ and have been using my hammock on all of our camping trips for a little over a year. About a dozen weekend trips and one week long trip. A bunch of the boys have shown interest and at our planning meeting they asked if we can do a hammock trip at a beach area where we can also do water activities (kayaking, canoeing, etc.). I have searched a bit and cannot seem to come up with anything in the mid-atlantic area, say 2 hours driving distance from central NJ.
    Island Beach State Park does not allow camping, and Sandy Hook only allows freestanding hammock stands (no attachment to trees).
    Any ideas out there?

Assatague Island in MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Elk Neck State Park here in Maryland. Right at the head of the Chesapeake with the Elk river on one side , North East river on the other and the bay at the point. Hammock friendly, beach, plenty of trails , awesome bluffs and views from the lighthouse. Its only a few miles down the beach from Camp Rodney Scout Reservation as well. Awesome place to hang and plenty for scouts to do.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I second Chesapeake. He and I went to Elk Neck park and it was great. I just got back from a trip out to Assateague and I had to use my hammock stand there. There aren't many trees and I do not think that either park allows hanging from them.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kale Kale View Post
    I second Chesapeake. He and I went to Elk Neck park and it was great. I just got back from a trip out to Assateague and I had to use my hammock stand there. There aren't many trees and I do not think that either park allows hanging from them.
    Yeah, we had a good time.... Well other than picking the single hottest AND most humid day of the year anyway lol. But it eventually cooled off enough to be comfortable. Plenty of trees to hang from too. Do you remember what site number or loop we were on? I do remember it be right in front of the bath house , so that was convenient . Oh, and your more both more than welcome to come to the Mason Dixon Trail clean up hike/hang that I set up for Sept. 30 if your free and wanna help out. Check the post in this sub forum if your interested or shoot me a pm. Should be a lot of fun, easy hike to do any needed trail maintenance and then back to my place to hang on the beach and chill by the bonfire on a cool late September night. Not a huge group thing, but proly end up being 5-10 of us I'd say....
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    When I camp at Sandy Hook, I pick a site with the little gazebo/pavilion thing. If you hang your hammocks at slight angles, you can hang at least 3 and maybe 4 hammocks from them.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Thanks for these ideas. I forgot about Elk Neck, we camped at Rodney this summer and some of the boys did a hike through there. That's perfect

Quote Originally Posted by jvheitz View Post
    Thanks for these ideas. I forgot about Elk Neck, we camped at Rodney this summer and some of the boys did a hike through there. That's perfect
    All the best! Don't forget to take all of the necessary things before making your tent.
    <!!>Best Splitting Axe for Chopping Wood in 2017<!!>Best Carpenter’s Axe for 2017<!!>

• + New Posts