WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Goshen Pond sites are better for tent camping, BUT....group sites B and even better, group site C is really good for hammocks. Probably up to 6-10 hammocks in site C. Privy access is close by and a water pump is available.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Bumping this back to the top, for more recent intel:

Plenty of info on Batona, Lower Forge, Mullica.

Seems like Goshen is not ideal, based on info in this thread.

Since there have been some recent outings at Bodine, Hawkins, etc. - any info on those sites, for both smaller and group sites?
    In post #73, I have a couple of videos of the group sites at Hawkins.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    In post #73, I have a couple of videos of the group sites at Hawkins.
    Right. So Hawkins group site A you could probably get a crowd hanging, not so much with the other sites.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Right. So Hawkins group site A you could probably get a crowd hanging, not so much with the other sites.
    None of the individual sites looked very appealing. I'd say site A is cream of the crop.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Goshen Pond
    Group Site C - good for hammock camping, 15+ hammocks
    Site 16 - 2 hammocks, ok site
    Site 15 - 2 hammocks, hang close to dirt access road
    Group Site B can handle some hammocks
    Compost toilets, well pump

Bodine
    Group Site E - used to be a non group site and a few trees were cut down, not so great now but near water
    Site 13 handles several hammocks but is between 2 group sites
    Site 11 is on the water
    Sites 1,2,3,4,5,6 - offer a nice hanging area

Hawkins Bridge
    all the group sites are wide open, few trees and generally not good for hanging with the exception of Group Site D iirc

Group Site D has a grove of pine trees between the fire pit and the smaller sites near the road.
    Many of the small sites can handle a hammock or two.

Can do a little scouting.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Bodine Field and Hawkins Bridge

Update after a little scouting yesterday.

Bodine:

The side of the camp with group sites A, B, and sites 1-8 are, is the place to look.

Group site A is useless. Group site B has a place for a couple hammocks (maybe 3?), and plenty of room for communal gathering, but you'd need other sites to cover a group.

Sites 1-6 all offer some good options. Ideally you could grab group site B and site 1 and 2, and house a decent group.

Group side C and D both offer some hanging options. C has less, but is a cool spot in the corner. D has some good options, but it's RIGHT on the road in the corner where the main road bends goes through. No shelter or privacy at all.

The rest of the camp has options at various sites, didn't survey them all. The large group site(s) in the middle of the camp are basically an open field with fire rings. There was a larger group with a bunch of tents all spread out across that area (8-10 tents, possibly scouts) - perfect for that use, but for hammocks: Pass.
    bodine-wsf.jpg
    Hawkins:

Group sites C & D, as well as sites 1,2, and 3 are all pretty solid. The group sites don't technically have much right in the clearly assumed site (around the fire ring in a 50' diameter), but if you look towards the direction of sites 1/2/3, there's a huge expanse of oaks with plenty of room for a lot of hammocks.

Same goes for sites 1-3. They have more options directly at the sites, with room for a few hammocks at each, but if you look back towards the group sites (C & D), there's plenty of trees to choose from. All depends on how you define the site limits, and I suppose whether a ranger cared to argue the point. And whether or not you had neighbors at any of the above mentioned sites.

The area between C/D and 1/2/3 is circled in red below:

Hawkins.png
    There were people over at sites 4-9 (on a separate little loop), so I didn't go nosing around there. I'll save that for another trip.
    Last edited by silentorpheus; 09-10-2017 at 11:41.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Update after a little scouting yesterday.

Bodine:

The side of the camp with group sites A, B, and sites 1-8 are, is the place to look.

Group site A is useless. Group site B has a place for a couple hammocks (maybe 3?), and plenty of room for communal gathering, but you'd need other sites to cover a group.

Sites 1-6 all offer some good options. Ideally you could grab group site B and site 1 and 2, and house a decent group.

Group side C and D both offer some hanging options. C has less, but is a cool spot in the corner. D has some good options, but it's RIGHT on the road in the corner where the main road bends goes through. No shelter or privacy at all.

The rest of the camp has options at various sites, didn't survey them all. The large group site(s) in the middle of the camp are basically an open field with fire rings. There was a larger group with a bunch of tents all spread out across that area (8-10 tents, possibly scouts) - perfect for that use, but for hammocks: Pass.
    bodine-wsf.jpg
    Hawkins:

Group sites C & D, as well as sites 1,2, and 3 are all pretty solid. The group sites don't technically have much right in the clearly assumed site (around the fire ring in a 50' diameter), but if you look towards the direction of sites 1/2/3, there's a huge expanse of oaks with plenty of room for a lot of hammocks.

Same goes for sites 1-3. They have more options directly at the sites, with room for a few hammocks at each, but if you look back towards the group sites (C & D), there's plenty of trees to choose from. All depends on how you define the site limits, and I suppose whether a ranger cared to argue the point. And whether or not you had neighbors at any of the above mentioned sites.

The area between C/D and 1/2/3 is circled in red below:

Hawkins.png
    There were people over at sites 4-9 (on a separate little loop), so I didn't go nosing around there. I'll save that for another trip.
    Yeah Hawkins C,D are awesome! WE hung there last fall. Good spot.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011