Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

Tarp Stakes

Haven't seen anything on this recently so here goes.

I've been using the standard MSR groundhogs forever and I'll preface my next statement with total recognition that I am being a gram weenie. If I sub out my 4 msr stakes for titanium shepherd hooks I'll save about 1.2 ounces. (msr is about .5 ounces per stake). Just curious if anyone has had any problems with the change to shepherd hooks? I am pretty much always in the southern Appalachians so soil conditions are usually basic dirt, not much sand and not a ton of clay.

If it helps I carry a standard HG Cuben tarp with doors.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    I only use Ti shepards hooks and I've never had a problem. There are times when they struggle to hold in real loose soil, but I just drop a rock or stick on them and they're fine. YMMV

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    I only use Ti shepards hooks and I've never had a problem. There are times when they struggle to hold in real loose soil, but I just drop a rock or stick on them and they're fine. YMMV
    Same, but I did just pick up some MSR Groundhog-like stakes for when it's really loose. Also, I needed more stakes.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    Yeah, I think I'm going to pick up some mini groundhogs. Not because the shepards hooks aren't filling my needs, more out of wanting to experiment.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I use both on the northeast coast. Wet or sandy soil is more difficult for the Ti shepherd hooks but usually dealt with by putting a rock on it. I have small and large hooks so that's an additional consideration. The only annoyance with the hooks is there isn't a cord attached to help yank them out of the ground. I've also had the hooks swivel around when under tension. The solution was to drive them further into the ground so the other side of the hook was in the dirt. I too have been seduced by the gram savings but I still use both and haven't ever had a serious problem with either. I've also powder coated the tops of the hooks orange so they are easy to see. Drop one of these titanium babies in the dirt and they vanish.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    I use both on the northeast coast. Wet or sandy soil is more difficult for the Ti shepherd hooks but usually dealt with by putting a rock on it. I have small and large hooks so that's an additional consideration. The only annoyance with the hooks is there isn't a cord attached to help yank them out of the ground. I've also had the hooks swivel around when under tension. The solution was to drive them further into the ground so the other side of the hook was in the dirt. I too have been seduced by the gram savings but I still use both and haven't ever had a serious problem with either. I've also powder coated the tops of the hooks orange so they are easy to see. Drop one of these titanium babies in the dirt and they vanish.
    Would it work to just leave your guy lines attached to the stake rather than your tarp?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I like Lawson Ti shepherd hooks.

The way they're radiused at the top puts the apex of the hook in line with the main shaft, which makes them drive in better with a small rock. I've used the regular ones for a long time, since before the "HD" ones were around, but I've ordered some of those to try out.

Of course they don't work in soft duff or soil, as some have pointed out. So if I'm lucky enough to encounter such soil—which doesn't happen all that frequently here in the NE, at least where I hike—I will break some sticks and use those instead. Or rocks if it's, ummm, rocky.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Not gonna save you grams but, I really like my "staples" from Dream Hammock. Twice the hold as a shepard's hook.

https://www.dreamhammock.com/shop.ht...tegory=4019214

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosef View Post
    Would it work to just leave your guy lines attached to the stake rather than your tarp?
    Yes, you could do that. I prefer to have the guy lines attached to the tarp instead. They are configured to slip over any stake and are adjustable. No real reason -- I just did it that way and haven't felt the need to change it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I like Lawson Ti shepherd hooks.

The way they're radiused at the top puts the apex of the hook in line with the main shaft, which makes them drive in better with a small rock. I've used the regular ones for a long time, since before the "HD" ones were around, but I've ordered some of those to try out.
    I use the UL ones myself since I'm trying to go UL and they work fine but you do need to make sure any force is inline with the stake or you can bend them. Ask me how I know. Normally I don't need to use a rock, I just stick them in the ground and use my foot to drive them the last few inches if the ground is hard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast