Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Superfly vs others

I recently ordered two Superflys. I looked at others such as the Winter Dream, Winter Palace, etc. Once I started with the add ons they were nearly $100 more than the Superfly. Nice tarps I'm sure and very popular but are they worth the extra bucks vs. the Superfly? It seems to me that the stock Superfly offers more than the stock version of the others for the money. Am I missing something?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    The Superfly is an exceptional value; it is also an extremely effective and practical tarp for many hammock campers. The chief trade-off with the Superfly is simply that there aren't that many options; like most Warbonnet products, it leans a bit toward a "my way or the highway" approach -- which is not necessarily a bad thing because virtually everything Warbonnet puts out is eminently functional, well thought out, and well tested. That said, there are very few absolutes in hammock camping and even fewer one-size-fits-all solutions in gear, so there are many hammock campers who want different fabrics, different colors, different dimensions, and/or different features than a Superfly affords; that's where some of the other wonderful cottage vendor custom tarps come in. The options can sometimes make the total weather protection package more expensive, but to some the end result is worth it.

If I could get a Superfly in Multicam (to match my discontinued XLC), I would order two tomorrow...

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-31-2018 at 20:29.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    You just basically mentioned why the Superfly seems to be a favorite for the first time tarp buyer, myself included. It’s basically a four season tarp at an incredible value. It’s not the lightest, but there are heavier options out there. It’s a little big for fair weather camping, but the door adjustability still allows fo good airflow. And finally it has all the features for a basic winter tarp.

I know I’ll eventually get a smaller tarp for summer or 3-season use, but for an all-around tarp that doesn’t break the bank, the Superfly checks pretty much all of the boxes.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think the Superfly is a great 4-season tarp. If you want more than the Superfly, you're going to take on extra weight or pay extra money. With that said, I love my HG Winter Palace cuben fiber tarp. It's basically the same size as the Superfly, but is less than half the weight. If you've got $415 to spare, it's worth it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I am getting ready to head out into a storm for a night's sleep under Superfly's highfalutin cousin.

The HG CF Winter Palace. I think I paid $330 used here on the HF.

IMG_0702.jpg

What options are you referring to?

The SF offers the most value for sure. I almost went with the SF but wanted a huge tarp for my first go at hammock camping. So I got a SLD Winter Haven...Did you mean Winter Haven when you said Winter Palace?
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSnat View Post
    I recently ordered two Superflys. I looked at others such as the Winter Dream, Winter Palace, etc. Once I started with the add ons they were nearly $100 more than the Superfly. Nice tarps I'm sure and very popular but are they worth the extra bucks vs. the Superfly? It seems to me that the stock Superfly offers more than the stock version of the others for the money. Am I missing something?
    Love my Superfly awesome for the money
    What's even better is interior pole mods
    Now I moved to a wide winter Haven for stormy trips (non hiking)

My buddy just got the bug after years of prodding. He got himself into a warbonnet setup for all reasons mentioned.

By his 3rd time setting his whole deal up he was getting pretty good, even doing some tarp origami.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    The superfly remains an outstanding value. I wish I had bought one instead of my mac cat ultra. I ended up spending more money on the mac cat to add 2qzq doors and pole mods. That said, the quality of the 2qzq doors is crazy good, and is very feature rich, and a few ounces lighter than the stock SF. Also I waited Eons to get my Mac Cat ultra. I was a noob just getting into the cottage gear at that time transitioning from being a customer of mass market REI gear made in GChina ;>)

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've wondered the same thing... don't think we're missing anything.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    Too hot in FL
    Suspension
    DIY dyneema D.C.
    For me, the superfly is outstanding. I just got mine a couple weeks ago and installed the “side buckle release” door mod, and I absolutely love it. The quality and function for the money is just phenomenal for me. It makes me happy every time I’m underneath it. I’m getting the poles soon and I’m sure I’ll just love it that much more.

I will probably get one of the HG tarps next, but if anything ever happened to my SF I would undoubtedly buy a new one immediately. I don’t do much winter camping here in FL, but we’ve had solid rain for almost an entire week and I’ve tested it thoroughly, not so much as a drop has made it through and it handles wind very well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast