Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I have a 1.1 DL BB and I am very comfortable in it. The lay is very flat and I don't notice any sagging or stretching that makes it uncomfortable for me. I am 170 lbs however. After talking to Brandon, he suggested it since at the time, I did not know whether I would be using padding or not. I ended up using UQs and/or a pad in my hammock so it is no longer an issue. Poly is known for not being stretchy so will lay flatter but whether there is a noticeable difference between a single layer of 2.2 or 2.3 and a double layer of 1.1, I would not know. I am still considering whether to go with a 1.8 oz nylon taffeta or the 2.3 poly/nylon blend.. at 170 lbs, would I really notice a difference when one is rated at 250 lbs and the poly at 265... I would save 3.5 oz. The poly is supposed to be more hydrophobic and moisture wicking, the same as with clothing, which is intriguing when it comes to condensation but if you have an UQ underneath, I am not sure if that is a good thing.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I had the tafetta hammock and it was very comfortable, but I prefer the 1.0 or 1.1 nylon for lighter weight. I think the tafetta is warmer, which makes it nice in winter. I just did not like the weight of the tafetta. That is just my $.02, for what it is worth.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    I had the tafetta hammock and it was very comfortable, but I prefer the 1.0 or 1.1 nylon for lighter weight. I think the tafetta is warmer, which makes it nice in winter. I just did not like the weight of the tafetta. That is just my $.02, for what it is worth.
    Did you experience much difference in comfort/sag? How much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking..
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    First off, I am a woman and cannot divulge my weight. However, I read you posts above and at 170 you are good for 1.0 and 1.1. I prefer a double layer in case I need to use a pad so a 1.0 or 1.1 is definitely okay. Preferring a double layer is another reason I didn't want tafetta, because it was too heavy.
    I do have the tafetta tablecloths made into hammocks, which are great for the backyard or car camping. I just have a bunch of hammocks, so the tafetta ones don't get used much.

Also, to answer your question, I did not experience much sag at all.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    First off, I am a woman and cannot divulge my weight. However, I read you posts above and at 170 you are good for 1.0 and 1.1. I prefer a double layer in case I need to use a pad so a 1.0 or 1.1 is definitely okay. Preferring a double layer is another reason I didn't want tafetta, because it was too heavy.
    I do have the tafetta tablecloths made into hammocks, which are great for the backyard or car camping. I just have a bunch of hammocks, so the tafetta ones don't get used much.

Also, to answer your question, I did not experience much sag at all.
    Apologies.. I did not know your gender or would not have asked the question.. I had the opportunity to try the Thunderbird with 2.3 poly/nylon and the Darien UL with SL 1.0 nylon. The double layer does reduce stretch. The UL was much softer and "closed up around you" much more than the TB which was flatter and a more open lay. I guess I am looking for a compromise somewhere in there, maybe with PapaSmurf's 1.8 nylon taffeta.
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    No worries about asking my weight. I really like the night grid camo, just not the 1.8 weight. I got the 1.0 coyote for the inside layer of my ThunderBird, looks very nice. I also got the coyote for the top cover.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Not to butt in, but I did want to share one thing.
    The photos at the bottom of this page http://www.dream-hammock.com/Darien.html show me (260lbs at that time) laying in a single layer 1.8oz High Count, Olive Taffeta. (same specs as the Night Grid) This is likely lighter than I would use because it was more stretchy than I like, but it does illustrate the lay I was able to get with this fabric. A slightly lighter person would get along great with it.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Not to butt in, but I did want to share one thing.
    The photos at the bottom of this page http://www.dream-hammock.com/Darien.html show me (260lbs at that time) laying in a single layer 1.8oz High Count, Olive Taffeta. (same specs as the Night Grid) This is likely lighter than I would use because it was more stretchy than I like, but it does illustrate the lay I was able to get with this fabric. A slightly lighter person would get along great with it.
    Do you think I would notice a significant difference in the lay/stretch between the 2.3 poly/nylon and the 1.8 taffeta at 170 lbs?
    John aka Suede

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Space4DaPoppa View Post
    Do you think I would notice a significant difference in the lay/stretch between the 2.3 poly/nylon and the 1.8 taffeta at 170 lbs?
    Tough question.
    Does increasing the fabric weight well above the max comfort rating mean a more supportive, flatter lay?
    I would think so, but it's so subjective that I'm not sure we could ever measure it.

I think the reason I see so much difference is that I'm hovering around the reasonable max comfort weight of 1.8oz & 2.3oz.

Maybe you would also notice this same big difference if you compared a 1.1oz, 1.5oz & 1.9oz.
    Is anything heavier wasted capacity? I don't really know.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Tough question.
    Does increasing the fabric weight well above the max comfort rating mean a more supportive, flatter lay?
    I would think so, but it's so subjective that I'm not sure we could ever measure it.
    As I've applauded in another thread on another maker's hammocks -- the applause being for the well-chosen language by multiple HF members to describe aspects of comfort -- measurement isn't everything.

But, isn't it time, by now, to set up a camera and take views of the same person in hammocks of different weight or construction? I wasn't kidding when I wrote earlier in this thread: "I look forward to explicit description and photos of the same body in hammocks of the same size. [Did your butt really get so heavy and large, or is it just that hammock you are wearing?]".

Not your responsibility, Papa Smurf. You are providing a wide range of options, a degree of "consumer sovereignty", that must have some productivity costs, too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast