Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I use snakeskins (homemade, same size as HH #2) on my tarp. I never liked the idea of wrapping my hammock up with a potentially wet tarp, though. ... The only solutions I would consider truly viable would be a GOOD dripstring - compressed across the whole girth/width of the support - or a buckle/ring suspension which would eliminate the problem altogether...........Use your HH skins on your tarp and go a different route for hammock storage. My HH #2 skins were a bit too short for my BlackCat, but not by much. They'd probably fit one of Brian's tarps fine - mine is a bit longer.

Anyway. You did ask for opinions!
    And thanks to all for the many responses/opinions. SSkins on the tarp instead of the hammock? Interesting!

Images
    My 2 grams - I have python skins for my Hennessey Hammock and Nest Underquilt. I used them for the first time on a trip this past weekend and learned a few things. First, I liked that I could wrap the quilt inside of the hammock before skinning the whole thing, but did not like how tight the skins were to pull over the whole thing. Also, once skinned, the whole thing becomes very stiff and difficult to fold. Once I packed the skins, I did not like that I had lots of unused space in my pack because of the skins. Im working on gettin a Black Bishop sack that is large enough for my HH, Underquilt, and top quilt. The sack more easily conforms to the outline of my pack and IMO will work better for me. But, thats what I believe will work for me. Try lots of different things until you find what works for you! BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    My 2 grams - I have python skins for my Hennessey Hammock and Nest Underquilt. I used them for the first time on a trip this past weekend and learned a few things. First, I liked that I could wrap the quilt inside of the hammock before skinning the whole thing, but did not like how tight the skins were to pull over the whole thing. Also, once skinned, the whole thing becomes very stiff and difficult to fold. Once I packed the skins, I did not like that I had lots of unused space in my pack because of the skins. Im working on gettin a Black Bishop sack that is large enough for my HH, Underquilt, and top quilt. The sack more easily conforms to the outline of my pack and IMO will work better for me. But, thats what I believe will work for me. Try lots of different things until you find what works for you! BD
    if you make your self a larger snake skin to accomadate your hammock w/ quilt it wouldn't be so stiff .
    no maglight please
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    if you make your self a larger snake skin to accomadate your hammock w/ quilt it wouldn't be so stiff .
    no maglight please
    No maglites! While thats true, I still dont like all of the dead space that the skins create in my pack. Then again, maybe its just the way I pack my pack.. Maglite to self! BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    How do you handle sealing up the small hole on the bottom of the BB sack?
    I've got a design at this point that works well and isn't terribly involved to sew. It's not sealed per se, but neither is the drawstring end if you think about it. I would actually bet on water coming in at the drawstring before it comes in the hole - with my newest hole design, anyway.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The skins won't create extra space if they're big enough to let the underquilt poof a bit. Just like an almost-full stuff sack fits better in a pack than one stuff tightly.

Are skins worth it? Sure...if they fit your style. They're a great product. I've been using the BB sack for a while now and I like it. No need to seal the bottom hole, IMO - I use a pack liner anyway. But snakeskins aren't waterproof either so you don't really lose anything that way. I just think stuffing and packing the sack is easier than the skins. YMMV.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i love the way snake skins work on the hammock & especially on the tarp.
    but soon i will likely be trying out something more like BB's stuff sack.
    on the new versions of the storage end covers, i plan to have a draw string around the mouth, so the hammock, the other storage end cover, & probably the quilt & under quilt can be stuffed into one of the end covers & the mouth drawn shut just like a basic stuff sack.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12