tablecloth/homemade
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

TurtleDog stand for Big Boys

I was considering building a Turtledog stand for use on the occasional scouting trip, where we end up in large clearings with no trees. After reading most of the turtledog threads, I apparently did worse in physics, calculus, algebra and geometry than I thought (which was pretty bad)!
    Seriously, I was wondering what the general consensus is on how long the top rail should be? I have an ENO Doublenest that is 9'4" that I replaced the standard suspension with continuous loops and climbing carabiners. Given the changes, I don't think the overall length was altered much, if any.
    I would like to still be able to use my Profly tarp which measures 10'6", so I'm guessing my pole should be just a little longer than that.
    As the title implies I'm a big fella so please keep that in mind when making suggestions. I do remember all objects fall at the same speed but the larger ones leave a bigger impression!

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Well, most people seem to be satisfied with the 10'6" top rail that's been used. It's possible to attach your tarp over top of the stands themselves, but it might put the tarp too far away for good rain coverage.

Actually there hasn't been a great deal of discussion on tarp rigging, more on stand construction, although it comes up. Kind of seems so individual, with so many tarps out there, that individual fiddling and rigging is required.

Many use up to 14' or so to accommodate bigger tarps.

That wasn't much help, was it...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    tablecloth/homemade
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    sounds like it's time to start a new thread:
    Tarp rigging for TurtleDogs

Images
    Think a tarp rigging thread would be useful. For me at least.
    Because: I have a HH and their hex tarp and when trying to lengthen the pole to accommodate the tarp the bow produced was alarming.

Hammock
    tablecloth/homemade
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just started a new thread. Hopefully it'll produce some results!

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    I definitely bought two rails, and made one at least 13' if not 14'. I dont see how I could hang my hammocks any other way. With whoopie slings, etc, that is the best

Quote Originally Posted by satta-hanga View Post
    I was considering building a Turtledog stand for use on the occasional scouting trip, where we end up in large clearings with no trees. After reading most of the turtledog threads, I apparently did worse in physics, calculus, algebra and geometry than I thought (which was pretty bad)!
    Seriously, I was wondering what the general consensus is on how long the top rail should be? I have an ENO Doublenest that is 9'4" that I replaced the standard suspension with continuous loops and climbing carabiners. Given the changes, I don't think the overall length was altered much, if any.
    I would like to still be able to use my Profly tarp which measures 10'6", so I'm guessing my pole should be just a little longer than that.
    As the title implies I'm a big fella so please keep that in mind when making suggestions. I do remember all objects fall at the same speed but the larger ones leave a bigger impression!
    I am not the heaviest hanger out there, but come in around 240. I bought two chain-link fence top rails per stand, so that I can have variable lengths of top rail on my stands. My usual set up is about 14 ft. and is three piece. I have a lot of confidence in these rails and there has been no issue with excessive bending or breakage. A cardinal rule to follow to avoid excessive bowing, is to suspend your hammock at exactly the same point that the rail is suspended from the stand. The end cap suspension is trouble waiting to happen.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpback View Post
    Think a tarp rigging thread would be useful. For me at least.
    Because: I have a HH and their hex tarp and when trying to lengthen the pole to accommodate the tarp the bow produced was alarming.
    I suspect your attachment points needed refining. I have been using 16' ridgepoles for several years without excessive bowing problems.

Hammock
    Breyman scout 1.9 DL, WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 144 x 120 1.1
    Insulation
    PLUQ & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I first made mine the 10 1/2' but my 12' tarp was an issue so I made bought another top rail and made mine 13'. Now I'm happy all the day.
    "As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the Lord your God moves about in your camp..." Deuteronomy 23: 13,14

Heavier Duty TurtleDog Stand

I'm a big guy too. Satisfied with the stand I have built. Thought I would share.

Basics of my Heavier Duty TurtleDog Stand:

Legs are 2x4s Ripped in half lengthwise about 6.5' long.
    A large loop of 550 cord is connected about 10 inches up from the feet of each tripod to keep the legs from splaying.
    The cross beam is (2) 2x4s lagged together with lagging bolts.
    Beam currently set at 13' long.
    Each end of beam has a lagging bolt deeply set. With beam horizontal, the bolt sticks out horizontally. These bolts are the attachment point of the hammock suspension.
    The beam is hung from each tripod via steel quick-link and a nylon strap loop. The loops are positioned just short of each end of the beam. Once the beam is hung in the loop, there is very little tendency of lateral slip.

When week-end camping with my hammock and I don't have enough info about where I am going, I throw in the stand. It's a good plan B for one hammock camper in a group. It is of course bulky and heavy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast