Anyone use a Bivy in a standard net hammock?

I really like the Clark and Hennesy jungle hammocks, but alas, don't have either. Perhaps one day.

I do however, have a military issue MSS bivy sleep system, which is totally awesome. Ok, it's not ultralight, but you don't need to take it all. The bivy and patrol bag in it are light, and weathertight. Instead of just dropping it on the ground and sliding in, has anyone used a bivy in a standard open air hammock (non-jungle)?

Seems like it should work just fine. The bivy is plenty warm (with sleepingbag inside), and weather proof, so seems like it would be fine. Anyone try?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bristolview View Post
    I really like the Clark and Hennesy jungle hammocks, but alas, don't have either. Perhaps one day.

I do however, have a military issue MSS bivy sleep system, which is totally awesome. Ok, it's not ultralight, but you don't need to take it all. The bivy and patrol bag in it are light, and weathertight. Instead of just dropping it on the ground and sliding in, has anyone used a bivy in a standard open air hammock (non-jungle)?

Seems like it should work just fine. The bivy is plenty warm (with sleepingbag inside), and weather proof, so seems like it would be fine. Anyone try?
    I've got a lightweight bivy from my groundling days, and sure 'nuff I did try. The open is only at the top, and that made getting in and out while in the hammock a bit of a challenge. Except for that its a fine idea. Some bivies are a little more access friendly to begin with.

Grizz

Cool. I have the MSS army surplus bivy and while weather proof, I like hanging. I was thinking, take a net hammock (no protection from anything but the ground), throw the bivy into it and climb in. Bivy provides bug and rain protection, and amazing warmth... and I'm off the ground. Hmmmmm.... I'll have to give this a try. The MSS opens up full length down the side, so no big problem getting in. I might have to give this a try. Super Cheap weather proof hammock.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    you'll likely want a pad inside the bivy, and it will likely need to be wider at your shoulders than is usual on the ground. Assuming you have a pad already (say 20" wide---pretty typical) then an easy fix is to pick up an inexpensive closed cell foam pad and whack off a 28" or so length of it, and put that under your shoulders, making your whole pad set-up kind of like a "T".

Grizz

• + New Posts