Hammock
    BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Praise ad a question abt tarps for BIAS users.

First off I want to reiterate on every post in this forum. BIAS is a great group. I spoke to Brian and he was extremely patient and helpful with this first time hammock user! Great customer service after I wanted to change my order. Highly recommended.

2nd
    Trying to get an idea on tarps for these 11ft BIAS hammocks. I live in GA and it rarely gets below 20* in the winter. Now with spring and summer coming, i don't see the need for doors but would like to get add ons at a later time.

After searching around I see the favorites are the WL tadpole and the superfly by WB. I see WB had doorless tarps with aftermarket door kits. I read about grizbeaks too but haven't look into it more. I'm not a good DIYer so I'm happy to support a small business.

What size/kind of tarps are you using for your bias hammock. Pics/recommendations all welcome.

Oh - I'm not a big hiker but will be using this setup for cycle touring/ bike packing.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    You're lucky with lots of choices available to you. Anything with a 11 foot ridgeline should be more than good for you - 12 ft if you need some extra coverage. Remember that your 11 ft hammock actually hangs at about 108" (your hammock ridgeline) so all you need is to really cover that.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I use a ridgeline of 118" with my BIAS so I tend to use a longer tarp. My 8 X 10 will work for good weather when I don't need a lot of end coverage. Most of the time I will use the Kelty Noah's 12 tarp for better weather protection but the extra weight is a penalty when backpacking. I'm saving up for an Ox Gear Oxbarn which is similar to the Superfly and crafted here in Ga by forum member Orion X. Check them out at oxgearoutfitters.com
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I prefer a 12' ridgeline, I'll be using a 12' HG Cuben on my upcoming Trail Days hike with my WW 1.1 Dbl. I've gotten wet with some lesser length tarps, primarily due to the fact that I didn't take the time to set it up efficiently before I crawled into the hammock. Well, that and the fact that it rained 5 inches that night didn't help.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    IMO choosing to not have doors would be mostly for weight savings. If weight is not an issue then I don't see a down side to having them. They can always be secured back and out of the way until needed. Besides weather protection, if you are at a public camp ground they are also good to have to ensure privacy.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There are some people who don't use a ridgeline, claiming they don't need it to get a good diagonal lay. However, a ridgeline serves a second purpose with 11 ft. hammocks in insuring that you don't have to buy a longer, and therefore heavier tarp just to cover it.

I keep my Weight Weenie Micro ridgeline at 108 inches. My HG CF Winter Palace has a 130 inch ridgeline (10' 10"), so that gives me 11 inches on each end of coverage. The continuous loops at each end of the hammock extend about five inches, so that leaves me with six inches of coverage at each end.

I'm using whoopie hooks on my whoopie slings so they act as a drip string and keep me and my hammock from getting wet. The Winter Palace has doors, so I've never gotten wet.

Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Here is my WWM with my WL Tadpole I also have a Grizz Beak if I need to close off one end all works great together..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Plug for the AHE Toxaway on your other thread.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    BIAS Camper aka "Big Red"
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    PC Broiler-DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    +1 on the guys at BIAS!!!! I have the BIAS Camper Hammock and a Hennessy Hex that I got from JRB. When I need a door on one side, I use my oversized rain poncho to make a Grizz Beak. Works pretty well. The only thing I don't like about the Hex tarp is that it is made in China, but overall a pretty decent tarp for the price. It covers "Big Red" pretty well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Big_Stretch; 05-02-2013 at 10:56.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot

Hammock
    BIAS Camper XL DIY Bugnet
    Tarp
    Camo poly
    Insulation
    Blue ccf
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Praise ad a question abt tarps for BIAS users.

Awesome responses! I forgot who but their logic was sound and has convinced me to go with doors. I'm think the superfly may be the budget friendly bet.

I do have a question about the warbonnet superfly to those who have one, why extra items will I need to purchas? Does it already come with a ridgeline at least?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast