Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ridgeline?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Brian in so cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canyon Country, Ca
    Posts
    411
    Images
    10

    Ridgeline?

    Is there a difference between a structual ridgeline and a ridgeline? I need something that I can adjust the angle of the hammock for more comfort. Also can someone explain how to hook a ridgeline to the Arrowhhead Cinch buckles with chain links?

    Sorry for all the questiions my eyes are getting watery from looking at all the info!

    Thanks,
    Brian
    Rockets, BBQ, Backpacking, Hanging. Not necessarily in that order!!

  2. #2
    craige's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midlothian, Scotland
    Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Zeppelin and sb
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    Posts
    1,454
    Images
    4

    Re: Ridgeline?

    Most hammocks have a structural rl, the difference is that a structural rl will normally be tightish when you lie in the hammock, and will allow you to hang the hammock at a lower angle and still have the same lay (but putting a high strain on all the suspension lines and the rl). A non structural rl can be made out of almost any type of line if you want and is usually only used to keep bug nets off your face and can be used to hang light items from.

    What type of hammock do you have?

    If you buy a rl it will be intended as a structural one and you can buy either a whoopie style or ucr for adjustments.

    You can just larkshead the rl onto the suspension or even get some ti dutch biners so it is easily removable.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Brian in so cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Canyon Country, Ca
    Posts
    411
    Images
    10
    Craige, I have a Eno DN, Thanks for the info. Been trying to figure a way to adjust the angle so I don't slip down so much.
    Rockets, BBQ, Backpacking, Hanging. Not necessarily in that order!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Catavarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Posts
    3,534
    Images
    3
    If you want to make an adjustable ridgeline that is structural as well, this is how I do it:

    1. Determine length of hammock body
    2. Multiply by .85 for a ridgeline length of 85%
    3. Make whoopie sling with 3 to 6 inches of play on either side of that number


    Start with Ridgeline whoopie in the middle and give the hammock a test ride and adjsut longer or shorter as desired.


    If you finding your self sliding towards the foot end of the hammock throughout the night then hang the foot end of your hammock higher, typically 6 inches is enough some find that they need to go as much as a foot higher.


    As for attaching the cinch buckles I'd use a continous loop of amsteel run through the buckles and larks headed through the channels on the hammock, or gather the hammock ends and larks head around the gather.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

    Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

    Trail name: Radar

    2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

  5. #5
    Member SouthCarolinaMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL - 144" TadPole
    Insulation
    WL -3/4UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbiner
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    If you want to make an adjustable ridgeline that is structural as well, this is how I do it:

    1. Determine length of hammock body
    2. Multiply by .85 for a ridgeline length of 85%
    3. Make whoopie sling with 3 to 6 inches of play on either side of that number


    Start with Ridgeline whoopie in the middle and give the hammock a test ride and adjsut longer or shorter as desired.


    If you finding your self sliding towards the foot end of the hammock throughout the night then hang the foot end of your hammock higher, typically 6 inches is enough some find that they need to go as much as a foot higher.


    As for attaching the cinch buckles I'd use a continous loop of amsteel run through the buckles and larks headed through the channels on the hammock, or gather the hammock ends and larks head around the gather.
    Okay so I have pretty much the same question. I have an adjustable structural ridgeline coming from Dutch. I have a WL-LiteOwl which is 11'. So I should start my SR at 112.2 inches? then adjust from there? based upon personal comfort? Is that Correct?
    ____________________

    South Carolina Mike

    Getting Begun is Only Half Done

    http://www.youtube.com/user/SouthCarolinaMike

  6. #6
    Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    745

    Re: Ridgeline?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthCarolinaMike View Post
    Okay so I have pretty much the same question. I have an adjustable structural ridgeline coming from Dutch. I have a WL-LiteOwl which is 11'. So I should start my SR at 112.2 inches? then adjust from there? based upon personal comfort? Is that Correct?
    Most 11' hammocks that come with a non adjustable ridge line are 110"...which is 83% of the hammock length. I'd recommend starting there, but ultimately it comes down to what works for you...
    Next Palmetto State Hangers Hang: Spring Swing @ Huntington Beach State Park

    Palmetto State Hangers is proudly sponsored by and is proud to support: Dream Hammock, Underground Quilts,
    TATO Gear, Ripstop by the Roll, Hound Dog Hammock Gear, & Get Your Gear On.

  7. #7
    SnrMoment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Streamline
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Oxford Knee
    Posts
    1,148
    I made an adjustable ridge line for my 11' BIAS with about a foot of play on each side. I move it around a lot, depending on the hang I want to get and distance between trees. Also, I keep a lot of sag in the hammock and try not to overload the ridge line. It's 2.2 mm Zing-It, so it can take some pressure.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Theosus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in so cal View Post
    Craige, I have a Eno DN, Thanks for the info. Been trying to figure a way to adjust the angle so I don't slip down so much.
    I replaced the end ropes with whoopies. Attach an adjustable ridge line to the whoopies and lay in hammock. Get out, adjust, get out adjust, get out adjust. Then mark the ridge line with a black sharpie in case it moves. Then go hiking.
    For more info, read:

    My personal blog

Similar Threads

  1. Continuos Ridgeline vs 2 piece Ridgeline
    By chulabooner in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-07-2014, 15:17
  2. Do I need a ridgeline?
    By outbackpacker3 in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 00:12
  3. do i NEED a ridgeline?
    By G-FOURce in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-24-2012, 15:09
  4. Tarp ridgeline under/over/no ridgeline
    By NickJ in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 08:53
  5. JRB 8X8 Ridgeline
    By eflat7 in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 15:36

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •