Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Safari Ta
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Carabiner / Rings
    So, this has been a thought on my mind for years, and watching this video only intensifies my urges. I watched that entire Ray Mears video about him going to Kanarakuni and living there for a week and I was so intrigued.

I've often thought about finding a small village like the one found in Kanarakuni, and moving there, if they'd have me. Just leave everything behind for a simple life. Cooking, gathering, hunting, and building. Subsistence living just sounds profoundly more successful to me than this life I currently live. Am I alone on this thought? Am I really so crazy to seriously consider something like this?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I'd never seen the first link so thank you for that. It was pretty magical how he retaught those natives how to make fire, a skill they will not soon let be forgotten.
    "The more laws that are written, the more criminals are produced." - "The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao Tze

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Ephesians 6:10-17

Hammock Forums is my social network.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by FBG View Post
    I want his tarp. End of story.
    You can pick it up from Aus surplus stores for around $45AUS

It's cheaper to import one over here than to buy from Uncle Ray

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyGalles View Post

I've often thought about finding a small village like the one found in Kanarakuni, and moving there, if they'd have me. Just leave everything behind for a simple life. Cooking, gathering, hunting, and building.
    Subsistence living just sounds profoundly more successful to me than this life I currently live. Am I alone on this thought?
    I think success is a subjective function of a society, but I can assure you that lifestyle is much more emotionally and spiritually rewarding.

Am I really so crazy to seriously consider something like this?
    No, in fact I think its more crazy to struggle for that subjective success that is so ellusive in this social structure. It all really has no purpose other than to make rich people richer. We don't need them or their riches, nature can and will provide all we need.

A wise man once told a rich and powerful man... “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
    "The more laws that are written, the more criminals are produced." - "The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Lao Tze

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Ephesians 6:10-17

Hammock Forums is my social network.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    His tarp is too short for most hammocks.
    We had a guy using this tarp on a Borneo trip last year. His hammock (a DD Hammock Travel, a 9-footer) got soaked already on the first night because the ends weren't covered by the tarp. We ended up having to extend the tarp length with some plastic to keep him dry.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    His hammock setup costs a small fortune and it doesn't look to be available on his website any longer. The tarp and bugnet looked good but I wasn't a fan of his hammock (looked a bit short).
    His hammock setup hasn't been available since at least 2007. Don't know why he kept it in his web-shop for so long before removing it.
    The bugnet is great, but it's way too heavy. There are other bugnets out there which are equally good but weigh a lot less.
    Last edited by Karl; 05-03-2013 at 08:56.
    Good judgement comes from experience - Experience comes from bad judgement

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    FBG, it is also apparent when Ray goes to the Amazon and asks the locals how they make a fire with traditional methods and when they fail they say that is is a skill they don't use since they now have lighters. Then Ray shows them how he does a hand drill (the method they were attempting) and gets a flame, then they "relearn" the skill from him and the next day they are successfully spinning sticks on boards to make fire.
    I saw the same scenario play out in his 'Ray Mears Extreme Survival' Maori (sp?) episode yesterday. A tribe historian had been trying to work out how they used to make fire from old photos, but couldn't get it to work. Ray took a look at a picture and said 'that's a plow technique' and got to work... He said he hated the method, because it's very difficult, but had a fire going in no time. Then they showed all the children from the tribe trying the plow technique for themselves. Truly amazing that a guy like Ray is so well studied, and more importantly experienced in not only survival techniques but in indiginous survival techniques, that he can give them insight into their own practices. Love me some Ray.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY Xtrekker style 12'er
    Tarp
    DIY Hex w/ doors
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    I think success is a subjective function of a society, but I can assure you that lifestyle is much more emotionally and spiritually rewarding.

No, in fact I think its more crazy to struggle for that subjective success that is so ellusive in this social structure. It all really has no purpose other than to make rich people richer. We don't need them or their riches, nature can and will provide all we need.

A wise man once told a rich and powerful man... “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Amen and Amen!
    Leonard Outdoors Custom Antler Handle Fire Starters

Hammock
    WBBB / UKH expedition
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks uq+tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies/dutchware
    I had the full set up, the hammock was quite large with plenty of room, solid build but very heavy, the bug net was good. I had the tarp for when I slept on the ground but as others have said, too small for hammocks. I sold the tarp years ago but hung onto the hammock and bug net until earlier this year when I sold them on as they were not getting used due to lighter and better hammocks and tarps that are available to us now.
    Back in the day when Ray used to teach on the UK courses I did a number of them with him, he is a sound fella with a very extensive knowledge that he delights in sharing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Have a look at the tarps at bushcraft outfitters,,,,,,,,,,similar to Ray's.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    be sure to check out the YT users other vids... tons of great mears vids there. I been really enjoying his wild edibles series.

They use hammocks in the Ewan Mcgregor episode as well.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein